VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2762 of 3949, by gameragodzilla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick question: is there any other solution for buffer shadows for Splinter Cell 1 or is this the only one? The fix works, but I still am getting the occasional stuttering I mentioned a few weeks back where starting a level, the first time I put on night vision and the first time I put on thermal causes the game to stutter briefly before going back to smooth.

Reply 2763 of 3949, by VicRattlehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Blade of Darkness, lava appears rainbow colored with the D3D renderers. I uploaded a save file where this can be observed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2nfhucx55xiwda1/Save.zip

Untitled4.jpg

Also, I get massive framerate drops with the D3D renderers when I look at light sources, especially the sun. I think it's maybe because of the light flares. Light flares and the consequent framerate drops seem to be omitted with two of the other D3D renderers, "D3D i740 Windows98" and "Voodoo 1-2 D3D v04". I don't know if dgVoodoo2 has anything to do with light flares missing in those renderers.

With the glide renderer, the entire right half of menu/loading screens get blacked out.

Reply 2766 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote:
I have on question. I have readen the readme but I don't understand what means ISF (integer scale factor) in resolution options? […]
Show full quote

I have on question.
I have readen the readme but I don't understand what means ISF (integer scale factor) in resolution options? What are the differences betwaeen max FHD and max FHD ISF?
Maybe is that my english is limited.
Thanks.

Integer scale factor means it will only scale in even multiples. For example, make a 1x1 pixel into 2x2 pixels, 3x3 pixels, 4x4 pixels etc. If you don't scale evenly like that, you get scaling artifacts.

Max FHD just limits the resolution to FullHD (1080p). You can mouse over buttons in the configuration program and wait for tooltips.

Reply 2767 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Guys,

thanks for the new reports.
Unfortunately I cannot fix bugs and share new WIP versions for now because the current state of dgVoodoo doesn't make it possible. 😁
I'm doing base developments and refactoring on dgVoodoo nowadays, when I have time.

The point is, it's not abandoned. 😀

daniel_u wrote:

I tried to put the desired refresh rate in(to) the resolution combox but it doesnt get set. Do you mean selecting the resolution with desired resfred rate?

Yes. If I type e.g. "1280x1024, 12" into the Glide resolution combobox, then Glide rendering will be going at 12 FPS, in 1280x1024.
But this type of forcing of refresh rate won't work for DX rendering, I don't know why. Refresh rate always seems to be rounded to the nearest one that the display supports (60 Hz, 72Hz, ...).

gameragodzilla wrote:

the first time I put on night vision and the first time I put on thermal causes the game to stutter briefly before going back to smooth.

It's a real mystery for me. Anyone else maybe, experiencing this?

willow wrote:
I have on question. I have readen the readme but I don't understand what means ISF (integer scale factor) in resolution options? […]
Show full quote

I have on question.
I have readen the readme but I don't understand what means ISF (integer scale factor) in resolution options? What are the differences betwaeen max FHD and max FHD ISF?
Maybe is that my english is limited.
Thanks.

Yes, as ZellSF said, overridden resolution will be an integer multiple of the application resolution if ISF mode is selected.
Say, if your display (desktop) resolution is 1920x1080 natively (FHD), and your game uses resolution 640x480, then dgVoodoo does the following calculations for max available forced resolution:
1920/640 = 3
1080/480 = 2.25
So, if aspect ratio is wanted to be kept, then the lower value, 2.25 in this case, can only be used for scaling for both X and Y direction,
640*2.25 = 1440
480*2.25 = 1080
so the application reso will be scaled up to 1440x1080.
If we are in an ISF mode then only the integer part of 2.25 is used instead, so
640x2 = 1280
480x2 = 960
the application will be scaled only to 1280x960 instead.

Reply 2768 of 3949, by gameragodzilla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
gameragodzilla wrote:

the first time I put on night vision and the first time I put on thermal causes the game to stutter briefly before going back to smooth.

I've honestly have no idea either and it sucks because otherwise it works really well. The cutscenes are at native resolution when originally it was only 640x480 (thanks to being able to force resolution) and the buffer lighting is still pretty beautiful even to this day.

I had thought it was because resolution was forced, but the brief stutter when activating thermal vision alongside playing the game is still there, just with the game stuck at low resolution.

I have no idea. Is it because I'm using the GOG version?

EDIT: I also modified the ini files to be widescreen prior to applying this fix. Could that be a factor? I'm just honestly at a loss for words at why this stutters like this. If I can get it to not be there, I might even start using this fix for Pandora Tomorrow rather than the Komat fix considering it doesn't seem to have the lighting glitch at the beginning level.

Reply 2770 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gameragodzilla wrote:
I've honestly have no idea either and it sucks because otherwise it works really well. The cutscenes are at native resolution wh […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
gameragodzilla wrote:

I've honestly have no idea either and it sucks because otherwise it works really well. The cutscenes are at native resolution when originally it was only 640x480 (thanks to being able to force resolution) and the buffer lighting is still pretty beautiful even to this day.

I had thought it was because resolution was forced, but the brief stutter when activating thermal vision alongside playing the game is still there, just with the game stuck at low resolution.

I have no idea. Is it because I'm using the GOG version?

EDIT: I also modified the ini files to be widescreen prior to applying this fix. Could that be a factor? I'm just honestly at a loss for words at why this stutters like this. If I can get it to not be there, I might even start using this fix for Pandora Tomorrow rather than the Komat fix considering it doesn't seem to have the lighting glitch at the beginning level.

