VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 441 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some brief testing.

Windows 8.1, Radeon 5770 (Catalyst 14.2)

Incoming

- distorted HUD
- fps drop down (~11 fps) after the launch, but selecting some other menu item gives ~60. The framerate is capped at 30-32 fps while playing (game "feature"?)

Gruntz

- black squares on water
- in fullscreen: broken circle under the cursor, dialog windows (like options, save & load) minimize the game

Severance: Blade of Darkness

- r3Dfx Voodoo 1-2: half of the game menu is covered in black
- D3d or D3d Voodoo 3 and Banshee: choppy framerate

Post Mortem

- intro (Microids) movie puts game into the windowed mode. It can be alt-tabbed to fullscreen, though.

Divine Divinity

- direct 3d mode: somewhat slow loading and choppy framerate

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 442 of 3949, by StrikerMan780

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Dege: Yes, Hellbender does have support for Save Games. (Not sure about the Trial version, but I think it does too.)

The issue shows up right at the beginning of the first level of the Full Version, you literally just have to turn around and look at the radars. (It also shows on your ship in third person mode as well. The curved top of the ship gets cut off by the geometry behind it. It's as if depth in the global sense is fine, but on per-object instancing, it's backwards.)

Last edited by StrikerMan780 on 2015-02-05, 15:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 443 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

ACT 5.6 says:

EmulateHeap
IgnoreAltTab

Applying these settings to the game and enabling the Windows 98/Me compatibility mode at the same time causes the game to show a black screen with the dgVoodoo logo visible after loading a level and then crash with this error:

jkcrash.jpg
Filename
jkcrash.jpg
File size
64.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

However this test was done with the Steam version as I don't own JK on GoG.

Edit: That happens only sporadically and it doesn't always show an error message.

Reply 444 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Firtasik wrote:

The framerate is capped at 30-32 fps while playing (game "feature"?)

feature. including the fullspeed menu framerate

though it ran more like 15-20 on a typical voodoo2 system back in the day. 30fps incoming is still too fast for me 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 446 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silanda wrote:

Another quick report.

Rogue Squadron: No in depth testing here but the game appears to work in D3D mode, with one snag. The launcher does not recognize D3D modes as available if dgVoodoo is used. The mode has to be selected and the dgVoodoo files added afterwards.

I was mistaken, sort of. After a quick play it seems that the game will crash after each mission. This happens in D3D or Glide mode. A little research suggests that the game generally has this problem on Windows XP and later. There's supposed to be a hex edit fix but it doesn't work properly for me unless I'm using native D3D at 640x480, and the only other solution is to use Nglide 1.02, which must have some kind of workaround. DgVoodoo will crash in both Glide or D3D mode.

This was tested on the rerelease CD version (1.3?) rather than the new GOG version.

EDIT: Correction, I now believe dgVoodoo isn't working in D3D at all with this game. I forgot that I had Nglide installed, and despite the game being set to use D3D it was using Glide instead.

Reply 447 of 3949, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silanda wrote:

This happens in D3D or Glide mode. A little research suggests that the game generally has this problem on Windows XP and later. There's supposed to be a hex edit fix but it doesn't work properly for me unless I'm using native D3D at 640x480, and the only other solution is to use Nglide 1.02, which must have some kind of workaround.

You are wrong. The glide renderer works ok with a real Voodoo2, no crash. Only d3d renderer is affected.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 448 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
Silanda wrote:

This happens in D3D or Glide mode. A little research suggests that the game generally has this problem on Windows XP and later. There's supposed to be a hex edit fix but it doesn't work properly for me unless I'm using native D3D at 640x480, and the only other solution is to use Nglide 1.02, which must have some kind of workaround.

You are wrong. The glide renderer works ok with a real Voodoo2, no crash. Only d3d renderer is affected.

Yeah, it probably did. That doesn't mean that the game isn't doing something that modern operating systems/drivers don't like. Whatever the case, it crashes dgVoodoo, it crashes Nglide 1.03, and it crashes in D3D, all at the same points.

