VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3462 of 3949, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Through a google search I was directed here by the post made regarding older Nancy Drew games by Ithilin. It feels miraculously lucky to have this be such an extremely recent post and response since they aren't too popular and posts are pretty rare if not nonexistent outside of the official site. Im receiving the same error: 'InitDirectDraw(), pSDestSurface() - DDERR_SURFACEBUSY - Access to this surface is being refused because the surface is already locked by another thread.' Im also using the latest released version of dgvoodoo2. This is my first time ever trying the truly incredible dgvoodoo and unfortunately wish I wouldn't have encountered incompatibility right away, darn it. Anyways, I saw that this bug would be fixed in the next update (WIP41) and am wondering if I should hold off playing them if it won't be too long. Am just wondering if there's any sort of ETA for the release of WIP41 since through looking at previous releases the timeframes are kind of all over the place. So just didn't know if there was any sort of update of this one coming soon or not. (: Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by IMeganElisabeth on 2018-02-10, 16:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3463 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

Anyways, I saw that this bug would be fixed in the next update (WIP41) and am wondering if I should hold off playing them if it won't be too long. Am just wondering if there's any sort of ETA for the release of WIP41 since through looking at previous releases the timeframes are kind of all over the place. So just didn't know if there was any sort of update of this one coming soon or not. (: Thank you so much in advance.

Current WIP version is WIP42: Re: WIP versions
Please note that like all WIP versions, it is NOT a release version and there may be additional bugs.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3464 of 3949, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

Anyways, I saw that this bug would be fixed in the next update (WIP41) and am wondering if I should hold off playing them if it won't be too long. Am just wondering if there's any sort of ETA for the release of WIP41 since through looking at previous releases the timeframes are kind of all over the place. So just didn't know if there was any sort of update of this one coming soon or not. (: Thank you so much in advance.

Current WIP version is WIP42: Re: WIP versions
Please note that like all WIP versions, it is NOT a release version and there may be additional bugs.

I had no idea you were able to download WIP versions like this! It was stated this specific bug was already fixed and added to WIP41 so hopefully it will work now! I think I'll just use WIP141. Do I just download the zip and the files are the same as the official releases that I add to the game or is it different? Thank you again SO very much! It's amazing to be able to have it now when I didn't think it was possible until another release!

Reply 3465 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the files are the same as the ones included in an official release.
The difference between official and WIP releases is WIP versions aren't extensively tested, so they may break something that works with official ones.

Nancy Drew games should work with the latest WIP, I already fixed the bug you mentioned.

BTW, I should release new official version. 2.54 feels a bit outdated.

Reply 3466 of 3949, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so so very much for all of your incredible work! This is truly an incredible surprise as I thought I would have to wait for the next official release which I've seen can be many many many months. I greatly appreciate you updated my and keeping on top of bugs like this so quickly!! Also making WIP's available to download!!! Am so shocked and grateful for this. I can't wait to try it and hope I get lucky with it working with ReShade without any bugs. I just have to say It's truly amazing what you are able to do and I'm so grateful for your talents and hard work. You're a genius in my book and bring an inexplicable amount of happiness to me being able to get my nostalgia fix with my childhood games. Truly cannot thank you enough.

Reply 3468 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dege, can you take a look at 3D Blitz (not the programming language 🤣)?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15yz3laI22ER … rx2zDQ0lTVzK85e

I couldnt get any log so it is probably not hooked at all. It is supposed to be a Direct3D 7 game. It crash when you execute it. Same behaviour with DXWnd.

The download is the trial version, there are no registry entries and blitz.cfg is encripted so i'm not sure if it has any kind of renderer line or something.

Reply 3469 of 3949, by Waltc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Now that it matters since those who rant rarely see reason and this is the Internet but:

don't get me started on the all the *crap* being circulated about the "Spectre" and "Meltdown" vulnerabilities that no software has yet been able to exploit

https://www.zdnet.com/article/meltdown-spectr … d-by-attackers/

Yes, I imagine that is true as thoroughly announced and publicized as it has been..;) However, unless the specifics of the vulnerabilities are released in such a way as to enable a hack to actually write software exploiting it, if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see such malware materialize. Simply calling it "Spectre" and saying "It's a vulnerability" tells no one anything about how to go about creating such malware, does it? Still, unless you can point me to a piece of malware that actually exploits Spectre (I would say "Meltdown," too, but my CPU doesn't have that vulnerability at all), I would only advise: don't believe everything you read on the Internet...;) Possibly you are yet young enough not to thoroughly understand the concept of web sites publishing unsupportable, speculative, and sensational articles for "page hits", but there it is...;) Happens every single day. Caveat Emptor. BTW, I didn't say the "vulnerabilities" might not be real--as they might well be. What I said was that the way that they were *handled* publicly, in the absence of even one single piece of malware exploiting such vulnerabilities, was horrific. No rant--just fact.

