VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2000 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a nice and relatively short article on aspect correction and non-square pixels:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/FelipePepe/201 … spect_ratio.php
A bit about scaling too, but I think dgVoodoo2 does just a bilinear scale (?) and you shouldn't worry too much about it. You should still read it because it's interesting though.

Reply 2002 of 3949, by RJ8

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys,

I started a list of DGVoodoo compatible games here http://megalist.interkohl.com/gamelist.php?choose=dgvoodoo . In order to add a new game choose one under the main list and submit
"dgvoodoo" in the form under "additional infromation". Thanks

Request a game profile for VorpX - VorpX Inofficial Gamelist - RJs VorpX Games

Reply 2003 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RJ8 wrote:

Hello guys,

I started a list of DGVoodoo compatible games here http://megalist.interkohl.com/gamelist.php?choose=dgvoodoo . In order to add a new game choose one under the main list and submit

Blood 2 is on Steam.

Reply 2004 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:
Dege wrote:
But why? 320/200 == 1.6, 640/400 == 1.6, so they are 16:10 resolutions. […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

Oh and Nvidia broke their AR correction for 320x200 in their latest drivers. Can you fix yours so I don't have to rely on that? Currently dgVooodoo2 AR corrects 320x200 to 16:10 when it obviously should be 4:3.

But why?
320/200 == 1.6, 640/400 == 1.6,
so they are 16:10 resolutions.

You can't assume pixels are supposed to be perfectly square with CRT monitors. Those games were made for 4:3 monitors with non-square pixels.

Most of us were not using widescreen monitors in the DOS days.

Yes, it's true, but in fact, on CRTs every resolution was 4:3, ending in non-squre pixels.
But maybe I'm wrong and late "smart-CRT" monitors could do some AR correction.

How could it be handled in practice? dgVoodoo supports arbitrary resolutions, so putting some of the classics like 320x200, etc., onto an exception list is not the way I think. What should happen with 321x201? 😁
(I'm going to read the article, thanks!!)

Firtasik wrote:

Bejeweled Twist hangs on startup (WIP21).

I only have its demo but it seem to work fine (altough I had to wait a little at the beginning for sg happening).

RJ8 wrote:

Hello guys,

Cool! 😎

Edit: cool article. Isn't there a CRT-like postprocess shader in ReShade or other postprocessor app?

Reply 2006 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
Yes, it's true, but in fact, on CRTs every resolution was 4:3, ending in non-squre pixels. But maybe I'm wrong and late "smart-C […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:
Dege wrote:

But why?

You can't assume pixels are supposed to be perfectly square with CRT monitors. Those games were made for 4:3 monitors with non-square pixels.

Most of us were not using widescreen monitors in the DOS days.

Yes, it's true, but in fact, on CRTs every resolution was 4:3, ending in non-squre pixels.
But maybe I'm wrong and late "smart-CRT" monitors could do some AR correction.

How could it be handled in practice? dgVoodoo supports arbitrary resolutions, so putting some of the classics like 320x200, etc., onto an exception list is not the way I think. What should happen with 321x201? 😁

I don't think there are any hints for the pixel aspect ratio, so there's no automatic way of knowing. And all the suggestions I have are really against your "less confusing options" philosophy. An exception list really sounds like the cleanest solution to me. How many non-square pixel PC resolutions do we have? I really can only think of those two.

Dege wrote:

Edit: cool article. Isn't there a CRT-like postprocess shader in ReShade or other postprocessor app?

Yes, but IIRC they're not very good.

Last edited by ZellSF on 2016-05-11, 13:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2007 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
Driver-forced AF filtering still not applied (in Pandora Tomorrow) […]
Show full quote

Driver-forced AF filtering still not applied (in Pandora Tomorrow)

Splinter_Cell2_2016_05_11_12_33_40_830.jpg

One can only hope to see all the Splinter Cell issues fixed.
The irony in this is that all shadows are there but the atmosphere is far from the original.
Komat wrapper seems to capture the atmosphere but has some problems with shadows and color of the light 😀

Ohh the irony.... 😀

The only way this game will be fixed fully is by having special fixes for it and this might never happen.

Reply 2008 of 3949, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

But why?

320x200, 640x400, 640x350, 640x200, 720x400 etc have used 4:3 CRTs. They are all 4:3.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2009 of 3949, by Marev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and first of all, thanks for this amazing program - it really works like a charm in most of the old games I tried! 😀 However, I came across a first game that just doesn't work on Windows 10, whatever I try. It is a little-known game called "Lost Idols" - the demo of it can be downloaded here: http://www.suricate-software.com/lostidols/lostidols.html. I think I tried every possible combination of options but it refuses to work properly - it just shows a black screen. Sometimes after starting the game the "intro animation" can be seen but it freezes a few seconds later. Minimizing the game and maximizing it might fix the problem occasionally but usually the game just crashes.

If you manage to fix this problem, I will be very grateful 😀

Reply 2010 of 3949, by krongo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
krongo wrote:

made 2nd test - fps drop using flashlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGG4Z_n6jI

Could you attach a savegame plz?
I'd try it myself.

of course,game version 1.0.9.6, Single Player Map Update also installed.

Attachments

• Filename
    Save.rar
    File size
    124.07 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2011 of 3949, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried the new WIP version, 2.52 WIP, and I was finally able to enjoy Moto Racer 2 in anything above 1024x768!!! 😁

Playing it in 1920x1440 was like a dream come true. I had some issues with choppy framerates however, but all I had to do was to enable "Enumerate Refresh Rates" and change to a resolution at 60 hz. Look's like it defaulted to 25 hz or something like that while leaving the enumerate checkbox unchecked.

