dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Postby daniel_u » 2018-10-16 @ 14:47

Myloch wrote:
DosFreak wrote:Anyone have an issue with starting a new thread with the next release?

This. And please use separate topics for game specific issues, I'm sick of seeing tons of posts about Splinter cell series lighting issues. :angry:

You sir, are a hater.
daniel_u

Postby Dege » 2018-10-16 @ 17:40

daniel_u wrote:
Although D3D9 is good news i've would loved SCPT ligting issue to be workedaround. :) Also for other DX6-8 titles before moving on. (modding teritory here)
I really love your work but i fear extending support for D3D9 might break other things. Are there that many games that need D3D9 support? From what i know compatibility is still good for Direct X 9 titles.

Another question i have what are your plans for the future? Direct 9 b & c ?

Cheers.

Yes, it's a separate dll so it shouldn't break others. Main reason of dgVoodoo D3D9 is that I wanted to expose D3D8.1-level through D3D9 once most of the needed code was already implemented.
And I wanted to do the code refactoring before doing any development on it. So, D3D9 b & c is not a priority for now.
BTW, SC3 is complete crap for me natively, no matter what shader model I set. So, now it's useful for me if not others. :D :D

ZellSF wrote:I don't think there's any way to reliably tell which games are SM1.x from system requirements, is there? I don't think there's even any reliable way to tell if you actually have the game?
I think either the game/app itself or dgVoodoo's debug layer will tell it.

DosFreak wrote:Anyone have an issue with starting a new thread with the next release?

Yes, this thread got way too long now. I don't mind if it's about to be closed. However there still would be nice to have a (new) general thread for general talk and short questions.
Dege
Oldbie

Postby daniel_u » 2018-10-16 @ 18:38

Dege wrote:Main reason of dgVoodoo D3D9 is that I wanted to expose D3D8.1-level through D3D9 once most of the needed code was already implemented.

So to understand this better:
D3D8.dll will go into the game folder. From there it will go through d3d11 or d3d9 depending what i select in the main page config combo right? Not sure i get it.
The same for D3d9.dll . Depending what i select will go through dx10 or dx 11, right?

Related to SC3 there are 2 option in game that i always wanted checked. HDR and AA. Once one is checked then the other will be set off. This was a limitation back in the day due to hardware.
Do you think that we can trick the game to be both on? :)

@Lowenz what was the problem with FarCry 1? From what i know there was an issue with reflection in the water of the terain/forest/mountains. Is this still happening?

I will install these again and give them a go. By the way, checked the latest WIP . I dont see a d3d9.dll file. Did i looked into another WIP,lol? Do i need to rename d3d8 file?

Edit: SC 3 AA and HDR options is for SM 3.0 not 1.1. Guess this will have to wait.:)
Edit2: FC1 is Dx9.0b. So what now?
daniel_u

Postby lowenz » 2018-10-16 @ 19:51

Far Cry 1 problem has been solved with this -> https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/Sile ... y/releases

but we can test dege's dll too!
lowenz
Oldbie

Postby daniel_u » 2018-10-16 @ 20:50

lowenz wrote:Far Cry 1 problem has been solved with this -> https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/Sile ... y/releases

but we can test dege's dll too!

Cool. Thanks. This ,the widescreen patch from AG 13 and 4k all max makes the game Unreal. :)
daniel_u

Postby lowenz » 2018-10-16 @ 23:19

Yeah, you can CHAIN the patches (SilentPatchFarCry.asi is compatible with 13AG widescreen fix, just put "SilentPatchFarCry.asi" in the bin32/64 folder along 13AG fix) and you got the landmass reflections and the working VSync back :)
lowenz
Oldbie

Postby dondiego » 2018-10-16 @ 23:40

In the end i managed to run ZDoom with DXGL, dgVoodoo 2 didn't work.
dondiego

Postby Dege » 2018-10-17 @ 12:19

dondiego wrote:I've tried the latest version (2.55.4) with ZDoom 1.23b33 and it doesn't work. I get a "DirectDraw returned no display modes" error. Same with WineD3D for windows. I'm on Windows 8.1 32 bits.
https://zdoom.org/files/123beta33.zip

How can I install it? If I just launch it then I get an error message about missing .wad file.
Dege
Oldbie

Postby UCyborg » 2018-10-17 @ 12:46

http://www.pc-freak.net/files/doom-wad-files/Doom1.WAD

Edit: ZDoom 1.23 Beta 33 works on my end (Windows 10 1803), the only issue I noticed with dgVoodoo is switching from fullscreen to windowed mode results in the blackness. Doesn't work bad natively neither (at least if you avoid alt-tabbing), just have to disable maximized windowed mode to get rid of the borders. Windows 8.x systems also have issue with bad performance unless this is disabled.
UCyborg

Postby brad86 » 2018-10-19 @ 11:57

Blade Runner crashes on the last few versions of the wrapper.

