VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 480 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeon HD 5770, Omega Drivers (14.12), Win 8.1

Psycho Circus runs out of the box whitout dgVoodoo. Sadly, it's slow and there's no 32-bit video modes because of patches (since Beta 1 Patch). The main menu looks fine.

With dgVoodoo... well, it's even slower. 😢

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 483 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's my KPC config.

dgVodooo settings involve

- Fullscreen scaling Stretched
- No progressive scanline order
- No enumerate refresh rates
- Keep window aspect ratio enabled
- dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated card with 64mb
- MSAA off
- Resolution 1920x1080
- Application controlled fullscreen/windowed enabled
- Disable Alt-enter enabled
- Bilinear blit stretch disabled
- Apply thong disabled
- Force vsync disabled
- dgVoodoo watermark enabled 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    autoexec.cfg
    File size
    7.61 KiB
    Downloads
    100 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 484 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

Intro movies, menus and cutscenes.

I'm unsure if you want instructions...

1: Download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … s.aspx?id=30652
2: You only want to install the Application Compatibility Toolkit part.
3: Run "Compatibility Administrator (32-bit)"
4: Expand "Applications" in the left pane, find KISS Psycho Circus The Nightmare Child and select it
5: on the right pane, right click all client.exe and psycho.exe entries and click disable entry.

Reply 486 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:

BTW, I'm going to release the current version soon. I didn't fixed all the problems I know of but I'm going to have a very few time for dgVoodoo for a while.

Take some time, you deserve it - all your hard work! Don't forget about your fans and friends here though, please keep in touch 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 487 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just another report from me:
Star Wars Episode I Racer: The game works fine with two imperfections. The sun or suns in the backgrounds of the stages are visible in front of solid objects that should be in the way. This looks like some kind of Z-buffering issue, which isn't really a surprise with this game having issues on that front. The second issue's a minor one: the Windows mouse pointer is visible on the menus. Alt-Tabbing out and back fixes this.

Reply 488 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmm

... […]
Show full quote

dgVoodoo.conf - JK GFX Fix Conf

Special thanks goes to Zeqmacaw, SM_Sith_Lord, EAH_XxHeReTiKxX, JKLE_Cougar, LSF_Nickz2000, Ogel45, EAH_Triscuit, Beefcaike, Bucky aka Player, Trank

and no dege

thought you'd like to be aware of this. and it's 2.41 too

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 489 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I downloaded it now and it says

Special thanks goes to DGVodoo, Zeqmacaw, SM_Sith_Lord, EAH_XXHERETIKXX, JKLE_Cougar, LSF_Nickz2000, Ogel45, EAH_Triscuit, Beefcaike, Bucky aka Player, Trank

I'm not sure that's an improvement (misspelling dgVoodoo, not crediting you by name).

I really don't like those all-in-one-patchers. You never know exactly what they do, and if you don't want one part of it for whatever reason you don't have a choice because the original patches are down and all the community is distributing is the all-in-one-patcher.

Reply 490 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:
I downloaded it now and it says […]
Show full quote

I downloaded it now and it says

Special thanks goes to DGVodoo, Zeqmacaw, SM_Sith_Lord, EAH_XXHERETIKXX, JKLE_Cougar, LSF_Nickz2000, Ogel45, EAH_Triscuit, Beefcaike, Bucky aka Player, Trank

I'm not sure that's an improvement (misspelling dgVoodoo, not crediting you by name).

I really don't like those all-in-one-patchers. You never know exactly what they do, and if you don't want one part of it for whatever reason you don't have a choice because the original patches are down and all the community is distributing is the all-in-one-patcher.

I agree, the creators of all-in-one patchers really should provide logs which explain exactly where they got their files and which files they edited themselves.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 491 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to release the current state, 2.42 is available.
I hope I didn't break anything, this one was a little compiled in a rush.
As I stated, there are still known issues but they are planned to be fixed in subsequent versions.

Take some time, you deserve it - all your hard work! Don't forget about your fans and friends here though, please keep in touch 😀

Thanks! The reason is the dangerously forthcoming deadline(s) at my workplace, and the fact that my brain is working more on those problems nowadays than on dgVoodoo. 😀

and no dege

thought you'd like to be aware of this. and it's 2.41 too

Yes, last time I saw that patch dgvoodoo was mentioned in the readme.
Anyway, I put a little redistribution-right section in the dgvoodoo readme to (hopefully) avoid such cases...

Reply 492 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Populous: The Beginning is still so close to perfect. Cursor transparency now works... until you cast a spell. Edit: setting single core affinity reduces how often this happens though. Might just be a bug in the game itself.

Outlaws now has working sprite transparency. Wipeout XL might, I don't know, 2.42 breaks Wipeout XL completely.

Lands of Lore II seems to run perfectly (sort of, it seems to fail to switch to 640x400, but I've never gotten that working, so that's probably not dgVoodoo's fault).

Dark Reign 2 is almost perfect now, minor UI issues (there's some 1px pink borders around dialog boxes and there's a border around the entire screen).

Reply 493 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tie Fighter 95 now properly displays intro movies and menu/concourse but crashes when entering flightmode.

tiedg.jpg
Filename
tiedg.jpg
File size
25.88 KiB
Views
File license

Software mode works fine.

