VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2461 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

The shininess is present rotating the camera!

-1 time, when the surface is in front of the sun (native d3d8, modern hw)
-2 times (!) with dgVoodoo2.

It's possible that this bug it's indeed the shiny texture bug which i was talking about all this time. It happens on all hardware except original GF4 cards. It seems it appears on both modes: projector and shadow buffers.

Reply 2464 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up using WARP.

WARP:
image.png

AMD D3D8:
image.png

dgVoodoo2 D3D11:
image.png

If we assume WARP to be a sort of "reference implementation" (it's not but it's from MS), the correct cubemap is the AMD one.
And if we assume I'm right, the problem lies in some camera-lightsource angle issue in cubemap processing (the angle between the surface normals and the lightsource direction).

Reply 2465 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you use dgVoodoo then behavior is always emulated so using WARP should be same as hardware, you need to use Reference Rasterizer for old D3D8 (D3DDEVTYPE_REF device type I think) which i think will not work at all, so only proper check is to have old graphic card with old Windows and drivers configuration.
Also reference device can render differently than hardware because of hacks such like in Spliter Cell shadows which depends on hardware/driver behavior.

Reply 2467 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WARP is based on the reference rasterizer codebase. Therefore, WARP uses the same software interface to both Direct3D 10 and later and DXGI. WARP is included in Windows 7 in the D3d10warp.dll, located in Windows systems folders.

I think WARP is only available trough DX10/DX11 runtime (DXGI) and is not available in D3D8/D3D9 but maybe I'm wrong.

Reply 2468 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nucleoprotein wrote:

WARP is based on the reference rasterizer codebase. Therefore, WARP uses the same software interface to both Direct3D 10 and later and DXGI. WARP is included in Windows 7 in the D3d10warp.dll, located in Windows systems folders.

I think WARP is only available trough DX10/DX11 runtime (DXGI) and is not available in D3D8/D3D9 but maybe I'm wrong.

It's what I thought myself.
But it's working. DDraw too.

Reply 2471 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the "remove more profile than selected ones" problem in the configurator, I experienced one again the issue:
-added today the DXIW profile
-removed NOLF2 profile just now
-DXIW profile vanished too (from the list, not the file in the game folder)

So maybe it's a problem with the last entry.....

Reply 2472 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a non-working game report... sort of: Star Trek Deep Space 9 - Dominion Wars

In Windows 10, if the game is ran using dgVoodoo alone, it just crashes. It does this if you attempt to run natively too. There is an old fix from here, http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/
, that no longer fixes the game natively (the mouse is broken in the menus, and I suspect the game would be sluggish even if it could get that far). However, it seems to work well if combined with dgVoodoo.

It would be nice if that fix wasn't needed though, and the game could run through dgVoodoo alone.

Reply 2474 of 3949, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am new to using dgVoodoo and just gave the latest WIP build a try with Splinter Cell. It works, but I have a couple of issues that may be very basic, but I hope someone can help:

I have a GTX 285 (DirectX 10.1) on W7x64. Every time Splinter Cell switches resolution, from menu/movie clips to game (which I have set to 1600x1200), the game only takes up 1/4 of the top left of my screen space. Alt-Entering to windowed mode and back to full screen fixes it, but several graphical glitches then occur. For instance, the windows in the training level show up as overbright white rectangles that shine through everything. Back to windowed makes the problems disappear. Is there a known fix or workaround for this?

Also, I noticed the 'shimmering' effect of light rays (like in the office in the intro) seems way too fast. After forcing vsync the fast flickering turns into more of the expected shimmer, but it's still way too fast. Is this just that the game expects to run at a certain (lower) frame rate, I assume around 30, or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Reply 2476 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sndwv wrote:

Also, I noticed the 'shimmering' effect of light rays (like in the office in the intro) seems way too fast. After forcing vsync the fast flickering turns into more of the expected shimmer, but it's still way too fast. Is this just that the game expects to run at a certain (lower) frame rate, I assume around 30, or is there a way to fix this?

No problems for me @60 FPS.

Reply 2477 of 3949, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

No problems for me @60 FPS.

Taking Phil's recording on actual hardware as benchmark, for me the light beams move a lot quicker, even with vsync on, more like the speed of projectors mode here (mabe even faster):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9BTbtNyDw#t=18m2s

*edit: looking at the full video it does seems like it's related to the framerate. The FX card (projectors) runs at twice the frame rate of the period-specific Ti-4800 (buffers). I guess the slower ~20-30 fps is just how I remember it from playing the game back in the day.

Is there an easy way to limit dgVoodoo to 30 fps to see if that looks better to me?

Reply 2478 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dege
Starfleet Command III is terrible broken with and without dgVoodoo, can you look a it ? I love Star Trek 😀 It even sets for me interlaced resolution at 30Hz ignoring dgVoodoo settings 🙁

EDIT: Here is a mod which -almost- work: http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-starflee … -upgrade-mod-30 - it's working in window without borders on half of screen in 30Hz interlaced mode 🙁

Reply 2479 of 3949, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

any idea why every game is forced vsync on?
dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4, NFS 2 SE and every other game is vsynched.

NFS 4 doesnt force to use vsync though. It has just a framelimiter of 64 while driving. ESC menu is uncapped, main menu I remember being uncapped too.
NFS 2 was completely uncapped, even ingame.

Why is now every game with glide forced to use vsync now? And nGlide has the same problem. What is going on here?

In Blood 2, when I use the mouse, it just randomly jerks to the top of my screen. It works fine native (without dgVoodoo 2)

Had the same problem. Use 2.50 for blood. That version works fine.