I use it in conjunction with the modern fix for the gamer and it has never failed until recent versions.
brad86

Postby Deffnator » 2018-10-20 @ 22:14

SO i've been testing the Fighters Trilogy by Jane's with the latest DGvoodoo2 and FA database patches
http://jkpeterson.net/fa/index.php

-USNF'97 works fine but it has slow cursor menus, the game runs well too, but a bit fast in missions.

-Advanced Tactical Fighters GOLD Works fine too, same errors as above but the game speed is great!, using the Patch 2

-Jane's Fighters Anthology, as i Said it Before, its plagued with black screen menus that goes away if you move the mouse all over the screen, and the game flickers with black stripes during missions, DgVoodoo2 Enables Compatibility with Stream and Origin Overlay, something that the 2 above doesn't.

all 3 games uses the same engine, but only FA has this problem
Deffnator

Postby V15UAL K3YS » 2018-10-28 @ 18:04

Just dropping in to say that Hydro Thunder works amazingly with dgVoodoo 2. Now I can run the game at max resolution instead of 640x480 resolution.
V15UAL K3YS

Postby Mechanist » 2018-10-28 @ 20:42

Hi!

UCyborg wrote:There's this guy over on Arokh's Lair forums that made an automated installer for Drakan that updates it with unofficial patch and a bunch of player created levels.

That would be me :happy:

UCyborg wrote:(...) So it has an option to install dgVoodoo, but apparently the installer's target audience tends to choose not to install it. Maybe they would if he didn't describe dgVoodoo just as a fancy way to get anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

To be fair, my Drakan patch installer suggests dgVoodoo as the recommended, default option, if only the operating system supports it (and most do).

Also, it does wonders for the Level Editor's 3D View - with dgVoodoo, it's A LOT more stable, and when the 3D View crashes, it doesn't tend to also crash the Editor.

So there's no disputing that dgVoodoo is a great piece of software.
However, based on my in-game experiences (both direct ones, as well as from what the patch users have been reporting), it's at best a flawed gem.

As things stand right now, dgVoodoo is included in my Drakan patch as a sort of compromise:
On one hand, using dgVoodoo in Drakan does not come without some disadvantages (more about that below).
On the other hand, the target audience of my patch is largely computer-challenged and tends to be unwilling and/or unable to adjust their graphics card settings for best results; so using dgVoodoo is a huge boon from a deployment standpoint.

Unfortunately, I can't even begin to count the number of times I've been asked to help users disable dgVoodoo after they have installed it together with the patch (by default).
Usually it was either due to performance issues, or because of outright incompatibility with the user's hardware (eg. some integrated graphics adapters - resulting in the dreaded "couldn't find any 3D accelerator devices!" message).
Note that some time earlier, a bunch of the dgVoodoo disabling requests were also happening in part due to my carelessness in deploying the patch with anisotropic filtering enabled by default, causing blurry text - but that's been fixed since then.

In particular, at least one user who was running the patch on Linux (which is not officially supported by my patch!) reported severe performance issues when dgVoodoo was enabled; disabling it restored normal levels of performance.
Unfortunately I was unable to do anything else in that particular case - as I have effectively zero experience with Linux, as well as no machines running Linux to test the patch on.

UCyborg wrote:Personally, I see no point in spending too much time ensuring native compatibility. dgVoodoo is a great piece of software and not using it with old games with modern graphics cards is just plain ignorance. Some tricks just don't work as advertised anymore natively and there are other advantages to using it.

Believe it or not - but at least on my hardware and OS (Win7), running natively (without dgVoodoo) yields both the best performance and the best visual appearance; the issues with lens flare effects notwithstanding.

I would absolutely love to be able to just deploy dgVoodoo en masse with my patch, and have it work reliably for everyone.
Sadly, it doesn't look like we're there quite yet.

Running natively has its own issues - but at least it can be counted on to work reliably, each time, every time.
At least, that's the case in Windows - remember, my patch is officially unsupported on Linux. I have put some information about running on Linux in the patch readme - but it's unofficial, and no support for it can be expected (nor will be given).

-------------------------------------

But enough about that for now.

The reason I'm here is to report 2 crippling bugs (?) which appear to be in (or at least, caused by) dgVoodoo when running Drakan.

The first bug happens when using large textures while FastVideoMemoryAccess is enabled:

I ran into this problem by sheer coincidence, when I was screwing around in the Drakan Level Editor.
I put some huge 2048x2048x32bpp textures on the landscape, to see what the practical limits are, performance-wise (quite relevant for the map I'm working on).
Those textures showed up perfectly fine in the 3D View window (which also uses dgVoodoo, but with FastVideoMemoryAccess disabled) - however, in-game, these textures appeared as black squares instead.

Disabling FastVideoMemoryAccess made those textures work properly.
They also work fine when running natively.

