VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3080 of 3949, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't use Dgvoodoo2 with Serious Sam 1, there is only a black screen (this with direct3d mode, because opengl is not supported by Dgvoodoo2...)

Gta1 has serious graphics problems when v-sync is not forced to on

I think that bilinear filtering is forced with some games when i use dgvoodoo2... (this with crt scanlines emulation... and these scanlines are not emulated correctly, expecially with very low display resolutions)

Last edited by FulValBot on 2017-06-10, 11:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3081 of 3949, by Diduz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I can't download v.2.54 from the website. Browsers tell me the file is "dangerous" 😵
Seems a false positive to me. Should I deactivate my firewall?
BTW, this thing is great, I'm managing to play Donald Duck Goin' Quackers vith v. 2.53 almost without issues (except for fmvs, which don't run at all), so thanks a lot. 😀

Reply 3082 of 3949, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Diduz wrote:

Hi, I can't download v.2.54 from the website. Browsers tell me the file is "dangerous" 😵
BTW, this thing is great, I'm managing to play Donald Duck Goin' Quackers vith v. 2.53 almost without issues (except for fmvs, which don't run at all), so thanks a lot. 😀

Yeah, Firefox and Chrome also pick it up for me as well. I went ahead and permitted the download and scanned with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and both report the file as clean with the latest virus definitions.

Reply 3083 of 3949, by Diduz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Diduz wrote:

Yeah, Firefox and Chrome also pick it up for me as well. I went ahead and permitted the download and scanned with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and both report the file as clean with the latest virus definitions.

Ok, thanks. 😀

Reply 3084 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FulValBot wrote:

I can't use Dgvoodoo2 with Serious Sam 1, there is only a black screen (this with direct3d mode, because opengl is not supported by Dgvoodoo2...)

I think that bilinear filtering is forced with some games when i use dgvoodoo2... (this with crt scanlines emulation... and these scanlines are not emulated correctly, expecially with very low display resolutions)

Could you post some screenshots about those glitches plz?

Reply 3087 of 3949, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
FulValBot wrote:

Could you post some screenshots about those glitches plz?

It's a screen flickering, but with v-sync enabled it works fine; with Paint i can't make screenshot for this game...

With Quake II it works very bad... i can't use mouse because it force all axis... (directdraw mode)

It doesn't work with Hexen II (software rendering)

Last edited by FulValBot on 2017-06-17, 22:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3088 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Noticed an odd issue on my integrated-only (Intel HD Graphics 620) HiDPI QHD laptop with both the latest stable and WIP versions. When using a game's native, unstretched resolution, framerate is normal, and the image is stable, but when forcing stretching and/or resolution, the visuals begin to flicker, like it's not being pushed to the monitor at the correct refresh rate. By default, the display supports 60Hz progressive or 48Hz interlaced at its maximum resolution; yet dgVoodoo 2 only reports the interlaced refresh rate correctly when enumerating refresh rates. Also, enabling progressive scanline rendering doesn't fix the issue.

I tested this on DX1-7 games games AI Wars: The Awakening and Hexplore using the dgVoodoo2 Virtural 3D graphics card.

Reply 3092 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Razdor wrote:

I'm glad that the lights and shadows in Splinter Cell finally works fine, but unfortunately that the Russian version of the game does not work with dgvoodoo2 🙁 (crash on launch)

Is there maybe a demo version for the Russian version that I could try?

NightSprinter wrote:

I am curious as to whether or not the Radeon 8500 mode supports TruForm. I know some games like Neverwinter Nights supported it for rounder models and such.

Unfortunately not. I'd like to implement it one day but currently it's not available.

enzeinzen wrote:

Hello Dege, i am a great fan of your tools, they truly are awesome stuff.
I want to request a feature, could you implement a frame limiter in dgvoodoo? Or at least make forced 60fps with unforced resolution possible.

Thank you.

Hi, thanks!! 😀
Ah, the FPS limiter... I should do something to fix it, it's already a requested feature.
dgVoodoo has an FPS limiter, it just doesn't work for DX rendering. 😀
You can force the refresh rate independently on resolution: just type "unforced, 60" into the resolution selector combobox, and save the config.
If your monitor supports 60Hz then the rendering should run at 60Hz. If not, then it'll be rounded to the nearest supported value.
(This is the way for FPS limiting through dgVoodoo which works for Glide but mysteriously not for DX. For DX it's just rounded to a display-supported value.)

