VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2740 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stranno wrote:
Myloch wrote:

Onimusha 1 pc crashes when trying to run it with dgvoodoo2 (vanilla or patched 1.2)

The japanese version works for me in Windows 7 (patch 1.02) but it have lots of rendering errors. Main character and enemies are partially invisible. Without any wrapper it works fine. I have to try the english version.

Oddly enough, it doesn't crash anymore (maybe because I reset amd settings to default), however this is what happens now:

2016_10_17_15_03_43.jpg
You might wonder why I'm trying to use dgvoodoo2 on a game like this...well...because it's blurred like hell! Backgrounds are bitmap prerendered images, most probably @640x480 or lower, but this games adds a lot of blur to everything for some reason, I'm pretty sure there's a way to make it a bit more crisp.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2741 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I guess someone could hack the setup.exe file to remove the version check, then it might work, as setup.exe calls tourcars.exe (it doesn't pass it any parameters, as I checked with Process Monitor), and you can't launch the game directly from tourcars.exe

This should do it. Still doesn't work with dgVoodoo though.

Thanks, you're right though, it doesn't work at all. Even if I turn on Win98 mode on your exe, it then (conversely) says that it won't work on Win32/NT machines, as though you flipped a switch?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2742 of 3949, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Onimusha for PC is a barebones PS2 port for the chinese market, the original PS2 resolution was 512x448 and I really doubt that Konami re-rendered the backgrounds, so they probably thought that filtering the backgrounds to the final resolution was a good idea, and in a 15" CRT it doesn't look too bad, but in a modern monitor... let's say it's not pretty.
Since the backgrounds are prerendered low resolution images, I doubt you can obtain something decent tinkering with wrappers and fiters. In fact, if you use PCSX2 at a high resolution, you obtain exactly that, nice models and blurry backgrounds.

Reply 2743 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been doing screenshots of various racing games rendered up into 1080p, and most look great! Especially Hydro Thunder, I think.

Anyway, whilst I can get Moto Racer 2 working fine in HD, Moto Racer 1 works in the menus, then reverts to DIrectDraw in-game, saying there's not enough memory. I suspect one of the command line things needs setting specifically possibly, as I tried using more graphics memory in dgVoodoo, to no effect. I'm running the DotEmu/Anuman version with the GOG launcher (as the original release had the 4th gear lock in Moto Racer 2 and MR1 would barely work).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2744 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
teleguy wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I guess someone could hack the setup.exe file to remove the version check, then it might work, as setup.exe calls tourcars.exe (it doesn't pass it any parameters, as I checked with Process Monitor), and you can't launch the game directly from tourcars.exe

This should do it. Still doesn't work with dgVoodoo though.

Thanks, you're right though, it doesn't work at all. Even if I turn on Win98 mode on your exe, it then (conversely) says that it won't work on Win32/NT machines, as though you flipped a switch?

Yep, I just inversed the Windows version check.

What do you mean with it doesn't work at all?
Setup.exe was acting a bit fishy for me as well. At first I saved the file as setup.exe. Running the game without dgVoodoo worked fine but with it it immediately said "tourcars.exe stopped responding" when launching the actual game, same as running the unpatched setup.exe in Win 98 mode with dgVoodoo. Before I uploaded the modified setup.exe to vogons.org I decided to rename it to setup-patched.exe in order to not cause any confusion or mixups. The game still worked fine in native mode but I noticed the compatibility tab had disappeared from the properties of the exe for some reason. So I gave setup a new name again and this time tourcars.exe didn't launch at all when I clicked on "Play" on the setup window. After that I had to rename setup.exe several times till it functioned properly again. No idea why this happens, maybe Windows is forcing some conflicting compatibility mode on that executable.

Reply 2745 of 3949, by Arko86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

SCDA is D3D9.

Out of the scope of this project, now.

I know, but still would be cool.

ed barber wrote:

SCDA was a buggy PC port, to begin with (even buggier than Pandora Tomorrow was on release). I actually don't think they even added in some of the effects, to begin with. Stuff like that probably has different transparency levels and HDR levels or something like that. The PC version is more comparable to the PS3 version which looks closer in comparison. TBH, it would be nice if there was a water fix for Far Cry in dgVoodoo as the land mass reflection doesn't even appear on anything newer than Windows XP. The wine fix works but is unoptimized and unstable.

I know, but most game breaking bugs are squashed or worked around. I have the X360 version but I refuse to play a game at 30 fps. Also the effects are there in the PS3 version.

However the effects aren't missing, they are most likely not utilised by the game.

@Dege if you are interested, ice turns translucent when using night goggles and the light source can be seen.

Reply 2746 of 3949, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:
Oddly enough, it doesn't crash anymore (maybe because I reset amd settings to default), however this is what happens now: […]
Show full quote
stranno wrote:
Myloch wrote:

Onimusha 1 pc crashes when trying to run it with dgvoodoo2 (vanilla or patched 1.2)

The japanese version works for me in Windows 7 (patch 1.02) but it have lots of rendering errors. Main character and enemies are partially invisible. Without any wrapper it works fine. I have to try the english version.

Oddly enough, it doesn't crash anymore (maybe because I reset amd settings to default), however this is what happens now:

2016_10_17_15_03_43.jpg
You might wonder why I'm trying to use dgvoodoo2 on a game like this...well...because it's blurred like hell! Backgrounds are bitmap prerendered images, most probably @640x480 or lower, but this games adds a lot of blur to everything for some reason, I'm pretty sure there's a way to make it a bit more crisp.

