I gave Codename Eagle a try. I used version 1.36 (with 1.33 level 1 fix). Version 1.41 (latest official version) broke singleplayer (random floating point error crash) so 1.33/1.36 seems to be the latest working patch. I also used the following game settings:
Sound channels: 16
My system configuration:
Windows 10 64-bit version 1703 with DirectPlay selected under legacy components
Intel i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz
Radeon HD 7900 series GPU with driver version 18.4.1
dgVoodoo2 version 2.55.1
* Stock, Direct3D: Starts up ok, new game, first mission, crash to desktop with "InitD3D fails" message box.
* Stock, 3Dfx (640x480x16): Starts up ok, new game, first mission, crash to desktop with "glide not found" message box.
* dgVoodoo, Direct3D (800x600x32, 1920x1080x32): The main menu seems oddly low quality, kinda pixelated I suppose? Otherwise the game seems to work fine aside from the occasional crash. Fortunately game loading times are short on a modern system so restarting and reloading the game after a crash - while annoying - wasn't intolerably bad. I managed to finish the singleplayer campaign. CE was kinda buggy even back in the day when it ran on a 800 MHz Pentium III so this may or may not have anything to do with dgVoodoo.
* dgVoodoo, 3Dfx (640x480x16): Low quality menu, starts up ok, new game, first mission, game exists fullscreen mode and ends up in a small window on the upper left of the monitor. It seems to work but is unplayable due to the small size of the window and because it doesn't capture the mouse.
* nGlide 2.00, 3Dfx (640x480x16/1920x1080): High quality menu. I managed to play through a mission. Unfortunately, after winning or when attempting to enter the main menu (using ESC-key), the game crashes to desktop with "MenuApp() break 1" message box.