Reply 3093 of 3949, by AlienX999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also forgot to say that there is a bug in DgVoodoo2 that makes the cutscenes not show up (except their sound) for games like Codename Tenka (Distinctive Developments logo), Galapagos Mendel's Escape, Microsoft's Midtown Madness 2 (Intro logos) and some other games like Andretti Racing. Is there Any way to fix that because I have tried all kinds of codec packs such As K-Lite and it doesn't seem to budge it

Reply 3094 of 3949, by AlienX999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlienX999 wrote:

I also forgot to say that there is a bug in DgVoodoo2 that makes the cutscenes not show up (except their sound) for games like Codename Tenka (Distinctive Developments logo), Galapagos Mendel's Escape, Microsoft's Midtown Madness 2 (Intro logos) and some other games like Andretti Racing. Is there Any way to fix that because I have tried all kinds of codec packs such As K-Lite and it doesn't seem to budge it

It also Might have something to do with It Being fullscreen instead of windowed cause If I put it on Windowed mode It works

Reply 3095 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

V2000 benefits a bit from dgVoodoo2's resolution forcing. It has only 3 resolution choices (640x480,800x600,1024x768) and higher resolutions makes the UI smaller so even if you could hack in higher resolution support it wouldn't be usable. But here's dgVoodoo2 running it at 3200x2400 (800x600 selected ingame):

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
715.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Evil Core: The Fallen Cities doesn't benefit as much from resolution forcing since natively it supports up to 1600x1200 (though it's nice to go beyond), but it will just crash without dgVoodoo2. Even if you got it running with dgVoodoo2 you want dgVoodoo2 since you want ReShade running to brighten it up, this image is brightened up a LOT by ReShade. The game is really dark:

FULLSCREEN_2017_07_03_16_56_06_860.jpg
Filename
FULLSCREEN_2017_07_03_16_56_06_860.jpg
File size
407.54 KiB
Views
File license

Live Wire! I thought I mentioned this before but apparently not, it's a 640x480 only game and due to lots of sharp edges it looks really bad without dgVoodoo2. Here's how nice it looks with it though:

LIVEWIRE_2017_07_03_17_40_12_597.jpg
Filename
LIVEWIRE_2017_07_03_17_40_12_597.jpg
File size
813.68 KiB
Views
File license

Hydro Thunder has no resolution selection and is limited to 640x480, it works with resolution forcing. Sadly it seems to have z-fighting issues on the ships (look at the rear of the ship) even at native resolution. Works in WINE ddraw, so maybe same problem as Star Wars Episode 1 Racer?

hydro_2017_07_04_17_41_35_170.jpg
Filename
hydro_2017_07_04_17_41_35_170.jpg
File size
799.41 KiB
Views
File license

Also tried Crime Killer (works with dgVoodoo2, resolution forcing no benefit) and Tower of the Ancients (works with dgVoodoo2, but has perfect native high resolution support).

Reply 3097 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FulValBot wrote:

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee and Oddworld Abe's Exoddus are lagging seriously with dgvoodoo2...

Force vsync off in your driver settings or run in dgVoodoo2 forced windowed mode and it should be fine. No idea why forced window mode works since that should also be vsynced to Windows' desktop compositor.

Anyway, another game: Conflict Zone. Seems to work perfectly in dgVoodoo2. This is another game were UI scales poorly to higher resolutions, so dgVoodoo2's resolution forcing would be very useful. Sadly when resolution forced the mouse cursor will go outside the right and bottom edges of the screen so it's not really playable. Looks nice though:

Conflict zone_2017_07_05_00_24_45_125.jpg
Filename
Conflict zone_2017_07_05_00_24_45_125.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license

Empire of the Ants seems to work perfectly in dgVooodoo2. It's one of those games that have severe performance issues when vsynced. It natively supports up to 1600x1200, but UI size doesn't scale properly. dgVoodoo2 resolution forcing works pretty well, though there is some minor distortion around the mouse cursor when moving it. Also there's not a lot of point in resolution forcing since the game uses limited 3D and looks terrible anyway:

ant.jpg
Filename
ant.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Also tried CSI: Hard Evidence. Apparently a D3D8 game. It works great in dgVoodoo2, but only in unspecified aspect ratio mode (emulated modes and mouse cursor is stuck in top left corner) and resolution forcing just doesn't work.

