VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3480 of 3949, by TheNickle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone noticed that when using dgVoodoo 2 for Splinter Cell (1) the game stutters quite a bit? And it easily repeatable as well, I notice this stuttering in some areas of the game more than others. It's not deal breaking, just slightly distracting.

Reply 3481 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheNickle wrote:

Has anyone noticed that when using dgVoodoo 2 for Splinter Cell (1) the game stutters quite a bit? And it easily repeatable as well, I notice this stuttering in some areas of the game more than others. It's not deal breaking, just slightly distracting.

I' don't see it (and RTSS neither).
And I'm using ReShade+WS fix on top of dgVoodoo2 too.

splintercell_2018_02_22_09_59_40_133.jpg

(there's the dedicated thread)

Reply 3482 of 3949, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheNickle wrote:

I noticed it. In the first mission inside prison/morgue I had some major stuttering, was thinking of giving up on dgvoodoo. I have a save and can recreate it. Luckily in later levels it was not very noticeable, so I wasn't being distracted by it.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 3483 of 3949, by TheNickle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

I' don't see it (and RTSS neither).
And I'm using ReShade+WS fix on top of dgVoodoo2 too.

(there's the dedicated thread)

Hm... well that's strange. Because it happens with me all the time. I'm playing the steam version of Splinter Cell and have used multiple versions of dgvoodoo and recently changed graphics card to a 960, but still no luck.

Reply 3484 of 3949, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm also experiencing stuttering in Pandora Tomorrow. Not too much distracting, but it's there. I can recreate it in first level; when I approach or look up up the first ladder, or when I slide on the rope right next to it, there is always one stutter.

While we are at topic of stuttering, in december I played a game called Vietnam BlackOps from 2000, it runs on Lithtech engine and DirectX 7. Every time a bomb explodes I'm experiencing framerate drops. It can be easily recreated, the first area in first level a yard is being bombarded, and it's the most unstable area in the whole game when you are playing it with dgVoodoo. Without dgVoodoo the framerate is rock solid 60 FPS.

For the record, I've been using dgVoodoo 2.54, Windows 7 SP1, R9 270x GPU, it was the same with older Crimson ReLive and new Adrenaline drivers.

Reply 3485 of 3949, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Truth Unknown wrote:

ReShade on it's own can't use the depth-buffer if Anti-Aliasing is enabled at all, something to do with how Anti-Aliasing works and where ReShade is trying to inject into or something. I can't remember where I came across this information, it was a long time ago when SweetFX and ReShade were new and people complained about it. Anyway, ReShade does work if scaling (forgot that can stop ReShade from working with depth) isn't changed and anti-aliasing disabled (in-game, driver or DgVoodoo), and it works well.

I checked again today. Anti-aliasing is off, in both the dgVoodoo settings and the general video card settings as well.
What do you mean "if scaling isn't changed"? I tried all values of scaling and the result is always the same: the game looks flat. The only thing I didn't try is to run Sentinel Returns at the original 640x480 resolution, because the HMZ-T1 does not support stereo viewing at that resolution. However, I have tried to use the iz3D driver instead of ReShade to obtain a stereoscopic view, and that also fails in the same way as ReShade: the driver is engaged, but the two views are identical, resulting in no depth.

Reply 3486 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
antrad wrote:

I'm also experiencing stuttering in Pandora Tomorrow. Not too much distracting, but it's there. I can recreate it in first level; when I approach or look up up the first ladder, or when I slide on the rope right next to it, there is always one stutter.

No problems here:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reply 3487 of 3949, by cesar300

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello:
I am new to this forum. The app dgvoodoo2 is great or at least with directx games where is working well for me. The problem is in games using glide3x.dll. Tried soldier of fortune 1 and medal of honor allied assault and the problem is strange. My display is 1920x1080 and is set with dgvoodoo2. The game keeps 800x600 to avoid crashes and a big text because at big resolutions is too small. With this setting the game screen "cuts down" misteriously. The 1/3 top of menu is in the bottom and the rest is black screen. This happens with quake 2 and quake 3 engine games (which supports glide, obviously). Any fix for future versions?
And when quitting the game in the main menu, the process doesn't kill leaving an 800x600 grey square in the screen.

Attachments

• SoF 2018-02-23 11-00-39-58.png
    Filename
    SoF 2018-02-23 11-00-39-58.png
    File size
    262.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Soldier of fortune 1 with bug. An maybe other similar games
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3488 of 3949, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would be happier if you climbed the ladder and finished the slide, and posted your dgVoodoo and system specs, maybe it would be useful. At least I learned that I could do more with MSI AfterBurner and RTSS than just limit framerate 😁 I get framerate/frametime spikes on my graphs:
https://i.imgur.com/OpHwrOm.jpg

Reply 3490 of 3949, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

There's one glitch in you graph, not a recurrent stuttering.

If you read my post that is what I described, ONE stutter in each of those places. But those are places I mentioned where I can easily recreate it, while I play the game it happens occasionally in many areas. By the time I go off that rope it would stutter total 3-4 times in just those first 50 meters.

Reply 3491 of 3949, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any hope for Revenant?

I set it up to use DGVoodoo and copied over the relevant MS libraries.

In hardware more, the game launches fine and the main menu works without any issues. However, the moment I start a new game or load one, I get this:

WtIfh4z.jpg

If I force software rendering, the game launches fine, loads ok, but once the camera moves a bit (e.g. I take a few steps with my character, or the camera moves at the beginning of a new game) it crashes with no error message.

