VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 580 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

did you use the DXPrimaryEmulation ACT flag with -DisableMaxWindowedMode parameter? Because on that setup you really should not be getting near that low framerates.

No I wasn't using that. I haven't been following this Windows 8 vs DirectX 7 issue much. I didn't know it was an issue until now! But now that you mentioned it, I looked into it. I found a replacement ddraw.dll that does the same thing. 60 fps with vsync is the result.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

Now you got it 😁 😉

Reply 581 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Mech 3 1.2 (not the expansion Pirate's Moon!) has a similar problem: pressing "ESC" in game causes a CTD if - in the windows registry - the higher resolutions (1280x1024) are forced.

Fixed the issue!
For the demo, that is. Hopefully the same modifications can be applied to the full game.

Clicking on options still causes the game to crash but all the other menu items work.

Demo link:
http://www.fileplanet.com/28760/20000/fileinf … ultiplayer-Demo

Attachments

• Filename
    mech3demo.zip
    File size
    1018.29 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File comment
    patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mech3demo 2015-03-17 23-22-23-94.jpg
    Filename
    mech3demo 2015-03-17 23-22-23-94.jpg
    File size
    285.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    1600x1200
    File license

Reply 583 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:
Fixed the issue! For the demo, that is. Hopefully the same modifications can be applied to the full game. […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

Mech 3 1.2 (not the expansion Pirate's Moon!) has a similar problem: pressing "ESC" in game causes a CTD if - in the windows registry - the higher resolutions (1280x1024) are forced.

Fixed the issue!
For the demo, that is. Hopefully the same modifications can be applied to the full game.

Clicking on options still causes the game to crash but all the other menu items work.

Demo link:
http://www.fileplanet.com/28760/20000/fileinf … ultiplayer-Demo

Wow, thanks man!

Reply 585 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

You might also want to check Recoil too. Mech3 inherits code from its renderer/engine (or maybe the other way around, Recoil/MW3 had almost a simultaneous development)

That's a Glide game, right? I think the max resolution Voodoo boards of that time could do was 1024x768 in SLI mode.

In Mech3 higher resolutions are already implemented just not accessible from the graphics menu. Is the same true for Recoil? I couldn't find anything about it on Google.

Reply 586 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a new WIP version for share

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP3.zip

Some comments on that:

I've changed a lot of code including basic ones. I did a lot of testing but I'm unsure if something is broken or not.

- I introduced 'lost mode' emulation in the default DX behavior, it was needed because of some apps 'counting on' that. This emulation includes an auto-recovery mechanism for buggy DX applications.
- Introduced a new option, "Fast video memory access" for quick accessing surface data in video memory on the CPU side. The only reason for the existence of this option is that it's not 100% safe, it can cause crashes, depending on the application (e.g. it does not work with Populous and Mech3).
- I did a lot of optimizations for blitting surface data so dynamic lighting in LithTech engine shouldn't be a problem anymore.
- I did a lot of other bugfixings, including some basic ones

- Grand Prix 3: it works now. It is a really heavy-surface locker game so fast vidmem access is needed to get good ingame performance. Unfortunately I still get fps drop in1280x1024 or with rainy weather but the current fast vidmem emulation is not the final version so I'm planning to improve that further (later). (This game looks amazing with rainy weather, the environment and the cars reflecting on the wet asphalt...)
- Desperados (well, the demo at least) should work perfectly with fast vidmem access enabled.
- Shogo, Blood2 also should work perfectly
- Blade of Darkness works, but... The video at the beginning either won't play at all or can't be interrupted in any way if it is started in default DX mode emulation. The only way is enabling manual Alt-Enter and forcing the game into windowed mode. In that case the video plays and is interruptible, and you can switch to fullscreen after that manually. The reason of that all is the Quartz video decoder: it does not pump the video window message queue and relies on keyboard input through DirectInput (the connection can be lost and can never be restored). Those two facts are far enough to get in conflict with DXGI when switching to full screen mode. I was struggling a lot with that but found no solution at all. 🙁 (This game looks amazing too, I like it a lot.)
- Blade Runner: it's a DDraw only software renderer voxel game but previous versions didn't work due to a bug handling the FPU state.

As for BoP, I didn't examined it yet, sorry...
If everything is fine with this version then I'm going to release it as a new version. I don't want too much (more) change, I'm afraid of broking sg "very well".

Reply 590 of 3949, by kon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
I have a new WIP version for share […]
Show full quote

I have a new WIP version for share

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP3.zip

Some comments on that:

I've changed a lot of code including basic ones. I did a lot of testing but I'm unsure if something is broken or not.

- I introduced 'lost mode' emulation in the default DX behavior, it was needed because of some apps 'counting on' that. This emulation includes an auto-recovery mechanism for buggy DX applications.
- Introduced a new option, "Fast video memory access" for quick accessing surface data in video memory on the CPU side. The only reason for the existence of this option is that it's not 100% safe, it can cause crashes, depending on the application (e.g. it does not work with Populous and Mech3).
- I did a lot of optimizations for blitting surface data so dynamic lighting in LithTech engine shouldn't be a problem anymore.
- I did a lot of other bugfixings, including some basic ones

