VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1643 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

I experienced that phenonema, now it should work properly.

It is still buggy. Native resolution of my display is 1920×1200, dgVoodoo uses 1920×1200, but for some reason inscribes image into 1920×1080, so I have black bars at the all sides of the image. Aspect ratio of the menu is ok (but it is inscribed into a box 1920×1080, not 1920×1200), but gameplay is squeezed from 1920×1200 to 1920×1080, so aspect ratio even distorted, not preserved.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1644 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found something interesting (maybe) about the stretching (with AR preservation) implementation on Nvidia GPUs.

Disabling the option "Override the scaling mode" in NVCP the behaviour of dgVoodoo rescaler/stretcher is the same of AMD GPUs, now the "obvious one" with WIP18 (image stretched to fill all the monitor height).
Enabling the option "Override the scaling mode" in NVCP the behaviour of dgVoodoo rescaler/stretcher is the old WIP17 one 😁: dgVoodoo finds the closest (?!?!?) resolution (1680x1050), add the black bars and centers the frame (1680x1050 over 1920x1080).

Reply 1648 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As for UT2004, it locks the backbuffer at each frame for some reason, that's the performance chopper. It's a bit disappointing as Unreal engine tipically draws everything by the GPU. It's present everywhere, even in rendering the game menu.

And, fastvidmem access is not compatible with that engine, it causes crash. Anyway, it has no priority, for the time being, for this version, to improve it somehow, especially if the game works natively.
I'd like to improve GDI compatibility next, I think it's more important to see game cutscene videos instead of black screens.

MrEWhite wrote:

Well, without dgVoodoo the intro videos flicker. And using projector shadows also work fine, after using projector, the game still goes windowed at resolution changes. I'm also running a GTX 980 btw

For me too, it goes windowed. Never examined the reason, just forced back to fullscreen by Alt-Tab.
But I could have a look into it.

VEG wrote:

It is still buggy. Native resolution of my display is 1920×1200, dgVoodoo uses 1920×1200, but for some reason inscribes image into 1920×1080, so I have black bars at the all sides of the image. Aspect ratio of the menu is ok (but it is inscribed into a box 1920×1080, not 1920×1200), but gameplay is squeezed from 1920×1200 to 1920×1080, so aspect ratio even distorted, not preserved.

I guess you have your desktop at 1920x1200. And, it seems the driver don't allow to switch the monitor to 1920x1200 but only to 1920x1080.
I encountered similar with 1680x1050 vs 1680x1024 on my monitor earlier, but I don't know why it was.

lowenz wrote:

dgVoodoo finds the closest (?!?!?) resolution (1680x1050), add the black bars and centers the frame (1680x1050 over 1920x1080).

It only queries the current desktop resolution and switch to that mode in fullscreen, and center-stretches the image into it.

lowenz wrote:

Now the only feature missing is the ability to disable the scaling filter for custom resolution with height identical to native height (for a 1920x1080 monitor -> 1440x1080 / 1728x1080), to avoid in those cases the unnecessary filtering.

If the height or width of the centered image is the same as the resolution it scaled up to, then no filtering takes place because the scale factor is 1.
But, just to make sure, I could apply a point-sampled filter for those cases.

And, again, I must emphasize: if your GPU control panel provides a way to override the scaling method set by the applications, then it's recommended to utilize that. Set dgVoodoo's scaling to 'unspecified' and 'scale with aspect ratio' on the control panel.
dgVoodoo's internal method is just a last resort, and, as I said previously, it's not even equivalent to the one performed on the GPU, because the game window size is different as expected, mouse problems can occur, etc.

Reply 1649 of 3949, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all,

I was able to found a solution for all the problems in Resident Evil 1, except for videos. Here is what I did:

1)using the game Setup, select the video board 5 - Creative Rendition
2)in dgVoodoo2 setup panel, DirectX tab, select the only ATI board (cannot remember the model now) and disable all flags
3)launch residentevil.exe in win95 compatibility mode
4)when you are in the main menu (the big eye with the red Resident Evil logo), press F8 to switch to 640x480

Now the game runs in 640x480, all textures are correctly displayed and also speed is OK (final boss with countdown not checked, this is point I have to verify, last time I played time was running too fast).
Videos are OK in windowed mode but audio only in fullscreen. I saw it was already noted in a previous post as unsolved.
I will keep Resident Evil installed in case I can help someone with more ideas or testing. Please let me know if I can help.
After Resident Evil 1 is OK, I will make some experiments with 2. I tried something, but no good up to now.