I was also finally able to play the ancient Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 game at a proper resolution (never managed to get the thirteenag custom-resolution patch to work on this game).

Delta Force Land Warrior however goes apeshit while running this wrapper. As soon as I start a single- or multiplayer game, the player starts spinning around looking at the sky like he's possessed by a demon. The very same thing happened in dgvoodoo 2.51 also.

Moto Racer 1 has some issues though. Starting the game while checking "passthrough to a real directx card" makes the game run as it should with the "crippled" 640x480 resolution. While using the dgvoodoo wrapper however a message pops up as soon as I start the race, telling me "not enough video memory direct3d not available in this mode". Thereby the game still runs at 640x480 at software mode (Moto Racer 1 needs a Windows 10 patch to function, even the GOG version).

As I mention some posts ago Re-Volt does not respond well with this wrapper; only displaying garbled graphics in the menus (even though RVGL makes the old original install of Re-Volt obsolete, maybe some other games I do not know of share the same issues?)

I have a question that might sound a bit odd; but is it possible to somehow enable a widescreen hack to 4:3 games in this wrapper, like done on some emulators such as Dolphin? Dolphin somehow makes the FOV wider, not making everything in game stretched (only the menus get stretched as I recall it).

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 2012 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gagster wrote:

Moto Racer 1 has some issues though. Starting the game while checking "passthrough to a real directx card" makes the game run as it should with the "crippled" 640x480 resolution. While using the dgvoodoo wrapper however a message pops up as soon as I start the race, telling me "not enough video memory direct3d not available in this mode". Thereby the game still runs at 640x480 at software mode (Moto Racer 1 needs a Windows 10 patch to function, even the GOG version).

Did you try assigning more vram in dgVoodoosetup?

Reply 2013 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gagster wrote:

I have a question that might sound a bit odd; but is it possible to somehow enable a widescreen hack to 4:3 games in this wrapper, like done on some emulators such as Dolphin? Dolphin somehow makes the FOV wider, not making everything in game stretched (only the menus get stretched as I recall it).

FOV management is game-dependant. It's impossible to implement a generic FOV manager (for the games using the same engine too).

Reply 2014 of 3949, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Gagster wrote:

Did you try assigning more vram in dgVoodoosetup?

Yep; turned it all up to 1024 MB.

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 2015 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

I only have its demo but it seem to work fine (altough I had to wait a little at the beginning for sg happening).

Deleted D3D8.dll and now Bejeweled Twist is running fine in DX9 HW mode (!). It hangs (freezes) with D3D8.dll, sometimes in the main menu.

Gagster wrote:

I'm getting this even with older versions (used to work fine) of dgV2 now. Microsoft's fault?

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 2016 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
daniel_u wrote:
One can only hope to see all the Splinter Cell issues fixed. The irony in this is that all shadows are there but the atmosphere […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:
Driver-forced AF filtering still not applied (in Pandora Tomorrow) […]
Show full quote

Driver-forced AF filtering still not applied (in Pandora Tomorrow)

Splinter_Cell2_2016_05_11_12_33_40_830.jpg

One can only hope to see all the Splinter Cell issues fixed.
The irony in this is that all shadows are there but the atmosphere is far from the original.
Komat wrapper seems to capture the atmosphere but has some problems with shadows and color of the light 😀

Ohh the irony.... 😀

The only way this game will be fixed fully is by having special fixes for it and this might never happen.

Yes, but AF-forcing is not part of the game :p
The missing AF applications is a problem between d3d11 driver/dgvoodoo2 'cause with komat d3d8 wrapper the AF is correctly applied.
Maybe there's some strange limitations in AMD drivers (I'm testing Pandora Tomorrow with a Radeon 7850).

Reply 2017 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another game that benefits greatly from the resolution override is SonicR (D3D6/DDRAW).

img4961bbf0a379d1b40afb2b0c500bd5cb.jpg

img1096db6026011c2b7a1d34ab339d09fd.jpg

It just hangs a bit when the CDDA music take in place. I'm not sure if its a dgVoodoo problem, i have noticed that in other games also with dgVoodoo, no matter if the CDDA are emulated (daemon) or translated through _inmm.

Reply 2018 of 3949, by Garrett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gagster wrote:

Some older games already work correctly with widescreen resolutions that are within the resolution limit. Moto Racer 2 sees resolutions up to 1024x768, so you can set up a custom widescreen resolution for your display that is within this limit (1024x576 for 16:9, 1024x640 for 16:10, etc.) and choose that resolution in-game, then force your native resolution in dgVoodoo 2. Moto Racer 2 has a correctly scaled HUD whereas many other games will have the HUD stretched from 4:3.

MotoRacer2-widescreen.jpg
Filename
MotoRacer2-widescreen.jpg
File size
216.8 KiB
Views
File comment
Moto Racer 2 in 1920x1080 (in-game resolution 1024x576)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2019 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More resolution forcing fun:

Might and Magic VI: No change, probably all software rendered. Actually there is one change: mouse doesn't work in new game screen.

Nelson Piquet's Gran Prix Evolution: Doesn't work in dgVoodoo2.

Star Wars - Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight: resolution forcing works, but Jedi Knight seems to do some geometry correction at higher resolutions that dgVoodoo2 doesn't do. Playing it at 640x480 forced to 1920x1440 doesn't look all that pretty in motion. Still better than playing it at 640x480 without resolution forcing just to see the UI.

Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire: Seems to work, though I haven't gotten past the first level.

Attachments