dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby ZellSF » 2018-6-17 @ 23:06

CoolGamer wrote:ZellSF, does Full Throttle run on your computer via dgVoodoo? On my windows 7 laptop, the game EXE starts and instantly closes when I try to run it via dgVoodoo.

The game works fine without any problems when I remove dgVoodoo dlls from game folder. That's why I reported it as a bug.

Yes, it crashes here too.
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby CoolGamer » 2018-6-17 @ 23:18

OK, thanks for the clarification. We confirmed that there is a bug that prevents Full Throttle and at least 4 other Lucas Arts adventure games from working via dgVoodoo. Dege will get 5 games working by fixing a single bug. :-D
CoolGamer
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 2017-1-14 @ 17:22

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Dege » 2018-6-18 @ 07:44

Thanks for the reports, I'll check out the reported games when I'll have some time.

CoolGamer wrote:Full Throttle Version 2.0 (aka Second Issue Windows Version, 2002 CD release) does not work via dgVoodoo. It works fine natively. I attached the log file.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/full-throttle

Is there a demo for this one? All I can find is the DOS version.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Dege » 2018-6-18 @ 08:11

Logbia wrote:Hi!,

I gladly donated for this awesome project!.

Thanks!! :)
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby CoolGamer » 2018-6-18 @ 12:34

I could not find a demo for the 2002 windows version of Full Throttle. I PMd you some websites that sell the used original genuine CD.

Edit: The reissued 2002 version of "Sam and Max Hit The Road" does not work via dgVoodoo either. The game runs fine natively. It is part of the collection shown on the webpage below.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/lucasarts ... nment-pack
CoolGamer
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 2017-1-14 @ 17:22

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Jessietail » 2018-6-19 @ 21:20

I have had a problem with the latest versions of dgVoodoo where LEGO Rock Raiders freezes whenever vector graphics are drawn. LRR works fine with 2.53 aside from lighting not being very smooth, but starting with 2.54 and still present in 2.55 it's been basically unplayable.

LRR dgVectors.png
dgVoodoo 2.53 screenshot of LEGO Rock Raiders, showing examples of vector-drawn graphics

The blue drag-box being created by the mouse here, the green and yellow selection boxes around two of the Rock Raiders, and the health bars floating over the three Rock Raiders in the above image are examples of what I mean; basically, graphics not calling models or BMP files that seem to be vectors generated by the game's EXE. I used 2.53 to take this screenshot because in .54 or .55, the game freezes the frame before any of the previously-mentioned types of graphics would appear on-screen. Unfortunately, this means I basically can't do anything, since those vectors appear any time I select anything, or whenever any object takes damage and displays its health bar. This was not an issue in any versions before 2.54, so something changed that caused this to start being an issue.
Jessietail
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2018-3-27 @ 10:51

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby ZellSF » 2018-6-22 @ 15:34

Wetrix does not work fullscreen. Black screen, but sounds still play so game is running. Judging by fan sound it's taking 100% of one CPU core. It works with DXGL or natively with Windows 7 compatibility mode (which does not help dgVoodoo2). There's a demo available here: https://archive.org/details/Wetdemo
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby stranno » 2018-6-23 @ 00:24

Shooting Command crash. It is one of those ultra-obscure games from old-games.youknow. Developed and distributed by Sony Music in Adobe Shockwave, DirectX 7.

It works with DXWnd and exe compatibility to Windows 95.

Image

Image
User avatar
stranno
Newbie
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 2016-2-28 @ 19:55

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Dege » 2018-6-23 @ 09:17

Jessietail wrote:I have had a problem with the latest versions of dgVoodoo where LEGO Rock Raiders freezes whenever vector graphics are drawn. LRR works fine with 2.53 aside from lighting not being very smooth, but starting with 2.54 and still present in 2.55 it's been basically unplayable.