Reply 1650 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
As for UT2004, it locks the backbuffer at each frame for some reason, that's the performance chopper. It's a bit disappointing a […]
Show full quote

As for UT2004, it locks the backbuffer at each frame for some reason, that's the performance chopper. It's a bit disappointing as Unreal engine tipically draws everything by the GPU. It's present everywhere, even in rendering the game menu.

And, fastvidmem access is not compatible with that engine, it causes crash. Anyway, it has no priority, for the time being, for this version, to improve it somehow, especially if the game works natively.
I'd like to improve GDI compatibility next, I think it's more important to see game cutscene videos instead of black screens.

MrEWhite wrote:

Well, without dgVoodoo the intro videos flicker. And using projector shadows also work fine, after using projector, the game still goes windowed at resolution changes. I'm also running a GTX 980 btw

For me too, it goes windowed. Never examined the reason, just forced back to fullscreen by Alt-Tab.
But I could have a look into it.

VEG wrote:

I guess you have your desktop at 1920x1200. And, it seems the driver don't allow to switch the monitor to 1920x1200 but only to 1920x1080.
I encountered similar with 1680x1050 vs 1680x1024 on my monitor earlier, but I don't know why it was.

lowenz wrote:

dgVoodoo finds the closest (?!?!?) resolution (1680x1050), add the black bars and centers the frame (1680x1050 over 1920x1080).

It only queries the current desktop resolution and switch to that mode in fullscreen, and center-stretches the image into it.

lowenz wrote:

Now the only feature missing is the ability to disable the scaling filter for custom resolution with height identical to native height (for a 1920x1080 monitor -> 1440x1080 / 1728x1080), to avoid in those cases the unnecessary filtering.

If the height or width of the centered image is the same as the resolution it scaled up to, then no filtering takes place because the scale factor is 1.
But, just to make sure, I could apply a point-sampled filter for those cases.

And, again, I must emphasize: if your GPU control panel provides a way to override the scaling method set by the applications, then it's recommended to utilize that. Set dgVoodoo's scaling to 'unspecified' and 'scale with aspect ratio' on the control panel.
dgVoodoo's internal method is just a last resort, and, as I said previously, it's not even equivalent to the one performed on the GPU, because the game window size is different as expected, mouse problems can occur, etc.

Also, do I have to use shadow mode 0 in SC?

Reply 1651 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Yes. Shadowbuffer is not supported yet for SC, only for Pandora Tomorrow.

Dege wrote:

Alt-Enter, sorry. I run the game with 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' option disabled.

LoneKiller wrote:
1)using the game Setup, select the video board 5 - Creative Rendition 2)in dgVoodoo2 setup panel, DirectX tab, select the only A […]
Show full quote

2)in dgVoodoo2 setup panel, DirectX tab, select the only ATI board (cannot remember the model now) and disable all flags
4)when you are in the main menu (the big eye with the red Resident Evil logo), press F8 to switch to 640x480

As far as I remember this game conflicted with supporting paletted textures. ATI 8500 preset doesn't support it, I guess that's why it runs with it now.

LoneKiller wrote:

Videos are OK in windowed mode but audio only in fullscreen. I saw it was already noted in a previous post as unsolved.

That's the general issue I want to fix next.

Reply 1652 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
Yes. Shadowbuffer is not supported yet for SC, only for Pandora Tomorrow. […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Yes. Shadowbuffer is not supported yet for SC, only for Pandora Tomorrow.

Dege wrote:

Alt-Enter, sorry. I run the game with 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' option disabled.

LoneKiller wrote:
1)using the game Setup, select the video board 5 - Creative Rendition 2)in dgVoodoo2 setup panel, DirectX tab, select the only A […]
Show full quote

As far as I remember this game conflicted with supporting paletted textures. ATI 8500 preset doesn't support it, I guess that's why it runs with it now.

LoneKiller wrote:

That's the general issue I want to fix next.

Ah, my fault for being an idiot then. It would be nice if you fixed that alt+tabbing issue though.