I'm gonna try to write a patch for this game myself, force higher resolution and disable filtering for the backgrounds if necessary

Reply 2747 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:

the original PS2 resolution was 512x448 and I really doubt that Konami re-rendered the backgrounds, so they probably thought that filtering the backgrounds to the final resolution was a good idea, and in a 15" CRT it doesn't look too bad, but in a modern monitor... let's say it's not pretty.

It's like they heavily made use of bilinear filtering on everything or similar. I think that best output for modern monitors would be a scaling method that doesn't softens background image pixels (nearest scaling maybe?) and high res 3d characters. It has to be directly verified though.

Peixoto wrote:

I'm gonna try to write a patch for this game myself, force higher resolution and disable filtering for the backgrounds if necessary

Someone will surely really appreciate that 😉

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2748 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an intersting issue related to the wrapper (d3d8.dll), I have bought a new monitor with gsync from nvidia
I set up vsync off in nvidia CP and also gsync ON. I limited the fps with nvidia inspector to 58 fps. Now for all the games i see that the FPS is at 58.
With DgVooDoo d3d8.dll this is not working (SCPT). I see 120 fps.

Why this limitation does not work with dgVoodoo?

Reply 2749 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
I have an intersting issue related to the wrapper (d3d8.dll), I have bought a new monitor with gsync from nvidia I set up vsync […]
Show full quote

I have an intersting issue related to the wrapper (d3d8.dll), I have bought a new monitor with gsync from nvidia
I set up vsync off in nvidia CP and also gsync ON. I limited the fps with nvidia inspector to 58 fps. Now for all the games i see that the FPS is at 58.

Maybe nvidia inspector is not compatible with directx 8.

Reply 2752 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
willow wrote:
lowenz wrote:

NVI is simply a database editor.

Maybe framerate limiter turning on in nvidia inspector is not comaptible with directx 8. It's just a supposition to explain your problem.

Other Dx 8 games are getting caped. Like Max Payne 1 or SCPT(after removing the dgvoodoo d3d8.dll).

Tried the Vsync option in the configurator, didnt see any change. Max FPS is 120, still.

Reply 2753 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
willow wrote:
lowenz wrote:

NVI is simply a database editor.

Maybe framerate limiter turning on in nvidia inspector is not comaptible with directx 8. It's just a supposition to explain your problem.

Other Dx 8 games are getting caped. Like Max Payne 1 or SCPT(after removing the dgvoodoo d3d8.dll).

Tried the Vsync option in the configurator, didnt see any change. Max FPS is 120, still.

Is it a problem to have 120 FPS? This game is speed sensitive?

Have you tried framerate limiter included in soft like msi afterburner?

Reply 2754 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
willow wrote:

Is it a problem to have 120 FPS? This game is speed sensitive?

Have you tried framerate limiter included in soft like msi afterburner?

Yes and no.
Yes, because the game was build around 30 fps. You' ll see beams moving way to fast. Breaks the mood of the game.
No, because 30 fps is a real stinker. And 120 means screen tearing when you have 60 fps monitor.

I was trying to have nvidia gsync working.

I didnt try MSI 's limiter. I didnt manage to find the option in the newer versions.

Reply 2756 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:
I have an intersting issue related to the wrapper (d3d8.dll), I have bought a new monitor with gsync from nvidia I set up vsync […]
Show full quote

Could you try it all with Glide emulation?

I have a long-lasting interesting issue: frame limiting should work through dgVoodoo itself. You just select or type the desired refresh rate in(to) the resolution selector combobox in dgVoodooSetup.
This works for Glide but not for DirectX (I have just re-checked it on a Win10 machine).

>Edit: for DX, the refresh rate seems to be rounded to the nearest supported display frequency, while for Glide I can set arbitrary, say 11Hz, refresh rates.<

Currently I have no clue at all why it is, the code handling this is shared between the two.
So there must be some basic difference between them that I couldn't yet figure out. Maybe this difference affects external fps limiters somehow.

Reply 2757 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Could you try it all with Glide emulation? […]
Show full quote

Could you try it all with Glide emulation?

I have a long-lasting interesting issue: frame limiting should work through dgVoodoo itself. You just select or type the desired refresh rate in(to) the resolution selector combobox in dgVoodooSetup.
This works for Glide but not for DirectX (I have just re-checked it on a Win10 machine).

>Edit: for DX, the refresh rate seems to be rounded to the nearest supported display frequency, while for Glide I can set arbitrary, say 11Hz, refresh rates.<

Currently I have no clue at all why it is, the code handling this is shared between the two.
So there must be some basic difference between them that I couldn't yet figure out. Maybe this difference affects external fps limiters somehow.

So it seems MSI afterburner does apply the limitation with dgvodoo dll. Cool.

I tried to put the desired refresh rate in(to) the resolution combox but it doesnt get set. Do you mean selecting the resolution with desired resfred rate?

Reply 2758 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use RTSS, the statistics server included with MSI Afterburner. It does work great for FPS limiting in dgVoodoo2, without being limited to refresh rates (few people have 30hz refresh rates, but there are games that need to be limited to that).

It's somewhat tricky to enable from Afterburner actually, you need to enable the OSD in Afterburner's settings... That should start a separate app visible in the tray, open that and set the FPS limit to what you want.

Reply 2759 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I got Moto Racer 1 (using GOG launcher with manual settings of: -DoRealLock -OpaqueBlackLevel3 -Pal16 -TextureSquareOnly -CorrectRatioTextures -TextureVideoMem268435456 -FrameRateMax0) to work, I had to use ATI Radeon 8500 setting in dgVoodoo.

Framerate's not as smooth as without dgVoodoo though.