The 2nd bug occurs when using dgVoodoo with VRAM setting >128MB (don't remember if FastVideoMemoryAccess was enabled or not, unfortunately).
This works fine in-game when loading maps which don't use too many textures; but on texture-heavy maps (eg. Islands) some of the textures don't show up at all, and the affected terrain polys are completely transparent, as if lacking textures entirely.

It's effectively random which textures are affected; quitting the game and reloading the same map causes different textures to be missing.
Setting VRAM to 128MB or less "fixes" that problem - but it doesn't seem like much of a "fix" to me, more like a "cheap hack" at best.

Running natively, there's no such problem, even with 4GB of VRAM.

There's also a 3rd bug, which has nothing to do with the game itself - but it's quite rare and random; more-or-less impossible to reproduce.

Sometimes, dgVoodoo appears to be loading its settings from some unexpected location - despite there being a valid dgVoodoo.conf file next to the game .exe, it loads the default settings which includes the presence of the watermark.

I've experienced that issue myself at least once, as well as also saw another user experience it.
Sadly, I don't remember how we got out of that mess - highly likely it involved a reboot, though.

Finally... the dreaded "Lens Flare Effects" in Drakan.
It's such a mess, I've pretty much given up on them entirely at this point.
At one point, I wanted to use the LFEs to put a "sun" object in the sky of one of the maps - but I've long since abandoned that idea, since I hate the prospect of making a map feature dependent on a highly fickle and randomly broken graphical feature.
Mechanist

Postby Inqizitor » 2018-10-31 @ 18:15

Please help me. Clive Barker's Undying crashes in resolution more than 1600*1200. As example 2650*1440.
General GLVoodoo 2.55.4 settings:
Output API - Best available or D3D 11 (10.1)
Adapter to use: GTX 1070
Full screen output: default
Capture mouse - disabled.
All other settings by default.

DirectX settings:
Vram 1024 mb (no possibility to increase this value, game monitoring by RivaTunerStatisticServer shows 1300 mb of vram usage)
Fast memory access enabled (with disabled situation is the same).
All other settings by default.
Attachments
Undying.exe_181031_200326.zip
Memory dump of crash
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
error.PNG
An error screen
Inqizitor

Postby lowenz » 2018-10-31 @ 19:29

Set 128 MB for ALL Unreal Engine 1 games ;)
lowenz
Oldbie

Postby Inqizitor » 2018-11-01 @ 00:07

lowenz wrote:Set 128 MB for ALL Unreal Engine 1 games ;)

Did not help. Set 128 MB. Flies both with the Widescreen patch, and without. Up to 1600 * 1200 does not crash. In 1920 * 1080 are bit rare. B 2560 * 1440 - 100% reproducibility.
I attach a save game, simply unpack it in the slot for saves and go forward along the corridor, go down the stairs to the gallery with large windows and a ghost, at the end of the stairs - game crashes.
Attachments
4.zip
Undying save
(3.22 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by Inqizitor on 2018-11-02 @ 11:35, edited 3 times in total.
Inqizitor

Postby Stiletto » 2018-11-01 @ 22:46

Inqizitor wrote:

Не помогло. Поставил 128 мб. Вылетает как с Widescreen патчем, так и без. До 1600*1200 не вылетает. В 1920*1080 бывают но редко. В 2560*1440 - 100% воспроизводимость.
Прикрепляю сейв, просто распаковать в слот для сейвов и пройти вперед по коридору, спуститься по лестнице вниз в галерею с большими окнами и призраком, в конце лестницы - вылет.

English only, if you please... we don't have any Russian moderators. :)
"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
Stiletto
l33t

Postby Inqizitor » 2018-11-02 @ 11:34

Stiletto wrote:English only, if you please... we don't have any Russian moderators. :)
I'm sorry. I've edited a bit my previous post.
Inqizitor

Postby teleguy » 2018-11-02 @ 15:35

Inqizitor wrote:

Did not help. Set 128 MB. Flies both with the Widescreen patch, and without. Up to 1600 * 1200 does not crash. In 1920 * 1080 are bit rare. B 2560 * 1440 - 100% reproducibility.
I attach a save game, simply unpack it in the slot for saves and go forward along the corridor, go down the stairs to the gallery with large windows and a ghost, at the end of the stairs - game crashes.

Works fine for me.
teleguy

Postby ZellSF » 2018-11-02 @ 16:56

Crashes here, but also does the same natively (with this of course...) and with the Glide render running under nGlide. So probably a game engine issue and not a dgVoodoo issue.

Inqizitor: I would recommend setting the game resolution to 1280x720 and the dgVoodoo resolution in dgVoodooCpl.exe to 2560x1440. The game will then render in 2560x1440, the UI will just be a bit larger (which is better IMO).
ZellSF
Oldbie

PreviousNext

Return to dgVoodoo General