Reply 3098 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlienX999 wrote:
AlienX999 wrote:

It also Might have something to do with It Being fullscreen instead of windowed cause If I put it on Windowed mode It works

I think it is the well known issue when a video player renders the video through GDI instead of DDraw (DirectShow). D3D11 screen cannot be drawn by GDI in full screen mode, that's why videos shows up only in windowed mode.
It's an issue waiting for being handled somehow.

@ZellSF: Cool screenshots! 😎

ZellSF wrote:

Hydro Thunder has no resolution selection and is limited to 640x480, it works with resolution forcing. Sadly it seems to have z-fighting issues on the ships (look at the rear of the ship) even at native resolution. Works in WINE ddraw, so maybe same problem as Star Wars Episode 1 Racer?

Possible. It seems to rely on the same engine.

ZellSF wrote:

Force vsync off in your driver settings or run in dgVoodoo2 forced windowed mode and it should be fine. No idea why forced window mode works since that should also be vsynced to Windows' desktop compositor.

Yes, the desktop rendering itself is vsynced but the compositor can skip frames coming from DX applications, so they virtually can run at higher (uncapped) framerates.

ZellSF wrote:

Sadly when resolution forced the mouse cursor will go outside the right and bottom edges of the screen so it's not really playable.

The game itself may handle mouse clip, or the Windows compatibility layer hacks it in the background, overriding dgVoodoo.
I encountered a game (can't remember which one) where the compat layer hacked the mouse visibility counter, couldn't be decreased below 0. That's why I was forced to choose a solution for emulating the cursor ending in potential real-cursor flashes.

ZellSF wrote:

Also tried CSI: Hard Evidence. Apparently a D3D8 game. It works great in dgVoodoo2, but only in unspecified aspect ratio mode (emulated modes and mouse cursor is stuck in top left corner) and resolution forcing just doesn't work.

🙁 Unspecified scaling mode is the only that keeps the size of the game window. All other change it but some game relies on the expected window size, to e.g. calc a viewport for the rendering (Radeon's Ark) or handle mouse, and so on, but changed size break it all.

Reply 3099 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a game that might be interesting to you. Paradise Cracked. Here's what dgVoodoo2 thinks the first area in the game should look like:

game 2017-07-06 00-42-54-45.jpg
Filename
game 2017-07-06 00-42-54-45.jpg
File size
282.37 KiB
Views
File license

Here's how things should look:

game 2017-07-06 00-43-27-43.jpg
Filename
game 2017-07-06 00-43-27-43.jpg
File size
102.49 KiB
Views
File license

Demo here (in Russian): http://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=1730

Another interesting one, RIM: Battle Planets. Here's dgVoodoo2 and something seems to be missing...

main 2017-07-06 03-19-16-92.jpg
Filename
main 2017-07-06 03-19-16-92.jpg
File size
64.96 KiB
Views
File license

Let's remove dgVoodoo2 and see what we missed:

main_2017_07_06_03_17_20_915.jpg
Filename
main_2017_07_06_03_17_20_915.jpg
File size
70.39 KiB
Views
File license

Demo here (in German): https://www.fileplanet.com/59680/download/Rim … le-Planets-Demo

S.W.I.N.E looks nice if you're on 1.9 and skip FMVs. FMVs crash and so does gameplay in the latest unofficial patch. Too bad since the game does benefit from dgVoodoo2's resolution forcing (it's another game with bad UI scaling):

swine_2017_07_06_02_34_19_167.jpg
Filename
swine_2017_07_06_02_34_19_167.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license

Game was released for free and is available here: http://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=10307. Fan patch available here: http://digi.atw.hu/2.3.php.

Gladiators: The Galactic Circus Games works natively, but will crash with dgVoodoo2 saying "Exception EOverflow dans le module The Gladiators Demo.exe à 00002DA6. Débordement en virgule flottante." meaning "Floating point overflow". The game works natively as long as you have the Railroad Tycoon 3 blurry texture fix (D3D8 intercept DLL that fixes VRAM detection): http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm and d3drm.dll in the game's directory (it will not tell you if this is missing). Has demo if you want to look: https://archive.org/details/TheGladiatorsGala … CircusGamesDemo

Shattered Union works flawlessly, but performance is a bit problematic. No point in resolution forcing since this game's high resolution support is excellent. Also needs the above Railroad Tycoon 3 fix for VRAM detection if you want to run it without dgVoodoo2. I didn't even know that new games screwed up VRAM detection and then I run into two in the same day.