VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2800 of 3949, by breech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read that it might be possible to use dgvoodoo to wrap my DirectDraw DX5 game, possibly mixing it with ddraw(wrapper) or wined3d then hook shaders to it?
So far I have it working well using all methods, but Reshade (using Medator) refuses to hook to it. I guess i'm quite confused because I dont know at which point it becomes OpenGL, and hookable to the shader, although ive tried all possible combinations. Any ideas?

Reply 2802 of 3949, by janjansen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thanks a million for making this. It has allowed some of us to use Condor Soaring (gliding simulator) with resolutions higher than DX7 supported, multimonitor and even using 3D (http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16821)

With my previous nVidia card, and with intel onboard graphics, all is well. However, I just bought a radeon 470 to enable assymetrical eyefinity on my triple monitor setup, and then dgvoodoo doesnt work. Even with a single monitor, no eyefinity, the textures are all messed up. This is what it should look like (and does on nvidia/intel or radeon without dgvoodo):

REcxjrlh.jpg

This is what I get with the radeon +dgvoodo :

RN1MHnph.jpg

Like flying on mars 😀. Even the 2D splash screen is corrupted, looks like 4 color or something. I have tried all settings I can see or think off, in Condor itself, both in AMD drivers and dgvoodoo, but the problem persists. I would use my nvidia card, but unfortunately, nvidia doesnt support my 1080 + 2560 + 1080 setup for gaming.

Any chance of a solution for this? Condor is old, but its still the best/only gliding simulator and still has quite a following. Quite a few cockpit builders run it, or would like to run if it can do multiple monitors (which it can now, thanks to your app, using nvidia at least)

Reply 2803 of 3949, by breech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

dgVoodoo2+ReShade is a near-perfect match 😀
No need of WineD3D.

Ah thanks for the hint, I got on the right track with this tutorial http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=213503. It still didnt work initially, then I guessed it was because reshade still had the old profile active. I couldnt delete the bad profile from the UI so I duplicated the EXE file - that worked! It also fixed a slow loading issue I was having, which I found had something to do with the original ddraw.dll from wined3d when modifying the filename.

Reply 2804 of 3949, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested out v2.53's DirectX emulation with Diablo 1 v1.09 in Windows 10.

The best I can do is to get the game to sort of work in Windowed mode (animations are spotty). It usually refuses to stay in fullscreen after the intro video(s), with the only successful attempt rendering the whole game in blue.

Reply 2806 of 3949, by SeraphTC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
SC1 always gets dropped to windowed mode, it's a known issue. The game exe should be patched to avoid that (incompatible with DX […]
Show full quote
SeraphTC wrote:

(Incidentally, I tried to set windowed mode using the settings in the ini file instead of forcing, but with dgVoodoo in place the game would not display correctly - most of the window was black whilst the game was horizontally 'squashed' to about a quarter of the width of the window).

SC1 always gets dropped to windowed mode, it's a known issue. The game exe should be patched to avoid that (incompatible with DXGI).

SeraphTC wrote:

Is it possible either with dgVoodoo or with the games ini files to specify the position of the window when the application starts? It would be great to be able to have it start up central to my screen rather than near the left edge and halfway off the bottom!

No, it's currently impossible through dgVoodoo.

---
@VirtuaIceman & Others: thanks for the reports! When I switch to bugfixing mode then I'll check them!

Thanks for the response Dege - when you say 'always gets dropped to windowed mode', it doesn't with TAG's widescreen emulator. That seems to keep everything in fullscreen nicely, but ofc then the videos are at tiny original resolution and we don't have your shadow and lighting fixes. I'm assuming that TAG's approach doesn't use DXGI?

With regards to moving the game window, does anyone know of a tool that might be able to achieve this? It doesn't have to be anything specifically game related, just something that can force a window to a specific set of screen co-ordinates when it opens?

Thanks all!

Reply 2807 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

Can the usage of pure d3d8 fix the issue with color of the light in SC2? If this pure d3d8 way, fixes more things it could worth your effort.

EDIT: I know Komat dll has the same issue, but maybe he is missing something.?!

No, that's a different story... (imprecision of old GPU's coming from fixed-point representation of shader variables should be emulated for that, if possible, it's strongly hw-dependent)

Can you emulate to have all beams color to be white? I can be happy with that.

Reply 2808 of 3949, by VicRattlehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heavy Gear II seems to be missing some effects under dgvoodoo2, particularly distance fog and the terrain lighting up during a lightning strike.