Reply 1653 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

For who is interested in Diablo (1997), here's another (dedicated, with some nice features) lovely D3D9 wrapper: http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/project … -vista-patch=60

No wrapper, Diablo 1 Windows 7/Vista Patch and dgV2 are glitchy here:
http://imgur.com/qYf8WhW

DDrawCompat is fine:
http://imgur.com/sFlKdCt

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 1654 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

It is definitely not true. Just because when I use “unspecified” scaling mode in the dgVoodoo settings, 1920×1200 works fine. But when I use “stretched with aspect ratio kept”, display still works in 1920×1200 during gameplay, but the image is rendered in the middle of the screen as 1920×1080 with distorted proportions of the image. The game thinks that it is rendered as 1920×1200.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 1656 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
kjliew wrote:

Heavy Gear 2 is not working.
It works on Windows 7 after compatibility patch.

What patch ?

A manual patch with https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … ls.aspx?id=7352

http://forums.heavygear.com/discussion/321/ho … ng-on-windows-7

Reply 1657 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aspect ratio correction seems to opt for 2400x1360 here which is NOT my desktop resolution, but my highest custom resolution.

My native resolution (2560x1440) or desktop resolution (2560x1440) is not used. Using a Nvidia card.

Last edited by ZellSF on 2016-03-09, 09:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1658 of 3949, by Matsilagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested it with Megarace 3 (a very problematic game when comes to wrappers) and the DX8 to DX11 dgvoodoo2 wrapper worked like a charm, i can even use graphic mods on it!

However, i would like to know if there's any way to run DX11 in a window

Oh also, Phong shading doesn't work with it (makes my own ship black) and for some reason if you choose the track Practice 1-1 with Vulcain, it won't load its textures, this also happen on the menus, playing on other tracks makes the texture load just fine.

Reply 1659 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matsilagi wrote:

Tested it with Megarace 3 (a very problematic game when comes to wrappers) and the DX8 to DX11 dgvoodoo2 wrapper worked like a charm, i can even use graphic mods on it!

However, i would like to know if there's any way to run DX11 in a window

Oh also, Phong shading doesn't work with it (makes my own ship black) and for some reason if you choose the track Practice 1-1 with Vulcain, it won't load its textures, this also happen on the menus, playing on other tracks makes the texture load just fine.

Uhmm, this game is very sensible. It's a typical case of hyper-sensibility for the current environment.
When the game starts and puts the display into the required graphics mode via D3D8, it then queries that back through GDI. If the two doesn't match (as it doesn't do with dgVoodoo) then the game runs on extra code paths ending up in D3D8 resource leak, causing failing initialization and then causing crash...

So, I can only launch it with 'Unspecified' scaling mode (fullscreen) because it seems it's the only mode where the real resolution set up by the driver is the same as the game wants (on my computer).
But the cutscene videos are still corrupt because the game thinks the current display mode is 32 bit and feed 16bit-D3D8 with 32 bit images (similar occurs with Nomad Soul).

Texture corruption has sg to do with paletted texture support. If I play it through the ATI 8500 preset then it seems to be fine.
Phong has indeed buggy, will check some day. Alt-Enter doesn't work with this game but maybe I could hack sg to make it work.

lowenz wrote:
Davros wrote:
kjliew wrote:

Heavy Gear 2 is not working.
It works on Windows 7 after compatibility patch.

What patch ?

A manual patch with https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … ls.aspx?id=7352

http://forums.heavygear.com/discussion/321/ho … ng-on-windows-7

That game works for me. Installed the original, applied some patch replacing shell.dll (or sg like that) and it ran without rendering errors for me on Win7 through dgVoodoo.

VEG wrote:
Dege wrote:

It is definitely not true. Just because when I use “unspecified” scaling mode in the dgVoodoo settings, 1920×1200 works fine. But when I use “stretched with aspect ratio kept”, display still works in 1920×1200 during gameplay, but the image is rendered in the middle of the screen as 1920×1080 with distorted proportions of the image. The game thinks that it is rendered as 1920×1200.

Ok, I changed to 'unspecified' scaling mode when setting the desktop resolution, it still seems to work fine on my computers (AMD, nVidia).
If not even this one will work for you then I think I cannot do anything else for this issue. 🙁

I had a sudden idea about how fast vidmem access could be made compatible with Unreal engines and tried it.
It works so UT2004 can now be run at a much higher performance (jumping from 67fps to 480fps at the initial rendering screen).