Reply 449 of 3949, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:

Update:
I just noticed that the main game of XvT seems to work completely fine (dgvoodoo even fixes most of the issues the game has when enabling 3D mode), it's only the addon (Balance of Power) that crashes all the time.

There are even training missions that are exactly the same in both games and the mission runs without problem in XvT but crashes immediately in BoP.

Did you install dgVoodoo into the BoP folder? Remember that it lives in its own folder separate from XvT, so you'll need to put the files next to both of them

Reply 452 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any chance to run XvT without a joystick? If not then I have to get a cheap one to test it myself.

I've fixed rendering of Lands of Lore 2 for both sw and hw mode. However it always crashes when losing focus and it does that with native DX too. 🙁

It also revealed that lighting was based on a little misconcept in dgVoodoo so I've refactored that and it fixed Bridge Commander and a certain scene in Tomb Raider 4 (altough still there is a little issue with BC as for the inner display of spaceship).

Fog was disabled in DX3 for some reason. I've enabled all renderstates mentioned in the DX2 SDK so I hope it fixes Shadows of Empire.

Three other issues I've encountered:
- There are games locking the rendering buffer frequently so the fps can drop below 60. A solution similar to 'true PCI access' in Glide would be needed for such cases. This issue can be checked against by checking if fps drops more as higher resolutions are used.
- Lands of Lore 2 menu screens write directly to the primary surface all the time so some flashing occurs. Not so disturbing but a completely new rendering techinque would be needed in the emulation to fix that.
- I experienced a conflict between dgVoodoo and quartz.dll (video playing), as Teleguy also mentioned. Don't yet know its reason.

I did some tests on Hellbender (full version): right, rendering the radars are not correct, it shows polygon sort problems but I get the same with native DX. Interestingly this game does not use z-buffer in spite of there is a line 'useZFlag=1' in its config file (Hellbend.ini).

Reply 455 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Is there any chance to run XvT without a joystick? If not then I have to get a cheap one to test it myself.

Vjoy should get you past the joystick check.
http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/

There are also several applications that let you control your craft with the mouse.
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie_fighte … wrote_a_program

Reply 456 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, vJoy works!!

So, by a quick try, XvT seems to work fine for me, except:
- Flashing background with sw rendering
- Badly aligned text; don't know what to do with that, the wrapper works according to the rasterization rules of old DX (like native nVidia drivers, I got the same with it)
Did it work right with old hardware?

Reply 457 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

- Badly aligned text; don't know what to do with that, the wrapper works according to the rasterization rules of old DX (like native nVidia drivers, I got the same with it)

I do have XvT but I honestly don't remember playing it since I started using Nvidia hardware (late 2000). If the problem's the same as X-Wing Alliance's, then I'd suggest that it worked on some old hardware. On that game, the text alignment problems have been present on Nvidia hardware for at least 12 years. Both games used to work properly on my Voodoo 3, and my suspicion was always that they were designed to work well with the Voodoo D3D drivers of the time, rather than being programmed to the D3D specifications.

Reply 458 of 3949, by StrikerMan780

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

I did some tests on Hellbender (full version): right, rendering the radars are not correct, it shows polygon sort problems but I get the same with native DX. Interestingly this game does not use z-buffer in spite of there is a line 'useZFlag=1' in its config file (Hellbend.ini).

Yeah, all my dabbling in IDA seems to indicate that the value in the INI is completely ignored (as with most settings, even sound sample rate, which I had to fix via patching the EXE). Is it possible to force Z-Buffering?

Reply 459 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Thanks, vJoy works!! […]
Show full quote

Thanks, vJoy works!!

So, by a quick try, XvT seems to work fine for me, except:
- Flashing background with sw rendering

I'm using the GOG release, that probably makes a difference.

On the plus side I didn't notice anything off about the text.