Those effects can be observed in these videos, all taken from the first mission and all from different people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSMBU1-WTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8CBdxGXeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M53BLsZEA2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vkLSfyIgU

This is what the game looks like on my end.
Heavy_Gear_2_exe_2016_11_30_18_28_42_848.jpg

Reply 2809 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for high respond latency,

gameragodzilla wrote:

Is it possible to increase the limit so that at least an entire level's worth of caching is done prior to loading so there isn't the stutter for at least one level?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm talking aobut of my ass.

Only if the level in question was loaded once at least before. For the first time, "stuttering" is unavoidable.
As for the limit, time will tell. I know that SC manufactures tons of DX8 shaders, but I never made any statistics how many DX11 instances is created from them, as an average. I'll log this out in the debug version, and see.

VicRattlehead wrote:

I have a question related to the flickering issue I have in Sacrifice but it's also about dgvoodoo2 in general. If a visual bug is observed in a game using the WARP renderer, does that rule out any possibility of the bug being hardware or driver-specific?

No, WARP is always a software renderer.
But some conclusion can be made:
- WARP can be treated as a reference driver as for the visual appearance (but I contradict myself right off: unfortunately I experienced bugs in WARP too, so...), so if a visual glitch is present with a hw driver but not with WARP then it's probably a bug in the hw driver
- if a glitch is present with both hw and WARP then it's a bug in dgVoodoo by good chance

VicRattlehead wrote:

I've been trying to determine if the aforementioned flickering is specific to my GPU (AMD HD 6670) or driver (Catalyst 15.7) because I find it odd that I can't find any posts on the internet mentioning the bug (well, it is rather subtle after all.) So I tried the WARP renderer, and with that renderer I observed the same flickering issue.

But WARP is slow, so flickering can occur even at low resolutions with that.

janjansen wrote:
First of all, thanks a million for making this. It has allowed some of us to use Condor Soaring (gliding simulator) with resolut […]
Show full quote

First of all, thanks a million for making this. It has allowed some of us to use Condor Soaring (gliding simulator) with resolutions higher than DX7 supported, multimonitor and even using 3D (http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16821)

With my previous nVidia card, and with intel onboard graphics, all is well. However, I just bought a radeon 470 to enable assymetrical eyefinity on my triple monitor setup, and then dgvoodoo doesnt work. Even with a single monitor, no eyefinity, the textures are all messed up. This is what it should look like (and does on nvidia/intel or radeon without dgvoodo):

REcxjrlh.jpg

This is what I get with the radeon +dgvoodo :

RN1MHnph.jpg

Like flying on mars 😀. Even the 2D splash screen is corrupted, looks like 4 color or something. I have tried all settings I can see or think off, in Condor itself, both in AMD drivers and dgvoodoo, but the problem persists. I would use my nvidia card, but unfortunately, nvidia doesnt support my 1080 + 2560 + 1080 setup for gaming.

Any chance of a solution for this? Condor is old, but its still the best/only gliding simulator and still has quite a following. Quite a few cockpit builders run it, or would like to run if it can do multiple monitors (which it can now, thanks to your app, using nvidia at least)

Wow, it looks fantastic, I mean the eyefinity on 3 monitors... 😎
It seems as if red and green were transposed, or green is completely missing. Does this come only with dgVoodoo? Other DX11 games, maybe?

HunterZ wrote:

Tested out v2.53's DirectX emulation with Diablo 1 v1.09 in Windows 10.

The best I can do is to get the game to sort of work in Windowed mode (animations are spotty). It usually refuses to stay in fullscreen after the intro video(s), with the only successful attempt rendering the whole game in blue.

Diablo1 isn't compatible with dgVoodoo because that game places extra windows over its rendering window (if I remember right, some of the menu elements are build of standard Windows controls). There are other games doing this, like O2Jam and one of the Jane's simulator.
This is not compatible with DXGI, so they are always forced back to windowed mode.
(Earlier I thought that fake borderless fullscreen is the solution but I realized that it won't work too: if the game resolution doesn't match the desktop resolution then the extra windows won't cover the game window in the proper way. They should also be scaled up...)

SeraphTC wrote:

Thanks for the response Dege - when you say 'always gets dropped to windowed mode', it doesn't with TAG's widescreen emulator. That seems to keep everything in fullscreen nicely, but ofc then the videos are at tiny original resolution and we don't have your shadow and lighting fixes. I'm assuming that TAG's approach doesn't use DXGI?

