VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1560 of 3949, by dx8gamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested d3d version MDK (640x480) with dgVoodoo WIP16 on win8.1 x64 GTX760M (with nVidia optimus).

The desktop resolution is 1280x720 and dgVoodoo scaling mode selects aspect ratio emulated.

The output image became 1280x720 in center of 1920x1080 as picture below:

MDKD3D%2525202016-02-12%25252021-16-25-02.png

But if I change desktop resolution to 1920x1080, dgVoodoo scaling aspect ratio works as expected.

Last edited by dx8gamer on 2016-02-14, 09:43. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1561 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I tried it quickly, installed the game + xpfix + ThemeParkWorldFix and it worked for me on Win7. […]
Show full quote

I tried it quickly, installed the game + xpfix + ThemeParkWorldFix and it worked for me on Win7.

Untitled.jpg

I don't know if the game has issues with Win10 other than the graphics.

AFAIK the XP Fix and associated Theme Park World Fix are pretty much required for playing Theme Park World/Sim Theme Park due to how fonts are literally being generated at runtime. Whatever method they decided to use for such purposes is (presumably) not supported on anything later than 98 (possibly ME).

Reply 1564 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to include the emulated aspect ratio scaling in a new version

Looking forward for it.

Just a suggestion. I propose center window by default when the game is runned in the windowed mode. Also I propose to hide window's border and title when game sets resolution resolution where width or height is equivalent to the current desktop resolution. It will look like fullscren, but it will allow such thing:

pseudofullscreen.png

It is much better behavior than current one, where the window doesn't fit user's screen. For example: http://veg.by/z/2016-02-16-14-41-39-f0ee3e47.jpg

BTW, Zeus already had implemented such behavior in the new version of the nGlide.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1568 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dx8gamer wrote:

But if I change desktop resolution to 1920x1080, dgVoodoo scaling aspect ratio works as expected.

Hm..., I think the native resolution cannot be detected, only the desktop resolution (according to DXGI docs).
EDIT: current desktop resolution on a given monitor
But I hope I'm wrong.

lowenz wrote:
Just a reminder for Commandos 3 problems (flat terrain shading and black squares): […]
Show full quote

Just a reminder for Commandos 3 problems (flat terrain shading and black squares):

commandos3_2016_02_12_18_23_00_700.png

commandos3_2016_02_12_18_23_05_341.png

Yes, there are some issues I know of, like this one but it's hard to discover the exact reason causing them.
Unfortunately I didn't have any time in the last week for dgVoodoo, but yesterday, finally I was managed to fix black polygons in BloodRayne2.
I was starving for the solution for two months, debugging the game by deepening into its internals, and only now I found it. Neither the SDK nor any nVidia/AMD tech white paper clarified my question. 😀
Commandos3 and Farscape seems to be the same -not so easy- cases.
(BTW, BloodRaynes are games hated by most of the people, for any reason? Because I like it. This girl looks better than a contemporary Lara Croft. 😀 )

VEG wrote:
Looking forward for it. […]
Show full quote

I'd like to include the emulated aspect ratio scaling in a new version

Looking forward for it.

Just a suggestion. I propose center window by default when the game is runned in the windowed mode. Also I propose to hide window's border and title when game sets resolution resolution where width or height is equivalent to the current desktop resolution. It will look like fullscren, but it will allow such thing:

It is much better behavior than current one, where the window doesn't fit user's screen. For example: http://veg.by/z/2016-02-16-14-41-39-f0ee3e47.jpg

Ok, I didn't forget about borderless window mode. But I don't really like the idea about the window automatically switching into this mode because
- there is no 'current desktop resolution'. dgVoodoo supports multimonitor configurations so it all would depend on what monitor the game window pops up on
- a window is just a window, even if it is too big to fit into the desktop. I still can resize it or sg.
- for DX games, the default DX behavior is minimizing the game window when it loses focus in fullscreen mode, but independently on that, there are games that detect losing focus and deactive themselves, so switching between a game and a chat window can't be a guaranteed feature.

Reply 1569 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:

Is Zeus registered here too? I thought he only use his own forum.

I don't think he is. There's a username registered named "Zeus" but it hasn't been used since 2004. There's also one named "zeus3dfx" but it doesn't seem to be him.

daniel_u was simply stating his excitement at VEG's post, which mentions Zeus: Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1570 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. I dont know if Zeus is registered. I was talking about that post only.

@Dege. So i tested some more Splinter Cel PT. The lights that come and go is a engine 'issue'. Is the way game deals with far away objects/level of detail.
So the only bug i can report is the color of the light that is not as the original. Who knows maybe the way i know it is just a default path in the game rendering .😀.
Do you have any news on this? I would love to see this get fixed. I promise i wont bring up SC PT ever again if this get fixed. 😀)

One thing i noticed , is that if i check Phong shading(not crashing anymore) the light in the game change for the worse. I keep this off.

