VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1602 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clearly visible in Mortyr:
http://i.imgur.com/ypTFwxi.png

Also the screenshot should be 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080. I'm seeing black bars on the top and bottom.

Different issue (no aspect ratio) with Earthsiege 2. In the fullscreen mode there's a problem with the cinematics and the cursor is inaccurate in the main menu.

Free Earthsiege 2:
http://www.tribesuniverse.com/

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 1603 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:
Texture alteration (camera angle related!) with Aspect Ratio (emulated) mode […]
Show full quote

Texture alteration (camera angle related!) with Aspect Ratio (emulated) mode

SCCT_Versus_2016_02_12_22_19_17_463.png

SCCT_Versus_2016_02_12_22_19_20_596.png

This one.

No save needed! Chaos Theory -> Versus (multiplayer) -> Launch a LAN game playing the spy

It happened before in other games too(old versions of dgvoodoo, it's not strictly related to new scaling code only), hotswitching the resolution in game. Maybe it's a problem related to dgvoodoo<->driver talking.

Reply 1604 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here it is (corruption still present, IMHO due to an automatic resolution switching after the game launch)

*AMD Settings -> scaling with centered image
*1280x960 -> 1680x1050 thanks to "Stretch with Aspect Ratio Kept":
SCCT_Versus_2016_03_01_16_29_21_072.jpg

*AMD Settings -> no scaling
*1280x960 -> 1600x900 thanks to "Stretch with Aspect Ratio Kept":
SCCT_Versus_2016_03_01_16_33_28_191.jpg

As before, the behaviour is really strange!
My monitor has a 1920x1080 panel.
Using "scaling with centered image" in AMD Settings and "Stretch with Aspect Ration Kept" gives me a 1680x1050 frame
Using "no scaling" in AMD Settings and "Stretch with Aspect Ration Kept" gives me a 1600x900 frame

I dare to re-ask 😁 Why not simply use a brutal Lanczos filter to Windows Desktop (if you can't find the "native" values of the monitor) resolution instead of searching the best next fitting resolution?

Reply 1605 of 3949, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So an issue with dgVoodoo in JK/Mots is the hud/map. It seems to really take the FPS off. Though of course this is partly a Jedi Knight issue. But if you dont use dgVoodoo the fps is cut less, and i mean way less.

FPS.jpg
Filename
FPS.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1606 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Firtasik wrote:

Also the screenshot should be 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080. I'm seeing black bars on the top and bottom.

I'm using the latest version of dgVoodoo and didnt noticed any problem so far. Here are some shots using dgV

img221734ffe5e12101c91814869e0be395.jpg
img2f62336228e0262f4eb7c73e8acb0f4e.jpg
imgc5f41f86ff08eae3dfce4b567b787563.jpg

Even with the WS patch and _inmm patched executable. Works great. Windows 10 64-bit.

Dege wrote:
stranno wrote:

I have some problems with Metal Gear Solid (Integral), if i set the dgVoodoo adapter in graphic options the water looks corrupted (some kind of weird dithering noise effect), menus are overlaped and the performance is bad in general, setting the maximum resolution.

This port could be the weirdest PS to PC port ever since it is an emulator of PS (at least the GTE part).

Is there a demo of this game?
I'm not familiar with Metal Gear but it seems it's not the same as I have as Metal Gear Solid (It has only sw and D3D support).

Yes, i'm talking about that SW/D3D version. I'm trying D3D support, i guess its Direct 3D 7/8 (it was released in 2000), to D3D 11.

Pages ago another user said it worked properly.

Reply 1607 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stranno wrote:

Even with the WS patch and _inmm patched executable. Works great. Windows 10 64-bit.

GeForce? Radeon HD 5770 & Windows 8.1 here.

WIP17: Blood 2 & Shogo crash or hang after quitting a game. v2.5 is OK. However, both versions of dgV are crashing randomly Blood 2 (I haven't played Shogo yet) while playing. Unsurprisingly, still get those damn frame drops. With DDrawCompat the game is fast and stable... but obviously there's no dithering. Sad.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 1609 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:
stranno wrote:

WIP17: Blood 2 & Shogo crash or hang after quitting a game. v2.5 is OK. However, both versions of dgV are crashing randomly Blood 2 (I haven't played Shogo yet) while playing. Unsurprisingly, still get those damn frame drops. With DDrawCompat the game is fast and stable... but obviously there's no dithering. Sad.

Remove any sound wrappers if you have any.

Reply 1610 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:
Clearly visible in Mortyr: http://i.imgur.com/ypTFwxi.png […]
Show full quote

Different issue (no aspect ratio) with Earthsiege 2. In the fullscreen mode there's a problem with the cinematics and the cursor is inaccurate in the main menu.

Free Earthsiege 2:
http://www.tribesuniverse.com/

Hmm, 😒 , checked it on my nVidia and AMD and both of them render properly. I never encountered that problem. 😕

lowenz wrote:

I dare to re-ask Why not simply use a brutal Lanczos filter to Windows Desktop (if you can't find the "native" values of the monitor) resolution instead of searching the best next fitting resolution?

Because Lanczos filter is a smoothing lowpass filter. How does it come into resolution detection? 😀

As for detecting the native/desktop resolution: DXGI seems to be total crap. Citating from the SDK, IDXGIOutput::FindClosestMatchingMode :

If a field is unspecified, FindClosestMatchingMode gravitates (haha) toward the values for the desktop related to this output. If this output is not part of the desktop, then the default desktop output is used to find values. If an application uses a fully unspecified display mode, FindClosestMatchingMode will typically return a display mode that matches the desktop settings for this output.