Reply 3492 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have problem with direct3d version of funtracks (or Ignition the other name of this game). When I launched, it works with dgvoodoo watermak on but no bilinear filtering. Although in option bilinear filtering is turn on. it's like in software mode
If I use 3dfx mode, it works very well with bilinear filtering turn on.
i have tried the las wip, 2.55 and 2.54 and same problem.

Reply 3493 of 3949, by Truth Unknown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Devil Master wrote:

I checked again today. Anti-aliasing is off, in both the dgVoodoo settings and the general video card settings as well.
What do you mean "if scaling isn't changed"? I tried all values of scaling and the result is always the same: the game looks flat. The only thing I didn't try is to run Sentinel Returns at the original 640x480 resolution, because the HMZ-T1 does not support stereo viewing at that resolution. However, I have tried to use the iz3D driver instead of ReShade to obtain a stereoscopic view, and that also fails in the same way as ReShade: the driver is engaged, but the two views are identical, resulting in no depth.

I dug up a copy of the game, and I tried with nGlide as well, but the game appears to not provide depth information for ReShade to use. I'm certainly stumped and not sure where the fault is, ReShade, Wrappers or the Game.

Reply 3494 of 3949, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Devil Master wrote:

Remembering that I could play Sentinel Returns in stereoscopy with Windows XP and dgVoodoo v1.40+, I downloaded that version and attempted another strategy: dgVoodoo v1.40+ would translate Glide calls to DirectX 7, while dgVoodoo 2 would translate DirectX 7 calls to DirectX 11. However, that didn't work either, and the scene remained flat.

Dont have any computer running a 3dfx card? Easiest way for stereoscopic glide games is with metabyte's wicked3d eyescream driver and a real voodoo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010625155727/ht … +for+All+Boards

Reply 3495 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to everybody for the feedback!!

cesar300 wrote:

Hello:
I am new to this forum. The app dgvoodoo2 is great or at least with directx games where is working well for me. The problem is in games using glide3x.dll. Tried soldier of fortune 1 and medal of honor allied assault and the problem is strange. My display is 1920x1080 and is set with dgvoodoo2. The game keeps 800x600 to avoid crashes and a big text because at big resolutions is too small. With this setting the game screen "cuts down" misteriously. The 1/3 top of menu is in the bottom and the rest is black screen. This happens with quake 2 and quake 3 engine games (which supports glide, obviously). Any fix for future versions?
And when quitting the game in the main menu, the process doesn't kill leaving an 800x600 grey square in the screen.

The game might uses compressed textures through OpenGL which isn't implemented in dgVoodoo Glide. 🙁 But it's only a tip.
BTW, how to run Soldier of Fortune through Glide3? MiniGL was Glide2 IIRC, but I can't remember how to wrap OGL to Glide3. 😦 😦

Sardoc wrote:
Is there any hope for Revenant? […]
Show full quote

In hardware more, the game launches fine and the main menu works without any issues. However, the moment I start a new game or load one, I get this:

WtIfh4z.jpg

If I force software rendering, the game launches fine, loads ok, but once the camera moves a bit (e.g. I take a few steps with my character, or the camera moves at the beginning of a new game) it crashes with no error message.

Revenant should work fine now, one of the recent WIP's added a fix for that.

Splinter Cell stuttering: what version of dgVoodoo are you using?
The game can indeed stutter because of background shader recompiling but in WIP40 I quite optimized handling of DX8 shaders and SC's go like butter for me since then, with only minor stutter here and there (nVidia GTX 1060 and AMD R7 360).

Reply 3496 of 3949, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Sardoc wrote:
Is there any hope for Revenant? […]
Show full quote

WtIfh4z.jpg

Revenant should work fine now, one of the recent WIP's added a fix for that.

Weird, that's what I'm getting with WIP 43. Like I said, it does run, but the moment I load a game or start, I get that error.

Would a screenshot of my settings (both the game and the wrapper) be helpful?

EDIT: I'll try the GOG version too, see how that goes.

EDIT2: GOG version works like a charm, with hardware acceleration and enhanced lighting. No idea why my old CD version doesn't. Well, anyway, I'll just play that then! 😀

Reply 3497 of 3949, by cesar300

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Thanks to everybody for the feedback!! […]
Show full quote

Thanks to everybody for the feedback!!

cesar300 wrote:

Hello:

The game might uses compressed textures through OpenGL which isn't implemented in dgVoodoo Glide. 🙁 But it's only a tip.
BTW, how to run Soldier of Fortune through Glide3? MiniGL was Glide2 IIRC, but I can't remember how to wrap OGL to Glide3. 😦 😦

I downloaded a file named 3dfxvgl.dll from the compatibility list of nglide homepage and in the options menu you can set "3dfx opengl" and I using sofplus. This problem also happens in other games such as medal of honor allied assault using a proper file in nglide compatibility list.
And what about the grey square in the screen after quitting the game from the main menu?

Reply 3498 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cesar300 wrote:
Hello: […]
Show full quote

Hello:

I know Dege choice when he have time to new features on dgvoodoo , but i googled about the S3TC and it seems that the patient ended , and the last patient step ends very soon, in a few months .. perhaps?

but a project on Github libsquish seems to have implemented open source S3TC

Reply 3499 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Okay I got Moto Racer 1 (using GOG launcher with manual settings of: -DoRealLock -OpaqueBlackLevel3 -Pal16 -TextureSquareOnly -CorrectRatioTextures -TextureVideoMem268435456 -FrameRateMax0) to work, I had to use ATI Radeon 8500 setting in dgVoodoo.

Framerate's not as smooth as without dgVoodoo though.

I use this one, I own classic cdrom version but it might work for you too: -d3d -CorrectRatioTextures -ZBuffer -FrameRateMax60 -nodither -TextureVideoMem2097152

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"