VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2380 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

*SC2 doesn't even start: "General protection fault! History: CreateEchelonTextures <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine" UE message

Removing the widescreen fix by ThirteenAG the game starts but fails to load a level (same as SC1)

General protection fault!

History: FD3DRenderInterface::DrawPrimitive <- FStaticMeshRender <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FCameraSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Reply 2381 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's the first bug for SC:
The level is the oil refinery. In the ocean you can see some lines that make up some squares. Artefacts?
Here is the save game to downaload and test:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01418287687537353629
I'm using 2x MSAA with a 4k resolution(nvidia downsampled).

Picture here: http://imgur.com/yaj4poH

Second bug: Shiny textures. You can observe more here: https://youtu.be/nB9BTbtNyDw?t=9m.
Save game here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00807555039924949758

Hope it helps.

Last edited by daniel_u on 2016-08-02, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2382 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: "General protection fault! History: CreateEchelonTextures <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine" UEmessage

.....is due to low RAM of the default GF4 preset, 128 MB. With 256 MB the game starts fine with the Widescreen Patch. Still, loading a level:

General protection fault!

History: FD3DRenderInterface::DrawPrimitive <- RenderBspSurface <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FCameraSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Reply 2383 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it's because I'm not using any widescreen anything, but running at 1600x1200 using dgVoodoo2 WIP25, GeForce 4 Ti w/256 MB VRAM, and fast memory access hasn't caused me a single problem. Though I haven't gotten to the oil refinery level yet, and I don't know what the game is supposed to look like with working shadow buffers other than the screenshots shown, it looks fine from here!

EDIT: Here's the game running through the first real-time cinematic (briefing for Training): https://youtu.be/p1ZZ1cKIlzo

Reply 2384 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Expack3 wrote:

I guess it's because I'm not using any widescreen anything, but running at 1600x1200 using dgVoodoo2 WIP25, GeForce 4 Ti w/256 MB VRAM, and fast memory access hasn't caused me a single problem. Though I haven't gotten to the oil refinery level yet, and I don't know what the game is supposed to look like with working shadow buffers other than the screenshots shown, it looks fine from here!

EDIT: Here's the game running through the first real-time cinematic (briefing for Training): https://youtu.be/p1ZZ1cKIlzo

The problem is the lines in the water.

Reply 2385 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
Expack3 wrote:

The problem is the lines in the water.

I saw that from your screenshot. As I said, I haven't gotten to that level yet, so I can't test to see if I have that issue.

Reply 2387 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

I found the culprit: the MSAA - and so FL 10.1 - seems *needed* to use Shadowbuffer Mode :p

All the problems I had are solved turning it ON. Can you fix it, Dege? MSAA shouldn't be a requisite :p

Does it come only with widescreen patch? (I should try it)
I re-tested SC with and without MSAA, FL10.0, FL10.1 with GF4 128MB VRAM and the game worked fine.

I set the ingame resolution to 1024x768 and scaled it up from that through dgVoodoo, but if you use larger resolutions then the amount of GF4 VRAM can be a problem.

SCPT also worked fine. Does WIP25 crash for you, while earlier version works?

The water has a glitch, indeed, because it looks fine natively.
I thought I would never debug Splinter Cell again, but... 😁 😁 😁

Expack3 wrote:

Cool video! 😎

Reply 2389 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

The water has a glitch, indeed, because it looks fine natively.
I thought I would never debug Splinter Cell again, but... 😁 😁 😁

Until that level it worked ok. I'm very happy.

There's also the shiny texture glitch. I'm really curios of the cause. Shiny textures affects Geforce FX series but not GeForce 4 Ti 's.

Looking forward,the game comes with some .bat files(used for benckmarks). Try running those(check to see which demo's are working with shadow buffers).

When i ran one of them i had some weird issues . Shadows were all over the place(Kalinatek level). Something was not working right.
I didnt play test those levels yet but there could be some problems ahead.

Last edited by daniel_u on 2016-08-03, 08:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2390 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

but if you use larger resolutions then the amount of GF4 VRAM can be a problem.

256 is good enough, no slowdowns at all.
But maybe you can add more memory (512,1024), the only thing important is to set the preset to 128 MB (as it is) for old Unreal Engine versions.

Reply 2391 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:

but if you use larger resolutions then the amount of GF4 VRAM can be a problem.

256 is good enough, no slowdowns at all.
But maybe you can add more memory (512,1024), the only thing important is to set the preset to 128 MB (as it is) for old Unreal Engine versions.

I'm quite sure you can edit the amount of memory there, no?

Reply 2392 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
daniel_u wrote:

Yes, but the real problem is why with UT 436 every value above 128 MB causes this:

330z22w.jpg

Unreal Gold D3D renderer from the Anthology (2006)+Unofficial Patch 227i seems to be NOT tainted by this issue. UT one is affected.

Reply 2393 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
Yes, but the real problem is why with UT 436 every value above 128 MB causes this: […]
Show full quote
daniel_u wrote:

Yes, but the real problem is why with UT 436 every value above 128 MB causes this:

330z22w.jpg

Unreal Gold D3D renderer from the Anthology (2006)+Unofficial Patch 227i seems to be NOT tainted by this issue. UT one is affected.

Check if your PC's swap file is large enough.

Reply 2395 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

I found the culprit: the MSAA - and so FL 10.1 - seems *needed* to use Shadowbuffer Mode :p

All the problems I had are solved turning it ON. Can you fix it, Dege? MSAA shouldn't be a requisite :p

Ok, I can reproduce it: Unforced resolution + no MSAA causes a crash. Fixed.
Water glitch is due to forced resolution, it's fine with unforced one. Since water is dinamically rendered into textures, resolution forcing affects their size. Even integer scale factor (ISF) doesn't help. 😒

lowenz wrote:

4 GB.
Obviously that message is not to be taken literally, it's a cry of misunderstanding between drivers+OS and UT+dgvoodoo2 :p

With 128 MB UT runs perfectly. Dege too encountered the problem, it's why the presets are set to 64/128 MB.

Yes, I was able to reproduce it. I'm going to check it out.

daniel_u wrote:

There's also the shiny texture glitch. I'm really curios of the cause. Shiny textures affects Geforce FX series but not GeForce 4 Ti 's.

Looking forward,the game comes with some .bat files(used for benckmarks). Try running those(check to see which demo's are working with shadow buffers).

When i ran one of them i had some weird issues . Shadows were all over the place(Kalinatek level). Something was not working right.

Could you post screenshots about them, when you get there, plz?

Reply 2396 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Water glitch is due to forced resolution, it's fine with unforced one. Since water is dinamically rendered into textures, resolution forcing affects their size. Even integer scale factor (ISF) doesn't help. 😒

Can it be fixed?
I will try to run the game forcing the resolution in the game files + unforced in the dgvoodoo ,to see if this will help.

Dege wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

Could you post screenshots about them, when you get there, plz?

Will post asap.(the bat files should be in the system folder of the game)

Reply 2398 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
daniel_u wrote:
Dege wrote:

Can it be fixed?
I will try to run the game forcing the resolution in the game files + unforced in the dgvoodoo ,to see if this will help.

Try getting ThirteenAG's widescreen fix, disabling the ThirteenAG shadow buffer fix in both the inis, and rename ThirteenAG's d3d8.dll to d3d81.dll. This should allow you to run at your native resolution without issue.