VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2920 of 3949, by Henrar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

If you have Visual Studio installed, you can download symbol files for DXGI.dll from MS symbol servers, to see the callstack, and, in what function it crashes.
Also, don't you have DX debug layer accidentally enabled? That can cause occassional crashes, if 'break on errors' is enabled. 😊

Call stack's below.

I don't have DX debug layer turned on and I also tried changing "Backbuffer in System Memory" option in-game, but it doesn't help.

Attachments

• Filename
    callstack.PNG
    File size
    11.39 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2921 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, the DXGI wathdog thread itself crashes...
dgVoodoo has nothing to do with that (thread) but if I can recall right, I got this crash occassionally on Win7.
I should try the Gog version of this game on Win10.

What happens if the game is forced into windowed mode?

Reply 2923 of 3949, by daf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all thanks to Dege for making dgVoodoo, it helped get an old game working and it's a valuable resource in the fight to keep old games playable.

That said I found the website and documentation horrible to read. I though to myself it shouldn't be hard to improve so I poked around, and ended up going a bit too far. The end result was this. It's based on a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 template and and all the fanciness weighs in at 500kb page load with a load of dependencies. Personally I think it's an improvement but not without it's downsides, it's not very polished but if anyone wants to use i'll leave it up (unless I'm asked to take it down has it's kinda violating Dege's license) and the files can be downloaded from here.

All credit should go to Dege for dgVoodoo and Xiaoying Riley for the template.

Last edited by daf on 2018-07-28, 10:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2924 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daf wrote:

First of all thanks to Dege for making dgVoodoo, it helped get an old game working and it's a valuable resource in the fight to keep old games playable.

That said I found the website and documentation horrible to read. I though to myself it shouldn't be hard to improve so I poked around, and ended up going a bit too far. The end result was this. It's based on a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 template and and all the fanciness weighs in at 500kb page load with a load of dependencies. Personally I think it's an improvement but not without it's downsides, it's not very polished but if anyone wants to use i'll leave it up (unless I'm asked to take it down has it's kinda violating Dege's license) and the files can be downloaded from here.

Well, my web-skills are very limited, to speak so. 😁 😁
The background picture is indeed not-so-good. 😀

Your improved version is indeed much better, I think it's useful for others to read that online. 😎

Reply 2925 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:
Well, my web-skills are very limited, to speak so. :D :D The background picture is indeed not-so-good. :) […]
Show full quote
daf wrote:

Your improved version is indeed much better, I think it's useful for others to read that online. 😎

Sounds great!

Dege, if you think it's possible for you (or daf) to maintain it, you should copy it to your webserver and replace what you have. 😀

Hell, I'd just let him overhaul the whole website. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2926 of 3949, by Henrar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
So, the DXGI wathdog thread itself crashes... dgVoodoo has nothing to do with that (thread) but if I can recall right, I got thi […]
Show full quote

So, the DXGI wathdog thread itself crashes...
dgVoodoo has nothing to do with that (thread) but if I can recall right, I got this crash occassionally on Win7.
I should try the Gog version of this game on Win10.

What happens if the game is forced into windowed mode?

I can't seem to force it to windowed mode.

Reply 2929 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wargames is another game that benefits a lot from dgVoodoo2's forced resolution. It's 640x480 only, but it seems to look pretty nice at 1920x1440:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwHm5YBPjqw
Though it creates some glitches in the top and left border. You can use ReShade to cover that up of course. MSAA also creates some annoying glitches in this game, but ReShade can do SMAA which looks good enough at high resolutions.

Reply 2930 of 3949, by daf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Sounds great! […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
Well, my web-skills are very limited, to speak so. :D :D The background picture is indeed not-so-good. :) […]
Show full quote
daf wrote:

Sounds great!

Dege, if you think it's possible for you (or daf) to maintain it, you should copy it to your webserver and replace what you have. 😀

Hell, I'd just let him overhaul the whole website. 😁

Maintenance should be fairly straight forward, the html is pretty clean having all the "magic" hidden away in the style sheets.

As for doing the entire site the template does provide an index and some navigation, it would look something like this demo (only dgvoodoo page works). I could try to "convert" his entire website over if Dege's interested, but my ability to customize the look of the template will be limited as i'm not a professional web dev.

Reply 2931 of 3949, by wrace

User metadata

daf wrote:

I agree with above. Thanks to Dege for this great utility.

Though I use dgVoodoo for some old games about one year, I saw only now the button "Game patches" and one more winplay.dll-patch for the game I know very well - Soul Reaver. I understand that it was made for the original "ESCAPE Windows 95 Player DLL", though after placing by Square Enix this game on Steam in 2012, in the official content of the game this (original winplay.dll) was replaced by fan-maded version of it (simple bink-play like in SR2; especially because we found HD-intro for SR1 in extras for SR2 on PS2). The pre-last version of this file can be found here, in the folder SR1. It has no conflicts with dgVoodoo (but the game has its own bugs which is not fixed yet and dgVoodoo can't solve them).

