VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1521 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I release the current WIP again. There still are issues I know of, and I would have liked to include more things in this pack but it's about time again...

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP15.zip

0. The internal 'Aspect Ratio' scaling is enabled, but unfortunately it's not ready yet.
Needed mouse emulation is still missing so it's going to work for games not requiring mouse as
an input device, I think. It's only for testing the appearance
(DXGI drives me crazy, I'm not sure if it can even detect the native resolution correctly).

1. D3D8

- Full support for point sprites is added
- Along with various bugfixings (like the ones in shader validator, state block handling,
polygon draw, vertex buffer sw/hw processing handling, reported texture memory, and so on)
- Onimusha menu: paletted texture support misdrive the app so all menu items are drawn white
With ATI Radeon 8500 only the selected menu item is white, as expected

(but still there are known things to fix)

2. DDraw/D3D

- More compatibility with MS DDraw (surface object handling)
Switching resolution and device inside Omikron - The Nomad Soul now should work
without freeze
- Little change in name and description string of the primary display device for
more compatibility (Rayman 2 Demo)
- Radeon's Ark now runs properly (no black textures)

3. Glide

- Option for enabling deactivation of an application is added

4. dgVoodooSetup

- 128+ resolutions bug is fixed

Reply 1524 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Farscape works now.

It still has texture coordinate issues on transparent polygons. That's one of the issues whose fix I would like to include to the wip. 🙁

teleguy wrote:
Dege wrote:

3. Glide

- Option for enabling deactivation of an application is added

What does that do?

Let the game receive the WM_ACTIVATE* messages so it can switch to a software renderer, quit, crash or do nothing special. 😀

Reply 1526 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

(DXGI drives me crazy, I'm not sure if it can even detect the native resolution correctly).

It's Hell itself ! 😁
AMD Radeon HD 7850, lastest Crimson, Windows (native) @1920x1080, 4 combinations in Crimson Settings (none working as expected :p )
Game is set to 1280x960.

GPU scaling OFF + Center
1600x900_GPU_Scaling_Off_Center.png

GPU scaling OFF + Preserve AR
1600x900_GPU_Scaling_Off_Preserve_AR.png

GPU scaling ON + Center (my normal setting)
1680x1050_GPU_Scaling_On_Center.png

GPU scaling ON + Preserve AR
1680x1050_GPU_Scaling_On_Preserve_AR.png

As you can see none of these screenshots is @1280x960 (GPU Scaling OFF @1600x900, GPU Scaling ON @1680x1050 -> WTF!?!?!? ).
And there's some texture alteration due to dgVoodoo resolution manipulation:
SCCT_Versus_2016_02_08_08_35_48_741.jpg

Reply 1527 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Post Scriptum: setting Windows to 1280x960 (GPU Scaling ON + Preserve Aspect Ratio in Crimson, working well for a fullscreen 4:3 Windows Desktop with black bars only left and right) doesn't help either!
With "Centered" and "Aspect Ratio (emulated)" the image is centered in a 1920x1080 frame.
With "Unspecified" and "Stretched" the image is always stretched to fill 16:9.

So no 1280x960 image with black bars left and right.

Reply 1528 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Little problem with the configuration UI:

dgv.jpg

As you see if you select "Geforce 4800" (or "ATI 8500") the RAM preset doesn't set automatically to the 128 limit (IMHO is the best choice for the branded virtualised VGAs, 256 can cause some problems, see UT crash at start with DDraw).

Reply 1530 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

Moto Racer 1 & 2 don't work with WIP15. I'm getting the black screen at startup.

Thanks, indeed. New texture formats are not enumerated to DDraw correctly... going to fix it.

lowenz wrote:
Little problem with the configuration UI: […]
Show full quote

Little problem with the configuration UI:

dgv.jpg

As you see if you select "Geforce 4800" (or "ATI 8500") the RAM preset doesn't set automatically to the 128 limit (IMHO is the best choice for the branded virtualised VGAs, 256 can cause some problems, see UT crash at start with DDraw).