Speaking of "sensational," why would you call a theoretical, proof-of-concept vulnerability "Meltdown," when (a) no such malware exploiting that vulnerability exists, and (b) if it did exist it could "melt down" absolutely nothing? That's what I mean about sensational--when I found out that Google was directly involved in the public release of these proof-of-concept theoretical vulnerabilities, suddenly these wildly exaggerated nicknames were understandable. The *real* name for the vulnerabilities is a quite mundane and sedate series of identifying letters and numbers--the names "Meltdown" and "Spectre" were adopted and published to create panic--and that's about all that's resulted so far--aside from a few bricked Intel boxes, that is...;) Usually, stuff like "Meltdown" and Spectre" are nicknames reserved for worms that have been seen in the wild and encountered by a good number of people--"proof-of-concept" stuff--compared with real malware--is in a much-less "alarmist" class altogether--*because* there is no actual malware existing to exploit the so-called "proof."

Reply 3470 of 3949, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it's obviously not an issue and should be ignored like all malware with sensational names. Ignore it all it's just fake news.

Now back to dgvoodoo discussion.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3471 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:
Dege, can you take a look at 3D Blitz (not the programming language lol)? […]
Show full quote

Dege, can you take a look at 3D Blitz (not the programming language 🤣)?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15yz3laI22ER … rx2zDQ0lTVzK85e

I couldnt get any log so it is probably not hooked at all. It is supposed to be a Direct3D 7 game. It crash when you execute it. Same behaviour with DXWnd.

The download is the trial version, there are no registry entries and blitz.cfg is encripted so i'm not sure if it has any kind of renderer line or something.

There is a division by zero in the executable. If I comment that out then it works... 😁:D
I mean, natively, with some flashing polygons.
This game is also written to choose the 1. enumerated d3d device which must be a hardware one. So, I removed 'Emulated MMX' from D3D7 in dgVoodoo to keep compatibility with old DX. It works that way with dgVoodoo too.

Reply 3475 of 3949, by Johnylyr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
I found a glitch and fixed that. Other than that this game works perfectly for me at 60 fps, it's a DX5 game not demanding too m […]
Show full quote
tgomola wrote:
I've tested dgVoodoo with International Rally Championship, here are the results: - game works without any major glitches, but t […]
Show full quote

I've tested dgVoodoo with International Rally Championship, here are the results:
- game works without any major glitches, but the frame rate is quite low (~25 fps)
- when I press Esc, the game stops but the pause menu doesn't show up

The game runs in Windows 95 compatibility mode (otherwise it crashes when it starts).

I found a glitch and fixed that. Other than that this game works perfectly for me at 60 fps, it's a DX5 game not demanding too much resources.

Lego Island doesn't render any 3d elements and hotspot positions appear to be slightly higher than they're supposed to. Results using d3drm.dll from DirectX 6 (same result with the one from XP), game crashes using the d3drm.dll the game comes with (directx 5).

Is there a demo for this game? I couldn't find so far but I won't give up. 😀

Don't know how to do a crash dump

I don't know an easier way than installing Visual Studio Express and attaching to the game when it crashes. Then you could see the crashing point.

How did you fix the ingame pause menu?

Reply 3476 of 3949, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last year I wanted to play Sentinel Returns in stereoscopy, so I used dgVoodoo to wrap the Glide calls of that game to DirectX 11, and ReShade with the SuperDepth3D.fx shader to read the depth buffer and create two stereoscopic views. However, I noticed that doing so provided no 3D effect at all, everything was flat. Looking at the depth map confirmed that the depth buffer wasn't being read: it was all black, as opposed to a grayscale scene where the objects are lighter the farther away they are from the POV.
Remembering that I could play Sentinel Returns in stereoscopy with Windows XP and dgVoodoo v1.40+, I downloaded that version and attempted another strategy: dgVoodoo v1.40+ would translate Glide calls to DirectX 7, while dgVoodoo 2 would translate DirectX 7 calls to DirectX 11. However, that didn't work either, and the scene remained flat.

What I want to know is: will dgVoodoo ever allow other programs like ReShade to access the depth buffer, so that Glide games can be played in stereoscopy on modern systems too?

Reply 3478 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess ReShade only hooks the final stage of the rendering, when presenting the output to the rendering window, and process that image.
(But if depth buffer reading works without MSAA then I'm wrong.)

In dgVoodoo however there is no z-buffer attached at that point. The final image can be scaled, postprocessed by dgVoodoo, so even its size may differ from the z-buffer used by the game.
I have some ideas what to do, though.

Reply 3479 of 3949, by Truth Unknown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ReShade on it's own can't use the depth-buffer if Anti-Aliasing is enabled at all, something to do with how Anti-Aliasing works and where ReShade is trying to inject into or something. I can't remember where I came across this information, it was a long time ago when SweetFX and ReShade were new and people complained about it. Anyway, ReShade does work if scaling (forgot that can stop ReShade from working with depth) isn't changed and anti-aliasing disabled (in-game, driver or DgVoodoo), and it works well. Used it with SW Rogue Squadron, Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (on a private server, also weird Depth Buffer behavior that I should test with ReShade's D3D8 to D3D9 support) and House of the Dead PC, enabling Ambient Occlusion, SMAA, Bloom, Depth of Field and Reflective Bump-mapping. Would be nice if you can figure something for the scaling thing, but playing in native windowed mode or full-screen is fine for me.