LRR dgVectors.png

The blue drag-box being created by the mouse here, the green and yellow selection boxes around two of the Rock Raiders, and the health bars floating over the three Rock Raiders in the above image are examples of what I mean; basically, graphics not calling models or BMP files that seem to be vectors generated by the game's EXE. I used 2.53 to take this screenshot because in .54 or .55, the game freezes the frame before any of the previously-mentioned types of graphics would appear on-screen. Unfortunately, this means I basically can't do anything, since those vectors appear any time I select anything, or whenever any object takes damage and displays its health bar. This was not an issue in any versions before 2.54, so something changed that caused this to start being an issue.

I installed the game from the CD and copied D3DRM.DLL (the version that is downloadable from my site) to the game folder then I launched the executable. Nothing happened, so it had to be some very early crash or sg like that.
Then I downloaded Lego Rock Raiders Masterpiece Edition executable (following PCGamingWiki's instructions) and replaced the original one with that. Launched the game and it worked. Are you using the same files? Or maybe an older version of D3DRM?
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Dege » 2018-6-23 @ 09:45

ZellSF wrote:Wetrix does not work fullscreen. Black screen, but sounds still play so game is running. Judging by fan sound it's taking 100% of one CPU core. It works with DXGL or natively with Windows 7 compatibility mode (which does not help dgVoodoo2). There's a demo available here: https://archive.org/details/Wetdemo

GDI rendered game. It uses DDraw to just set the display mode. The same problem as with game movies.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Dege » 2018-6-23 @ 12:41

alberthamik wrote:I'm not sure when compatibility broke, but it's been impossible to use the DirectX and Glide wrappers together with Requiem: Avenging Angel 1.3. Currently it just crashes immediately, and whenever I do get it partially working using another directx wrapper for the 3DFX version, I get weird HUD issues where everything repeatedly disappears off screen, like being wiped off to put it literally. I tested out the old WIP10 version to make sure it wasn't just me, and in that instance I had the same situation as others when that test build came out, it worked until I was in-game and then lost all input.

I haven't been able to test out the latest builds of dgVoodoo 2 to see if it can rectify the main problem I've been having, which is being able to record the game and it's menus. OBS does not like capturing this game with it's constant switching (seen by OBS as different programs essentially). I can understand this being a secondary problem at best and one that might not be as easy to solve given how the game works. It would just be nice to not have to fight with different wrappers to get this one game to behave.

In 2.55.1 I made some changes to report the correct hw id's of Banshee and Voodoo3 ('Other greater') card types. According to the game code, it only recognizes Voodoo2 as a maximum. For other hw id's it just quits at startup. Aside from this change the game works the same way as previously with earlier dgVoodoo versions.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby Jessietail » 2018-6-24 @ 08:47

Dege wrote:I installed the game from the CD and copied D3DRM.DLL (the version that is downloadable from my site) to the game folder then I launched the executable. Nothing happened, so it had to be some very early crash or sg like that.

Then I downloaded Lego Rock Raiders Masterpiece Edition executable (following PCGamingWiki's instructions) and replaced the original one with that. Launched the game and it worked. Are you using the same files? Or maybe an older version of D3DRM?


I just now tried again using the latest 2.55.2 release of dgVoodoo, and the D3DRM from your site as well (I had some 2001-dated D3DRM in there before, I don't remember where it came from), with the same settings as my 2.53 setup. I clicked on a Rock Raider in a level and the result was the same: the game still functions and I can still click on things, but the display stays frozen on the frame where the vector appeared until the game is terminated.

I used my original EXE from the 2004/05 SelectSoft release of the game (IB2G-ROC5.2, 719kb EXE modified 1999/09/25 5:45 PM). I tried again with the Masterpiece EXE from PCGW (720kb modified 1999/09/27 12:42 PM) and the result was basically identical. I'm using a GTX 1060 GPU if that might be affecting anything.
Jessietail
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2018-3-27 @ 10:51

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby ZellSF » 2018-6-24 @ 13:00

Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:Wetrix does not work fullscreen. Black screen, but sounds still play so game is running. Judging by fan sound it's taking 100% of one CPU core. It works with DXGL or natively with Windows 7 compatibility mode (which does not help dgVoodoo2). There's a demo available here: https://archive.org/details/Wetdemo

GDI rendered game. It uses DDraw to just set the display mode. The same problem as with game movies.