For branded VGAs, 256MB shouldn't be there at all. I'd lovely remove them but some DX8 games unintelligibly don'r run with 128MB, if I got it right earlier.

lowenz wrote:
It's Hell itself ! :D AMD Radeon HD 7850, lastest Crimson, Windows (native) @1920x1080, 4 combinations in Crimson Settings (none […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

It's Hell itself ! 😁
AMD Radeon HD 7850, lastest Crimson, Windows (native) @1920x1080, 4 combinations in Crimson Settings (none working as expected :p )
Game is set to 1280x960.

GPU scaling OFF + Center
1600x900_GPU_Scaling_Off_Center.png

GPU scaling OFF + Preserve AR
1600x900_GPU_Scaling_Off_Preserve_AR.png

GPU scaling ON + Center (my normal setting)
1680x1050_GPU_Scaling_On_Center.png

GPU scaling ON + Preserve AR
1680x1050_GPU_Scaling_On_Preserve_AR.png

As you can see none of these screenshots is @1280x960 (GPU Scaling OFF @1600x900, GPU Scaling ON @1680x1050 -> WTF!?!?!? ).
And there's some texture alteration due to dgVoodoo resolution manipulation:
SCCT_Versus_2016_02_08_08_35_48_741.jpg

I'm confused where the resolutions come from but the aspect ratio seems to be fine. 1280/960 is 1.3, and measuring the inner rectangles in the screenshots also gives 1.3.
Preserving aspect ration doesn't mean getting 1280x960 (it should be the 'centered' case) but stretching to the native resolution (1920x1080 in your case) as far as the aspect ratio allows that.
Plain 'stretched and centered' cases are up to the driver.

Reply 1531 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
Myloch wrote:
Let me guess... are you using win8/8.1? or geforce card maybe? I tried 4 configurations so far: 1- win7 x64 - i7 860 - radeon hd […]
Show full quote

Let me guess... are you using win8/8.1? or geforce card maybe?
I tried 4 configurations so far:
1- win7 x64 - i7 860 - radeon hd5770 (it works OK)
2- winXP 32bit - pentium4 3ghz Prescott - radeon hd4650 (it works OK)
3- win8.1 - geforce 740m (not working, you run the game and the process closes)
4- winVista - Geforce 9300 ge (not working - http://i65.tinypic.com/14l0cav.jpg) < 🤣

I'm using various GeForces under Win7. It's strange because the crash doesn't occur in driver code but in the DX frame system so I don't understand how it works for you, but at least it works. 😀

Radeon cards do something nvidia cards doesn't apparently, because my radeon systems can execute the game correctly. The error with Geforce 9300 card is weird as shit.

Dege wrote:

However I get a crash natively when entering a scene using 3d card.

Dege wrote:

I'm using various GeForces under Win7. It's strange because the crash doesn't occur in driver code but in the DX frame system so I don't understand how it works for you, but at least it works. 😀

Aclair wrote:

I think most hardware cannot handle d3d1 colorkeytransparency = fail to acquire blit buffer = nvidia crash or ati black screen.

Last edited by Myloch on 2016-02-08, 16:15. Edited 1 time in total.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1532 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tested the DirectX demos for NVIDIA and ATI with the 2.51 WIP version:

• ATI Radeon's Ark (1.3) - runs great! Just need to cap the framerate; otherwise, the water effects render way too fast! (Strange, as the demo otherwise handles 60+ FPS well.)
  • Chameleon - no change for me, still shows all black.
  • Creature - can now run the setup_light.txt configuration, and lighting effects work, but the simulated sea-fog isn't present, so the background is pure white. Also, the demo freezes after ~1-5 seconds.
  • Toy Soldiers - no change, still CTD's on run.
  • Island 1, Island 2, and Island 3 - only the loading bars render; everything else is all black. That said, the demos actually run - you just can't see anything!
  • Nature, Rachel - both run now! ...except they crash without error upon exiting.
  • Light Scattering - no change, still doesn't show terrain correctly
  • Treasure Chest - only one light source has any visible effect on the scene, no bump-mapping, and the scene is otherwise rendered with black textures.
  • Crystal Ball - this one is really weird, to the point where it'd be easier to just show a video.

Reply 1533 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

but stretching to the native resolution (1920x1080 in your case) as far as the aspect ratio allows that.

Ah!