BTW: I tried to replace the original binkplay-engine of SR2 (yes, Soul Reaver 2) by the same way as for SR1 to fix the problems with bink-intro on the newest OS (which can be solved sometimes just by using dgVoodoo, but sometimes people have distorted colors), but there is conflict with dgVoodoo (i.e. without it the problem with bink-intro is solved, with it - it appears strange bug with the forced Windowed-mode though it is used fullscreen-mode). The appropriate patch (SR2_BinkHookBetaTest.zip) lies in the folder SR2 (if you want to look at this bug).

P.S.: I forgot to say: dgVoodoo has also one nice feature for Steam - it gives support of Steam-overlay for old games (this feature does not work without dgVoodoo for some of them which use old DDraw). I even wrote to Steam-support and described this situation (+ suggested to contact with author of dgVoodoo to include the appropriate possibility to the official Steam functional, though it seems that they did not do this; also I suggested them to include some interesting features from another utility - AHK-Injector - which allows easily inject additional code into the game).

P.P.S.: and such answer to the Dege - is it possible (I mean is it too hard) to add such (listed below) additional API-functions (exported ones) for DDraw.dll or D3DImm.dll? (I think that this will be more correct way of their realization without additional hooks to exe-files of the old games.)
1) box like one which is displayed when one takes achievement in Steam (like in the video below) - i.e. box with the grey background + image (may be from HD, may be as resource of dll) + text, which displays for some small time at one of four possible corners of display (sooner it is interesting only two of them - top or bottom right corners);
2) list like this (without times at the right), but displayed inside the game (again using API);
3) API (function) for displaying (on some time) text in subtitles area.
Links for video: one and two (yes, Soul Reaver / Steam, though for displaying achievements is used another game profile (one from Steam-API-SDK) because publisher of this game can't spend several minutes to adding images and text for achievements).

Thanks.

Reply 2934 of 3949, by Glurak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi today i wanted to try Planescape Torment with DG Voodoo because its the Best thing to work with when i want to capture a DDRAW game. Now the GoG.com Build will work but with EXTREMLY low FPS. arround 10-13

I think at has something to do with the DDRAW fix mod this game has in the GoG Files. Is it able to fix maybe i would love it when you could.

Reply 2936 of 3949, by personofinterest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just joined to say what a great job has been done with dgVoodoo 2. I went back to play the original Splinter Cell last week with dgVoodoo and it certainly did wonders. Can anyone tell me though how to get Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow working with dgVoodoo 2 and widescreen? I've been following all the steps from different guides on the internet and it is not going well. I can't get the resolution to get up to 2560x1440. And then when I try to use dgVoodoo 2 with Pandora Tomorrow, the lights and shadows don't seem to work. They did the first time I tried it, but haven't since. When getting dgVoodoo 2 and the widescreen fix to work with the original, it took less than 5 minutes to get it going properly. With Pandora Tomorrow, I can't seem to get it going right for the life of me.

Reply 2937 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
personofinterest wrote:

I just joined to say what a great job has been done with dgVoodoo 2. I went back to play the original Splinter Cell last week with dgVoodoo and it certainly did wonders. Can anyone tell me though how to get Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow working with dgVoodoo 2 and widescreen? I've been following all the steps from different guides on the internet and it is not going well. I can't get the resolution to get up to 2560x1440. And then when I try to use dgVoodoo 2 with Pandora Tomorrow, the lights and shadows don't seem to work. They did the first time I tried it, but haven't since. When getting dgVoodoo 2 and the widescreen fix to work with the original, it took less than 5 minutes to get it going properly. With Pandora Tomorrow, I can't seem to get it going right for the life of me.

Did you copy D3D8.dll to both SC2\ and SC2\offline\system folders?
In SC2 there is the launcher app for choosing between online/offline and it's D3D8, but the real game executable for offline mode is in SC2\offline\system, D3D8.dll is needed there too.

Reply 2938 of 3949, by personofinterest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
personofinterest wrote:

Did you copy D3D8.dll to both SC2\ and SC2\offline\system folders?
In SC2 there is the launcher app for choosing between online/offline and it's D3D8, but the real game executable for offline mode is in SC2\offline\system, D3D8.dll is needed there too.

Cool. Did that and now the shadows and lighting work fine. Now how would I go about getting the resolution up to 2560x1440? Do I go through dgVoodoo 2 for that or is the widescreen fix the better way to go? I tried using the widescreen fix by following the steps, but the game just continues to boot into 1024x768.