As for the Splinter Cell, do you have any news? I really hope you find the issue with this game. I am playing it on the original xbox and saw some intersting issues as well.
Some are fixed for the PC version.

In other news , i suck at SC with a gamepad. And the checkpoint system makes some areas very hard to complete. 😀

Reply 1571 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rquiem doesn't show the HUD in 3Dfx mode. It only becomes visible when you charge up a shot. Other wrappers like dgVoodoo 1 and Zeckensacks Glide Wrapper have the same problem. Only nGlide works properly.

Also when you run the game in EmulationOnly mode and go back from ingame to the menu dgVoodoo only shows a black screen.

On a sidenote is there a chance that the requirements for dgVoodoo might be lowered to DirectX 10.0 some day?

Reply 1572 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:
@Dege. So i tested some more Splinter Cel PT. The lights that come and go is a engine 'issue'. Is the way game deals with far a […]
Show full quote

@Dege. So i tested some more Splinter Cel PT. The lights that come and go is a engine 'issue'. Is the way game deals with far away objects/level of detail.
So the only bug i can report is the color of the light that is not as the original. Who knows maybe the way i know it is just a default path in the game rendering .😀.
Do you have any news on this? I would love to see this get fixed. I promise i wont bring up SC PT ever again if this get fixed. 😀)

One thing i noticed , is that if i check Phong shading(not crashing anymore) the light in the game change for the worse. I keep this off.

As for the Splinter Cell, do you have any news? I really hope you find the issue with this game. I am playing it on the original xbox and saw some intersting issues as well.
Some are fixed for the PC version.

In other news , i suck at SC with a gamepad. And the checkpoint system makes some areas very hard to complete. 😀

Didn't deal with Splinter Cells since that. 🙁
I didn't give up fixing Splinter Cell shadow buffer, and checking those light colors in SCPT, but there are more important issues to fix.
Also, I reckon upon those bugs get fixed automatically or sg. 😊 😁
I mean, my experience is, if I cannot fix something at all at a given time, it's better to ditch that for a while, and it will be much easier next time 🤣 , or they get fixed as a side effect by studying and fixing another issue.
Like BloodRayne2.
Or Farscape, yesterday. 😎

teleguy wrote:

Also when you run the game in EmulationOnly mode and go back from ingame to the menu dgVoodoo only shows a black screen.

Thanks, will check that. EmulationOnly is the sw renderer?

teleguy wrote:

Rquiem doesn't show the HUD in 3Dfx mode. It only becomes visible when you charge up a shot. Other wrappers like dgVoodoo 1 and Zeckensacks Glide Wrapper have the same problem. Only nGlide works properly.

However I cannot see any difference in the respect of HUD between DX and 3DFX (or I miss sg):

N_vtelen.jpg

teleguy wrote:

On a sidenote is there a chance that the requirements for dgVoodoo might be lowered to DirectX 10.0 some day?

I need it here and there, especially for DX8 implementation.
Why would 10.0 help?

Reply 1574 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

Why would 10.0 help?

Old 2009 systems (notebooks with a decent 2009 VGA, -> 9600M) with Win 10 😁

Hmm, ok. 😀
I should list the 10.1 features I use for DX, to see what can be done for that.
I can't tell it by heart, but am certainly sure 10.0 would go hand in hand with some feature loss.

Reply 1575 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Ok, I didn't forget about borderless window mode. But I don't really like the idea about the window automatically switching into this mode because
- there is no 'current desktop resolution'. dgVoodoo supports multimonitor configurations so it all would depend on what monitor the game window pops up on

Probably, it is possible to detect where the window of a game is placed (which display, mostly) and center the window in this display when resolution is switching. It will be very useful for the games like NFS3/NFS4 where exclusive mouse input is used (and you can't even move this window because every click on the windows grabs mouse cursor).

Last edited by VEG on 2016-02-19, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1577 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
However I cannot see any difference in the respect of HUD between DX and 3DFX (or I miss sg): […]
Show full quote

However I cannot see any difference in the respect of HUD between DX and 3DFX (or I miss sg):

N_vtelen.jpg

This is how it looks for me:

3DFX_2016_02_19_22_08_24_301.jpg
Filename
3DFX_2016_02_19_22_08_24_301.jpg
File size
130.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

charging:

3DFX_2016_02_19_22_08_27_284.jpg
Filename
3DFX_2016_02_19_22_08_27_284.jpg
File size
131.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Hud appears for a second the moment you get control of your character and then it's gone.
Sporadically it reappears for a fraction of a second. I tried several times to capture a video but when I played back the files they were always corrupted from the point onwards right before the Hud shows up for the first time.

I also noticed the 3Dfx watermark doesn't show even though it's enabled.

Maybe still some AMD bugginess?

Reply 1579 of 3949, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:

Requiem doesn't show the HUD in 3Dfx mode.

AMD videocard with Catalyst?
Well, with nGlide you must enable "Catalyst AI" to see the HUD correctly. Maybe this will help with dgvoodoo2 too.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).