VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2500 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm retesting postal 2 with multiple versions and i don't know which version did it but it broke postal 2.
Attaching dgvoodoo.conf and also here's a video showing what goes on:
Video
if Youtube screws up the encoding, first part where it's working is in native/passthrough. second part where black screen is dgVoodoo d3d8.

Attachments

• Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    127 Bytes
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File comment
    Postal 2 Config
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2501 of 3949, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege,

I just completed to play Nocturne game from the beginning to the end. It works as fine as native (lags in the menu), just a very minor glitch on first mission that do not affect gameplay at all. I think you can add it to the general test webpage as fully OK.

Please note you have to select ATi8500 otherwise game crashes.

Hope this was helpful.

Reply 2502 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx for the report, Guys!

I'm strongly lagging behind but already fixed some things.
My goal is to fix as many other things as possible and release a new version soon.

JJXB wrote:
I'm retesting postal 2 with multiple versions and i don't know which version did it but it broke postal 2. Attaching dgvoodoo.co […]
Show full quote

I'm retesting postal 2 with multiple versions and i don't know which version did it but it broke postal 2.
Attaching dgvoodoo.conf and also here's a video showing what goes on:
Video
if Youtube screws up the encoding, first part where it's working is in native/passthrough. second part where black screen is dgVoodoo d3d8.

It's because of an incompatibility between dgVoodoo/MS D3D8, this problem was present in all dgVoodoo versions and occurs with Unreal-engine games in windowed mode.
Anyway, I fixed it.

Reply 2504 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I Was an Atomic Mutant (D3D8) works perfectly fine ingame but menu and transition screens are cropped and duplicated in smaller windows, i cant even see the options. You can still make an user and click around to start. Intro video is also wrong. I have tried a few window/fullscreen modes.

Mutant%2525202016-08-23%25252017-14-47-02.jpg
Mutant%2525202016-08-23%25252017-14-49-01.jpg
Mutant%2525202016-08-23%25252017-15-26-47.jpg
Mutant%2525202016-08-23%25252017-16-00-54.jpg
Mutant%2525202016-08-23%25252017-16-17-15.jpg

_inmm doesnt with CDDA as far as i tested, but well, not dgvoodoo's problem.

Reply 2505 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shadow Company - Left for Dead: Resolution forcing and antialiasing works, natively the game is limited to 1600x1200 (1280x720 widescreen works) and UI gets ridiculously tiny at 1440p/4K (well it would get if you hacked the executable to ru at those resolutions). dgVoodoo2 solves both issues.

Donald Duck - Goin' Quackers: Resolution forcing and antialiasing works, but there's a 1px blue border at the top and left of the screen. Natively the game is limited to uh... "low", "medium" or "high" resolutions.

Heart of Darkness: Works, but frequently corrupts palette for some frames during video playback. Windows native does the same, DxWnd does not.

Reply 2506 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:
Dege wrote:

I'm strongly lagging behind but already fixed some things.
My goal is to fix as many other things as possible and release a new version soon.

No prob as long you dont quit. 😀

Any news regarding the shiny texture bug in SC?

I examined what happens there but unfortunately haven't find the solution:

Shiny floor is rendered in 1 or 2 passes, depending on how the engine optimizes things (when it decides not to draw shadows then it renders it in 1 pass).
2 passes is OK, 1 pass is too shiny. According to the formula it uses, shininess is OK.
One strange thing is that the engine make DX generate the reflection vector for sampling the "reflection texture" which should be a cube texture (but this is true for the 2-pass case too).
But SC1 only set a plain 2d one instead.
So, it's hard to figure it out what happens on a GF4, it's a driver (or chip) bug, and so, I think SC1 relied on a buggy driver.
Since only fixed function pixel pipeline is used, and 2-pass uses max 3 stages while 1-pass uses 4 stages, I guess it's misinterpreting the pipeline in the driver (under unknown circumstances).
(Once I read somewhere that GF hacked user-plane clipping into its last texture stage, but I cannot remember if it was a GF2 or a GF4, so all the stages couldn't always be used.
Maybe some legacy logic -related to this- in GF4 drivers caused this?)

Reply 2508 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Well, if so there's no way to cure it :p About the weapon (cubemap? lightmap?) skin in Chrome Specforce? Which is the correct be […]
Show full quote

I think SC1 relied on a buggy driver.

Well, if so there's no way to cure it :p
About the weapon (cubemap? lightmap?) skin in Chrome Specforce? Which is the correct behaviour? 😁

-> Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Probably the native one.
Could you attach the savegame for the location, plz?

stranno wrote:

I Was an Atomic Mutant (D3D8) works perfectly fine ingame but menu and transition screens are cropped and duplicated in smaller windows, i cant even see the options. You can still make an user and click around to start. Intro video is also wrong. I have tried a few window/fullscreen modes.

Had a quick look and fixed it. Altough the game doesn't work properly in 16 bit screen modes, nor natively nor through dgVoodoo. Only 32 bit is fine.

Reply 2510 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:
Well, if so there's no way to cure it :p About the weapon (cubemap? lightmap?) skin in Chrome Specforce? Which is the correct be […]
Show full quote

I think SC1 relied on a buggy driver.

Well, if so there's no way to cure it :p
About the weapon (cubemap? lightmap?) skin in Chrome Specforce? Which is the correct behaviour? 😁

-> Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Probably the native one.
Could you attach the savegame for the location, plz?

It's the first step of the first mission of Chrome Specforce 😁

Reply 2516 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

It seems there's some kind of problem between your resolution handling and Crosire's ReShade 3, often I get the frame curiously stretched using "Centered" mode (and on top of the chain ReShade 3 - dxgi.dll)
With "Unspecified" there's no problem.

The stretching is only on the monitor, the screenshots are right 😒

Nevermind, it was a Catalyst Settings reset that altered my display settings 😉

Reply 2518 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given as DirectX 1-7 games tend to have issues with large amounts of VRAM, would it be possible to add a special, optional, and pre-DX8 memory limit to the general profile? It would be set to the highest known value acceptable by pre-DX8 games in general by default, and it would ensure DX8/8.1 games could get access to more VRAM by default without breaking pre-DX8 games and without requiring the user to create per-game profiles.

Reply 2519 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, here is the new WIP but it doesn't contain everything I wanted to do:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP26.zip

- The setup app is now per-monitor DPI-aware for sharp appearance
- Some games were broken due to the new vertex-buffering algorythm, fixed
- Some D3D bugs are fixed:
* reflection vector calculation in fixed function vertex pipeline
* interpreting ps1.x instruction pairing in some cases, fixed
* other small pixel shading incompatibilities are fixed
- Some D3D8 bugs are also fixed (I was an Atomic Mutant, Giants, Silent Hill 3, Postal 2)

Sorry for still not responding to private messages (and others), I will.

Finally I was managed to reproduce the mipmapping bug in PSOBB.
According to the logs coning from dgVoodoo and native DX8, this game utilizes one of the internal MS DX8 behavior/trait for texture data uploading (non-standard driving the D3D8 API).
It isn't currently compatible with dgVoodoo (can even cause crash!), but I think I understand what the game does.
However, I don't want to include the "fix" in the next version because it'd involve refactoring some code, what'd endanger stabitilty.