Isn't a best option to mimic the driver "stretching but preserving AR" ? (maybe it's simpler too) 'Cause the problem is Radeon CAN'T do that (they always fill the screen, but GeForce CAN, using the hack " Override the Scaling Mode set by games", it's an option in the NVCP and I think all gamers here need that thing, not some "fine-tuned" rescaling to native resolution) 😁

Reply 1536 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Expack, aren't you using an older GeForce with a "too new" driver? Similar happened to me recently, when I installed the newest one onto a GF 450 GTS, games started to crash or badly appear through dgVoodoo (didn't tested with anything else). So, I had to roll back to a 1-2 years old one to have it working properly.

Just got an AMD HD7850. Did some quick tests, all ATI tech demos work on that via dgVoodoo, as well as on my GF 560Ti and GF 450 GTS.
However, I forgot to say, sorry, nVidia tech demos don't work (except Chameleon), I didn't fixed them yet (btw, thanks for the video!! 😎 )

(and, when fixing DDraw texformat enumeration, I encountered a bug related to L8 textures, so now Rachel has reflections in her eyes)

I quickly tried Glide, and finally, I was managed to reproduce the driver crash. I hope I can workaround that somehow.

Interestingly, Wargods indeed works natively on this (with my patch). 😕
As if AMD supported executing execute buffers from hardware, avoiding the crashing DX frame system code, but I can hardly beleive it, especially on a modern GPU.

It also works through dgVoodoo though.

lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:

but stretching to the native resolution (1920x1080 in your case) as far as the aspect ratio allows that.

Ah!

Isn't a best option to mimic the driver "stretching but preserving AR" ? (maybe it's simpler too) 'Cause the problem is Radeon CAN'T do that (they always fill the screen, but GeForce CAN, using the hack " Override the Scaling Mode set by games", it's an option in the NVCP and I think all gamers here need that thing, not some "fine-tuned" rescaling to native resolution) 😁

That's what I exactly suppose to do. I try to choose the native resolution because dgVoodoo cannot query the physical properties of the display so only the native resolution is the one that can be assumed to fit accurately to the display surface and there is no difference in 'centered' and 'stretched' scaling for that (so that, the physical aspect ratio can be computed from that res).
Any other resolution (or, I'd rather say "window size") is up to the GPU/monitor combo, who knows how it appears on the display.

lowenz wrote:
Question about 16 bit colors handling in dgVoodoo Glide: is this Unreal color banding right/expected? […]
Show full quote

Question about 16 bit colors handling in dgVoodoo Glide: is this Unreal color banding right/expected?

(see the clouds)
Unreal_2016_02_08_16_57_54_961.jpg

16 bit textures? I've seen a lot of texture banding artifacts through Glide because of them.

Reply 1537 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

That's what I exactly suppose to do. I try to choose the native resolution because dgVoodoo cannot query the physical properties of the display so only the native resolution is the one that can be assumed to fit accurately to the display surface and there is no difference in 'centered' and 'stretched' scaling for that (so that, the physical aspect ratio can be computed from that res).
Any other resolution (or, I'd rather say "window size") is up to the GPU/monitor combo, who knows how it appears on the display.

And what about a brutal Lanczos upscaling to Windows Desktop resolution?

16 bit textures? I've seen a lot of texture banding artifacts through Glide because of them.

nGlide doesn't give that (and doesn't alter my Unreal.ini forcing the 16 bit color mode, dgVoodoo does).

If you have the possibility/time/will, can you add the passthrough ("passthru" :p) option to Glide too?
So I can test nGlide vs dgVoodoo with a single click :p

Reply 1538 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unreal's textures are all natively paletted, Voodoo supports palettes natively and Unreal shouldn't be converting to 16-bit color textures for Glide. It should be doing that for its Direct3D renderer though, since many D3D cards at the time didn't support that, and 16-bit color textures are less precise than what you could work with on a indexed, 256-color palette.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1539 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Interestingly, Wargods indeed works natively on this (with my patch). 😕
As if AMD supported executing execute buffers from hardware, avoiding the crashing DX frame system code, but I can hardly beleive it, especially on a modern GPU.

It also works through dgVoodoo though.

I tested your modded wargods exe on legacy pc (p200mmx, win98se, voodoo2 card) and direct3d works (natively).
A bit less interesting, considering the fact wargods developers probably programmed the game for a similar hardware.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"