Hmm... I don't think it has anything to do with GOG version (but who knows...), altough I cannot speak from experience as I have the original game. Also, I applied the widescreen fix too and works without performance problems.

lowenz wrote:

Stutter=D3D11 compiling complex shaders?

They are compiled once, when needed and then cached for further usage.
For the first time they get compiled, a little pause in the gameplay can really occur, but no any time again from that point. Stuttering indicates continuous performance dropping, for some reason.

Reply 2772 of 3949, by SeraphTC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all - I've been reading quite a lot of this forum today as I'm currently working on getting Splinter Cell working nicely.

I have to admit to getting a little lost regarding what the current recommended settings are for this game, and what the known issues are? Could someone please let me know a quick summary?

Should I be forcing MSAA and Resolution through dgVoodoo, just MSAA, or just Resolution? (I want to avoid the water issues).

I currently have a multi-monitor system - 3x 1920x1080 in eyefinity (5760x1080) + 1x at 1920x1200. The game is set to run in fullscreen at 1920x1080 (with TAG's widescreen fix), and it does so, duplicated on each of the 3x monitors (which is fine - I can always switch them off). Whenever a cutscene plays the game drops to windowed mode and I have to use alt+enter to get it back fullscreen, which sometimes doesn't work cleanly and I have to restart. Is there anyway around this?

Many Thanks - and dege, this tool is *fantastic*! Thanks so much for working on this!

Reply 2773 of 3949, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tested Magical Chase on windows 10 with 2.53:
Quick Video
Fullscreen modes crash it. with and without any scaling applied. windowed mode works though.
To those wanting to reproduce it themselves:
1. Windows 95 Compatibility Mode on MCHASE.EXE on the HDD(Once Installed) and AUTORUN.EXE on the cd (image or disc, don't matter).
2. Install Locale Emulator and run the autorun.exe off the CD in japanese locale with LE in order to install and play (Install Second option in autorun, play first option).
3. DGVoodoo ddraw/d3d8/D3DImm dll's into magical chase directory (haven't tried which one it uses due to dates of 97/98 on the disc files) and config it with the DGVoodoo config.
4. Cross fingers and hope to run under LE.

Reply 2774 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SeraphTC wrote:
Hi all - I've been reading quite a lot of this forum today as I'm currently working on getting Splinter Cell working nicely. […]
Show full quote

Hi all - I've been reading quite a lot of this forum today as I'm currently working on getting Splinter Cell working nicely.

I have to admit to getting a little lost regarding what the current recommended settings are for this game, and what the known issues are? Could someone please let me know a quick summary?

Should I be forcing MSAA and Resolution through dgVoodoo, just MSAA, or just Resolution? (I want to avoid the water issues).

I currently have a multi-monitor system - 3x 1920x1080 in eyefinity (5760x1080) + 1x at 1920x1200. The game is set to run in fullscreen at 1920x1080 (with TAG's widescreen fix), and it does so, duplicated on each of the 3x monitors (which is fine - I can always switch them off). Whenever a cutscene plays the game drops to windowed mode and I have to use alt+enter to get it back fullscreen, which sometimes doesn't work cleanly and I have to restart. Is there anyway around this?

Many Thanks - and dege, this tool is *fantastic*! Thanks so much for working on this!

GeForce 4 preset + DX10.1 + MSAA.

Reply 2775 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
SeraphTC wrote:
Hi all - I've been reading quite a lot of this forum today as I'm currently working on getting Splinter Cell working nicely. […]
Show full quote

For SC1 no resolution forcing or MSAA, if you want to avoid the water issue.

Reply 2776 of 3949, by SeraphTC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
lowenz wrote:
SeraphTC wrote:
Show full quote

For SC1 no resolution forcing or MSAA, if you want to avoid the water issue.

Thanks both - what about the issue where it drops into windowed mode during/after video? Any workaround for that?

Reply 2777 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As pictures seem to speak more here (heh) here's 3 things that bug me right now:

Shadows Of The Empire - missing table fog. The GOG version looks like it has it, which makes me think they're using DXWnd or something else.

Original with fog (running on old WinXP machine with Nvidia 7800GS+):
U7qGgRd.jpg

dgVoodoo version (with missing fog):
8pY72au.jpg

Colin McRae Rally - also missing fog (no idea if it uses similar way to display fog to Shadows Of The Empire or not):

Original with fog (hacked Win7/high colour menus exe version running on Win10 with Nvidia GTX 980):
bAMjLus.jpg

dgVoodoo version (with missing fog; also I'm not sure if the thick dark colour-keying around transparent objects is right or not, but it looks a lot better than the original version above!):
4CJbYXD.jpg

Baku Baku Animal - incorrect colours (needs 256 color mode to launch):

Left = original (running on Win98SE VMware machine) / Right = dgVoodoo version:
g9X7dU0.jpg

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2779 of 3949, by SeraphTC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Expack3 wrote:
SeraphTC wrote:

Thanks both - what about the issue where it drops into windowed mode during/after video? Any workaround for that?

I don't know of a fix, but when the issue happens, just use ALT-ENTER to switch back into fullscreen.

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but it takes a while with the monitor flickering a lot to drop to windowed mode, at which point I'm missing the start of the video (more annoying than anything else - although the flickering does hurt my eyes a bit). I guess it's just one of those frustrating/annoying things that I'd prefer not to have to deal with (breaks immersion too).

If Dege manages to provide a fix that would be absolutely amazing.