With regards to moving the game window, does anyone know of a tool that might be able to achieve this? It doesn't have to be anything specifically game related, just something that can force a window to a specific set of screen co-ordinates when it opens?

Thanks all!

TAG probably doesn't use DX11. 😀
Forcing windowed mode isn't done by dgVoodoo but by DXGI (DX11) watchdog thread. If it detects resizing the game window, or placing any other window over the game window when in fullscreen, then it forces the rendering back to windowed mode. Not much can be done there. 😢

daniel_u wrote:

Can you emulate to have all beams color to be white? I can be happy with that.

I don't know. It would be a big experimenting to achieve that somehow but does not have a priority now. 😐

VicRattlehead wrote:
Heavy Gear II seems to be missing some effects under dgvoodoo2, particularly distance fog and the terrain lighting up during a l […]
Show full quote

Heavy Gear II seems to be missing some effects under dgvoodoo2, particularly distance fog and the terrain lighting up during a lightning strike.

Those effects can be observed in these videos, all taken from the first mission and all from different people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSMBU1-WTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8CBdxGXeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M53BLsZEA2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vkLSfyIgU

This is what the game looks like on my end.
Heavy_Gear_2_exe_2016_11_30_18_28_42_848.jpg

Thanks! Now I have some games to fix, again. 😀

Reply 2811 of 3949, by janjansen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

its great, or would be, if it worked correctly 😀. Using dgvoodo, someone even got it working in 3D on his 3D TV, and that is even more impressive Im told.

Dege wrote:

It seems as if red and green were transposed, or green is completely missing. Does this come only with dgVoodoo? Other DX11 games, maybe?

Other DX11 titles seem to run fine. This only happens when dgvoodoo is running, and only with recent radeon drivers (or card). dgvoodoo with nVidia or intel and condor works fine on my machine. Another condor user using an older radeon card and 3+ year old drivers reports no problems using condor+dgvoodoo.

As for what happens, hopefully this will help you somehow. This is a condor loading screen without dgvoodoo:
ix2pVVZl.jpg

This is the same loading/splash screen with dgvoodoo active:
eWukM6ll.jpg

These images are jpg's provided by the condor scenery creator, you can access them directly in a folder. I uploaded one here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5bj91OWg5H … OU1WTDEydFY1U00

Because one thing that struck me was that windows file properties reports the "resolution unit" to be 2 and the color representation to be "uncalibrated". For every other jpg I have, that field is either blank or sRGB. Maybe that gives you a direction?

In game, it seems that area's where shadows are cast by clouds, work ok. The rest looks like mars. Here is a video in case it helps:

https://youtu.be/ghpoJdVGubo

At the beginning, the game is paused because I wanted to show the popping in/out of correct colors, only later did I realize this is caused by condor rendering shadows a little erratically, even when paused. The correct colors simple appear where shadows are cast by the clouds.

Reply 2812 of 3949, by cr4zyw3ld3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege is it possible for you to implement heighmap/specular support from external textures in dgVoodoo 2 with DX8 > DX11. Also hello lowenz

Thought I would throw this in here for reference from the guy that did the Unreal 1 DX10 renderer http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/page2.htm

Last edited by cr4zyw3ld3r on 2016-12-05, 01:53. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 2814 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
janjansen wrote:
its great, or would be, if it worked correctly :). Using dgvoodo, someone even got it working in 3D on his 3D TV, and that is ev […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

its great, or would be, if it worked correctly 😀. Using dgvoodo, someone even got it working in 3D on his 3D TV, and that is even more impressive Im told.

Dege wrote:

Other DX11 titles seem to run fine. This only happens when dgvoodoo is running, and only with recent radeon drivers (or card). dgvoodoo with nVidia or intel and condor works fine on my machine. Another condor user using an older radeon card and 3+ year old drivers reports no problems using condor+dgvoodoo.

As for what happens, hopefully this will help you somehow. This is a condor loading screen without dgvoodoo:
ix2pVVZl.jpg

This is the same loading/splash screen with dgvoodoo active:
eWukM6ll.jpg

These images are jpg's provided by the condor scenery creator, you can access them directly in a folder. I uploaded one here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5bj91OWg5H … OU1WTDEydFY1U00

Because one thing that struck me was that windows file properties reports the "resolution unit" to be 2 and the color representation to be "uncalibrated". For every other jpg I have, that field is either blank or sRGB. Maybe that gives you a direction?