XvT/BoP
Properly display intro movies now when using the game launcher.
BoP still crashes a few seconds after entering flightmode. It seems to work a bit better as previously the game only displayed a black background but now shows the starfield.

compatibility fixes disabled:

bopdg.jpg
Filename
bopdg.jpg
File size
62.06 KiB
Views
File license

compatibility fixes enabled:

bopdg2.jpg
Filename
bopdg2.jpg
File size
63.81 KiB
Views
File license

Jedi Knight still crashes because of dxgi.dll when accessing the menu with "-windowgui".
Selecting higher resolutions in software mode also still crashes the game.

Shadows of the Empire works now even with the modified FixSotE.exe however at higher resolutions the videos are displayed at the top left corner of the screen and it's not possible to reach the lower buttons in the menu with the mouse (this also applies when you run the game without dgVoodoo).

Last edited by teleguy on 2015-02-20, 22:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 495 of 3949, by BeefCaike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone! I am a little late to the conversation, but I want to firstly express my gratitude for your work on this wrapper. This has made playing Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II possible with my latest drivers for my Radeon 7970. However, I am noticing a few issues that I am hoping can be addressed. The game runs and looks fantastic up until more players join the game in MP. With each additional player, my framerates drop noticeably. I start out with 60 fps typically, and eventually after 5 or so people join, it goes down to 30 fps and becomes choppy. This is unusual since JK works exceptionally without any wrappers with AMD drivers 13.1 and older.

Some of the people listed in the ReadMe above have apparently done some additional work alongside the dgvoodoo wrapper, so I cannot explain what they've done. But JK works for me, and looks amazing! I am just looking for a solution to improve the framerates in the game. Hope we can help each other! Thanks!

Reply 496 of 3949, by ShakirBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry Dege, using dgVoodoo 2.42 on my PC crashes Midtown Madness 2 anytime a 3D object is about to be loaded. None of the configurable parameters in dgVoodooConfig and ACT fixes stop the crashes. I give up trying to get this game running optimally in Windows 8 and will just re-build a older PC. Thank you for your help.

Reply 497 of 3949, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShakirBB wrote:

I give up trying to get this game running optimally in Windows 8 and will just re-build a older PC. Thank you for your help.

A little offtopic here, I've got this game running smoothly in Windows 8 by putting Wine libraries in its main folder.

Reply 498 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wipeout XL might, I don't know, 2.42 breaks Wipeout XL completely.

I've never tested that game myself but yesterday did it. The ingame polygons are totally corrupted but menu screens works ok both with 2.41 and 2.42. I can't see much difference between the two, except that menu elements has some colorkey-transparency problems with 2.41. With 2.42, they are ok.

Dark Reign 2 is almost perfect now, minor UI issues (there's some 1px pink borders around dialog boxes and there's a border around the entire screen).

Isn't it forced MSAA? I got the same with that but it looks perfect without antialiasing. These border-like artifacts are very common with forced antialiasing.

Tie Fighter 95 now properly displays intro movies and menu/concourse but crashes when entering flightmode.

I will test that, too.

XvT/Bop: then I must install BoP to see that. According to your screenshots it crashes within D3DImm, it's my code.
However, I have no problems with JK -windowgui. It starts nice within a windowed menu screen in that case.

The game runs and looks fantastic up until more players join the game in MP. With each additional player, my framerates drop noticeably. I start out with 60 fps typically, and eventually after 5 or so people join, it goes down to 30 fps and becomes choppy.

Hmm... I never try games in multiplayer mode because configuring them for MP always looks complicated (to me).
I guess this game does not work for you with native DX, but somehow it should be seen if fps drop has something to do with dgVoodoo.
One general thing that can be checked: if fps drops less with lower resolutions than higher ones then it has a good chance that it's rendering related.
I'm not sure, but if multiplayer mode uses network communication then even a "bad" network handling with high implicit time-delaying can cause fps drop.

Sorry Dege, using dgVoodoo 2.42 on my PC crashes Midtown Madness 2 anytime a 3D object is about to be loaded.

So, it's the same as with 2.41? 😒 I'm not sure if it's a Win8 issue, or you are using an other than original version of the game, maybe?

Yesterday I fixed something and now Dungeon Keeper 2 works perfectly. Midtown Madness 1 now runs ok, too, but I cannot make it to use a hardware renderer.
D3D Dungeon Keeper 1 also starts, however the game videos looks corrupted (it's maybe the video codec, don't know) and the mouse cursor always "gets out of the" game window so it all is unusable.

Reply 499 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

Wipeout XL might, I don't know, 2.42 breaks Wipeout XL completely.

I've never tested that game myself but yesterday did it. The ingame polygons are totally corrupted but menu screens works ok both with 2.41 and 2.42. I can't see much difference between the two, except that menu elements has some colorkey-transparency problems with 2.41. With 2.42, they are ok.

I got ingame with some dgVoodoo version without the polygon corruption, maybe it wasn't 2.41, but even earlier. I'll test when I get home. Maybe it's some other setting I changed.

Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Isn't it forced MSAA? I got the same with that but it looks perfect without antialiasing. These border-like artifacts are very common with forced antialiasing.

That sounds very likely, as when I was testing Populous The Beginning I had to turn MSAA off, so it probably was on when testing Dark Reign 2 earlier.