In spite of that, in practice, I get 1280x800 for my monitor with native res 1280x1024 (AMD).
In spite of that, in practice, I get 1280x960 for my secondary monitor with native res 1280x1024 (AMD).
In spite of that, in practice, I get 1680x1024 for my monitor with native res 1680x1050 (nVidia).

(Win7, but newer Windows seem to have the same issue.)

I don't know where those idiot values come from and why I don't simply get the current desktop resolution, but it's definitely "inaccurate". 😁
I also experimented with DXGI with 'mode switching disabled' (built-in borderless window mode without switching display mode). In this case DXGI seems to stretch the window output by preserving the aspect ratio. But, not always, there are cases where I experience the same mismatching aspect ratios as with FindClosestMatchingMode. And of course, a mouse emu would always be needed for this mode, without that one could give up for hw cursors.
So, 😵

But, I don't need the native or desktop res, after all, for the internal scaling.
I only need a display mode that physically fits the display without stretching, or has the same aspect ratio as that of the native resolution.

So, if you have a display output with native res 1980x1080 and dgVoodoo switches to 1600x900, it's still good because the aspect ratio is 1.78 for both.

stranno wrote:

Yes, i'm talking about that SW/D3D version. I'm trying D3D support, i guess its Direct 3D 7/8 (it was released in 2000), to D3D 11.
Pages ago another user said it worked properly.

Ok, I'll check it again.

Trank wrote:

So an issue with dgVoodoo in JK/Mots is the hud/map. It seems to really take the FPS off. Though of course this is partly a Jedi Knight issue. But if you dont use dgVoodoo the fps is cut less, and i mean way less.

Didn't checked myself, but I'm aware of that. Unfortunately it's still an issue but I'm planning to improve vidmem access in the future.

Firtasik wrote:
stranno wrote:

WIP17: Blood 2 & Shogo crash or hang after quitting a game. v2.5 is OK. However, both versions of dgV are crashing randomly Blood 2 (I haven't
played Shogo yet) while playing. Unsurprisingly, still get those damn frame drops. With DDrawCompat the game is fast and stable... but obviously there's no dithering. Sad.

Indeed, thanks! I fixed it. Also, Alt-Tabbing was broken.
However from random ingame crashes, it would be nice to see a crash dump. When I experienced a crash, it always turned out that it crashed in a music/sound(? or sg like that) dll so wasn't a wrapper related issue.

Reply 1611 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Firtasik wrote:
stranno wrote:

Yes, 970.

lowenz wrote:

Hotswitch the resolution in game (=without exiting the game).

I havent tried since i can choose whatever resolution with the patched executables of WSGF.

Reply 1612 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Because Lanczos filter is a smoothing lowpass filter. How does it come into resolution detection? 😀

As for detecting the native/desktop resolution: DXGI seems to be total crap. Citating from the SDK, IDXGIOutput::FindClosestMatchingMode :

Not for the detection! For a brutal upscaling!

Example:

Original frame (1280x960)->aspect ratio calculation (4:3)->Desktop resolution detection (1080p)->Upscaling the original frame to Desktop resolution with Lanczos (1280x960 -> 1440x1080 + 2 black bars to fill 1920x1080)

Reply 1613 of 3949, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
mudlord wrote:

For some reason, for Bejeweled Twist, 3D acceleration is not able to be enabled in the ingame options. Thus, high resolutions and 3D screen transitions are unable to be used.

Isn't accelerated mode driven by D3D9? Or I may mess that with Bejeweled 3.

Its interesting. Has DirectDrawCreateEx calls and seen some string references to IID_Direct3D7. Has some mix of PopCap and Valve DRM it seems.

Reply 1614 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Not for the detection! For a brutal upscaling! […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

Not for the detection! For a brutal upscaling!

Example:

Original frame (1280x960)->aspect ratio calculation (4:3)->Desktop resolution detection (1080p)->Upscaling the original frame to Desktop resolution with Lanczos (1280x960 -> 1440x1080 + 2 black bars to fill 1920x1080)

Ok, but that's an extra, "nice to have" feature. 😀
Issue of the internal scaling now is about detecting a resolution to upscale to.
But, since I cannot see any solution for now, I think I'll stick to the current state.

mudlord wrote:

Its interesting. Has DirectDrawCreateEx calls and seen some string references to IID_Direct3D7. Has some mix of PopCap and Valve DRM it seems.

When I switch to 3D accelerated mode (natively) and attach to the popcapgame.exe (or sg like that) to see what modules are load then D3D9.dll is clearly there.
I think Bejeweled 3 and Twist uses DDraw for the unaccelerated case (raw drawing, maybe some hw blitting) and D3D9 for the accelerated mode.

Reply 1615 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Issue of the internal scaling now is about detecting a resolution to upscale to.
But, since I cannot see any solution for now, I think I'll stick to the current state.

Do not detect (the native/maximum res), use the entry selected in this list! 😁

image.jpg

Reply 1616 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Do not detect (the native/maximum res), use the entry selected in this list! :D […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

Do not detect (the native/maximum res), use the entry selected in this list! 😁

image.jpg

And what about Glide?
The resolution selector has effect on that (also, I'd like to implement resolution overriding for DX some day).
(we have 2 resolutions here, one used for size of buffer(s) rendering goes to, and one for upscaling to)

Reply 1619 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blood 2: That game crashes frequently unless you set it to single core affinity.

Lanczos scaling suggestion: Please don't do that lanczos looks terrible for pixel art games. Only scaling algorithm that looks decent with everything is bilinear. Though ideally there'd be a choice between scaling options..