In game, it seems that area's where shadows are cast by clouds, work ok. The rest looks like mars. Here is a video in case it helps:

https://youtu.be/ghpoJdVGubo

At the beginning, the game is paused because I wanted to show the popping in/out of correct colors, only later did I realize this is caused by condor rendering shadows a little erratically, even when paused. The correct colors simple appear where shadows are cast by the clouds.

Thanks for the extensive quantity of info! 😀
This all seems to me as a driver issue. Landscape is ok where the shadow is casted... maybe that part is drawn through multitexturing and the corresponding shader executes normally, unlike other parts.
I guess this issue comes in a 1 monitor scenario too.
What is interesting however is that the game doesn't seem to use too difficult rendering techniques (standard fixed function pipeline) so the corresponding shaders should work.
The best I could do is debug the game rendering to see what happens there.

cr4zyw3ld3r wrote:

Dege is it possible for you to implement heighmap/specular support from external textures in dgVoodoo 2 with DX8 > DX11. Also hello lowenz

Thought I would throw this in here for reference from the guy that did the Unreal 1 DX10 renderer http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/page2.htm

Parallax occlusion mapping looks fantastic. 😎 Applying that technique (and some others like Nucleoprotein's deposterizing algorithm) for some old games would be awesome...
Changing textures by external ones could be done through dgVoodoo in general but developing new rendering techniques rises some questions.
Whether dgVoodoo should support texture changing in general, or specialized builds along with specialized rendering techniques would be needed for particular games, etc.
It's a rather interesting topic, but unfortunately I cannot deal with it nowadays: I'm still in the middle of a big refactoring of dgVoodoo codebase.

Reply 2815 of 3949, by cr4zyw3ld3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the Reply Dege, I am looking forward to the refactor. Currently I am working on Thief:DS it already has a tool that loads external textures in a similar fashion to TExmod by replacing them in memory, therefore your tool does not need this functionality. However having POM/relief/offset mapping support would amazing. Whichever ends up being easiest to implement.

Reply 2816 of 3949, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dgvoodoo2 is working great. However, it forces to use 60Hz if the resolution is unforced. Is it possible to add an option to force the highest available refresh rate without forcing a specific resolution?

Reply 2817 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any chance you can look at Advent Rising, Dege? It works in dgVoodoo2, but there's some black flickering in the intro. More importantly, like playing it natively, it has no shadows. Shadows supposedly only ever worked on select hardware so it's probably doing something weird.

And again pretty please try to figure out a workaround for Star Wars Episode 1 Racer's z-fighting issues.

Reply 2818 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

dgvoodoo2 is working great. However, it forces to use 60Hz if the resolution is unforced. Is it possible to add an option to force the highest available refresh rate without forcing a specific resolution?

Yes, it's by design.
If the game doesn't declare what refresh rate to use when setting the display mode then dgVoodoo chooses a refresh rate that is closest to 60Hz.
It's because MS DX (probably) did the same, 60Hz was the most common for CRT's, and the game internal timing may be prepared to (expecting) that.

However you can always force the refresh rate independently on the resolution (see "custom resolutions").
Say, if you type "unforced, 75" manually into the resolution selector combo box and save the config then you force the refresh rate to 75 Hz (instead of the default 60) while leave the resolution unforced.
But, having a "dynamic version" of refresh rates (similar to dynamic resolutions) is not a bad idea, I'll implement it. So that, typing "unforced, max" would mean unforced resolution with maximum available refresh rate for the in-game-selected resoution.

cr4zyw3ld3r wrote:

Thanks for the Reply Dege, I am looking forward to the refactor. Currently I am working on Thief:DS it already has a tool that loads external textures in a similar fashion to TExmod by replacing them in memory, therefore your tool does not need this functionality. However having POM/relief/offset mapping support would amazing. Whichever ends up being easiest to implement.

ZellSF wrote:

Any chance you can look at Advent Rising, Dege? It works in dgVoodoo2, but there's some black flickering in the intro. More importantly, like playing it natively, it has no shadows. Shadows supposedly only ever worked on select hardware so it's probably doing something weird.

And again pretty please try to figure out a workaround for Star Wars Episode 1 Racer's z-fighting issues.

Yes, I'd like to deal both with improving appearance by additional rendering techniques and with fixing exsisting issues.
I must finish the refactor first, only after that it's possible. It'll take some time though.