Yeah I sort of suspected as much. Thought I'd mention it anyway.
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby ZellSF » 2018-6-24 @ 14:27

Not that anyone cares, but you forgot to update the version string in the "About dgVoodoo" window for 2.55.2.
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby DosFreak » 2018-6-25 @ 14:25

Saw this today:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/20 ... -2018.html

VMware Workstation Tech Preview
DirectX 10.1 – We are excited to introduce DirectX 10.1 support with Workstation 2018 Tech Preview. DX10.1 introduces several subtle differences over 10.0

DirectX 10.1 delivers the following graphics improvements:

Full MSAA (Multisample anti-aliasing) support
Shader Model 4.1 support
Cubemap array support
This enhancement allows users to run games that require DirectX 10.1, and improves performance for DX10.0 games and apps. Test it out and let us know how what you think about the graphics quality and performance.

This feature is for both Windows and Linux hosts
User avatar
DosFreak
l33t++
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: 2002-6-30 @ 16:35
Location: Your Head

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby batterymandark » 2018-6-25 @ 17:19

DosFreak wrote:Saw this today:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/20 ... -2018.html

VMware Workstation Tech Preview
DirectX 10.1 – We are excited to introduce DirectX 10.1 support with Workstation 2018 Tech Preview. DX10.1 introduces several subtle differences over 10.0

DirectX 10.1 delivers the following graphics improvements:

Full MSAA (Multisample anti-aliasing) support
Shader Model 4.1 support
Cubemap array support
This enhancement allows users to run games that require DirectX 10.1, and improves performance for DX10.0 games and apps. Test it out and let us know how what you think about the graphics quality and performance.

This feature is for both Windows and Linux hosts


Nice VMware, but can it run... :-P ehem. So you thinking of dgvoodoo in VMware? but as far as i know, only VMware player is free.
batterymandark
Newbie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 2013-9-14 @ 08:20

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby lowenz » 2018-6-26 @ 06:07

Workstation and Player share the same architecture.
lowenz
Oldbie
 
Posts: 969
Joined: 2014-12-20 @ 01:30

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby ZellSF » 2018-6-26 @ 15:11

House of the Dead III works perfectly. Usually limited to 1280x1024 unless you feel like hex editing, needs a crack on Windows 7+. The game also works natively without dgVoodoo2.
hod3pc 2018-06-26 17-06-46-41.jpg
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby ZellSF » 2018-6-26 @ 15:27

Also a feature request to consider, can you easily add a "stretched, don't keep aspect ratio" mode for dgVoodoo2 scaling? Being able to override driver scaling even if I want stretching would be nice. For example if due to some weirdness a game doesn't support 16:9, but "close enough" that stretching isn't too harmful to aspect ratio.

Of course it's pretty easy for me to just change driver settings whenever that happens and in many cases forcing resolution would work. So it's pretty much a "if it's only a few minutes of work" feature request.
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby batterymandark » 2018-6-26 @ 17:57

I also have a feature request : Add a internal wrapper resolution scaler, with and array of 2x 3x 4x, based on your monitor resolution and not only the game, with aspect ratio input
so abnormal resolution would be calculated, instead of firing up virtual dub to calculate and aspect ratio based on your vertical resolution.

I can give you an example, I was trying out Soul Raver, on my intel integrated GPU, but its run on VGA so max resolution is 1080p.
So what I did whas to select from the game a 16:10 resolution, 1280x800. "Gives better text and 2d resolution"
Then in CPL I entered 3456x2160 which is 2x the VGA resolution but in 16:10 , since the game support 16:10 normaly a.k.a 320x200 , 640x400 etc etc.
And finally Stretched , Keep aspect ratio, since that will shrink down the image again to a 1080p VGA image, but the image would be like NVIDIA's DSR.
I could hardly tell that my monitor was running below my native resolution since the image got so clean.


Also, how hard would it be to add a feature in dgvoodoo where you could pass to real directX but keep the wrapper scaler intact. So you only did resolution scaling.
batterymandark
Newbie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 2013-9-14 @ 08:20

PreviousNext

Return to dgVoodoo General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: knowledge [bot] and 1 guest