- Grand Prix 3: it works now. It is a really heavy-surface locker game so fast vidmem access is needed to get good ingame performance. Unfortunately I still get fps drop in1280x1024 or with rainy weather but the current fast vidmem emulation is not the final version so I'm planning to improve that further (later). (This game looks amazing with rainy weather, the environment and the cars reflecting on the wet asphalt...)
- Desperados (well, the demo at least) should work perfectly with fast vidmem access enabled.
- Shogo, Blood2 also should work perfectly
- Blade of Darkness works, but... The video at the beginning either won't play at all or can't be interrupted in any way if it is started in default DX mode emulation. The only way is enabling manual Alt-Enter and forcing the game into windowed mode. In that case the video plays and is interruptible, and you can switch to fullscreen after that manually. The reason of that all is the Quartz video decoder: it does not pump the video window message queue and relies on keyboard input through DirectInput (the connection can be lost and can never be restored). Those two facts are far enough to get in conflict with DXGI when switching to full screen mode. I was struggling a lot with that but found no solution at all. 🙁 (This game looks amazing too, I like it a lot.)
- Blade Runner: it's a DDraw only software renderer voxel game but previous versions didn't work due to a bug handling the FPU state.

As for BoP, I didn't examined it yet, sorry...
If everything is fine with this version then I'm going to release it as a new version. I don't want too much (more) change, I'm afraid of broking sg "very well".

Now Resident EVIL 2 (PC)work on voodoo mode OK 😊

But Resident Evil 1 1997(PC ) still No response after 3Dfx Splash screen

Attachments

• sshot-2.jpg
    Filename
    sshot-2.jpg
    File size
    265.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by kon on 2015-03-23, 04:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 591 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blood 2's framerate is a huge improvement here. Constant 60 with no problems, that said I'm on a mid end setup. Low end setups might struggle (as I couldn't even maintain a constant 100).

Master of Orion II works now. Suffers from cursor trails and a flickering cursor (though flickering cursor seems to be a general problem with that game...).

Retesting some games and these all seem to work now:

Grand Theft Auto 2
Heroes of Might and Magic
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
Septerra Core
The Longest Journey

Reply 593 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blood 2 is still slow here. 😢

Dege & ZellSF, what graphics cards do you use? That Blood 2 fix might not be optimized for Radeons. I don't see any improvement at all and the GPU is loaded at 24%. I have Radeon HD 5770.

I've tried it only on nVidias: a Geforce GT610 (a weak low end card), GTS450 and an GT560 Ti.
It's strange because the point of the optimization was avoiding the driver (and so the GPU) to take part in the blittings in question because it caused a lot of syncs between the CPU and GPU within a single frame. 😕 😐

I've a low-end Radeon but don't know if trying it on that makes sense. It has roughly the same power as the GT610 with which I got some performance drop here and there but even without dynamic lighting. (Ok, it's true that I tried Blood2 in 1280x1024 afair...)

What performace do you get with Shogo?

Somebody else on Radeon with Blood2? I'm curious.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had a GPU usage of 19-20% with Blood2 when I tested on the GTS450, so I think it's normal.

Now Resident EVIL 2 (PC)work on voodoo mode OK 😊

But Resident Evil 1 1997(PC ) still No response after 3Dfx Splash screen

Great, but I'm confused a little bit...
Did you try it with Glide or D3D?

I've tried Resident Evil 1 so far but as I saw, it has no Glide support but I'm not sure.
My problem with that was I could start the game only from the CD (the installer didn't copy the executable into the game folder).
Every time I tried to launch it with the executable copied manually to the game folder it simply did nothing. So, I would have to copy the wrapper dlls to the CD.

Blood 2's framerate is a huge improvement here. Constant 60 with no problems, that said I'm on a mid end setup. Low end setups m […]
Show full quote

Blood 2's framerate is a huge improvement here. Constant 60 with no problems, that said I'm on a mid end setup. Low end setups might struggle (as I couldn't even maintain a constant 100).

Master of Orion II works now. Suffers from cursor trails and a flickering cursor (though flickering cursor seems to be a general problem with that game...).

Retesting some games and these all seem to work now:

Grand Theft Auto 2
Heroes of Might and Magic
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
Septerra Core
The Longest Journey

Great news, thanks for testing!

Hell of a job, dege!

Can I propose to you (apart from dgVoodoo project) to fix shadow buffer usage in Splinter Cell 1 and 2 (Pandora Tomorrow) and become one of the greatest reverse engineering heroes of all time? 😁

Wow, thanks! 😀
Well, unfortunately developing dgVoodoo takes a lot of spare time so I can't promise anything. 😐
I don't know that game(s), is there a forum or any site dealing with the problem (symptoms)?

Edit again:

Blood II still crashes when alt-tabbing.

Could you do a crash dump somehow? It would be good to see where (in what module) Blood2 crashes for you.
Sometimes I too get a crash but it always in IMUSIC25.dll or other game dll and is not related to the wrapper.

Also, may I suggest that you add a "Framerate cap" option?

'Force vSync' should do the capping.

Reply 597 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, thanks.

So, it's a total mess...

I don't understand how you get uncapped fps on Blood2. This game uses vertical sync so the only way to have it uncapped is disabling vsync on the driver control panel otherwise it caps to 60fps (or the real monitor refresh freq, I guess).

I've just tried it on my GTX 560Ti and I got ~800 fps both with WIP2 and WIP3. I've also no idea for the moment what could break 3Dvision.
Maybe a driver thing... I upgraded to the latest driver a week or 2 ago both on my GTS450 and GTX560Ti because the old ones clearly had some bugs.

Edit: if I disable single-pass multi-texturing under advanced options, I got a bit lower fps but I don't think it's relevant.
Edit2: Or, maybe the most important thing: the operating system. I'm on Win7...

Reply 598 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

I don't know that game(s), is there a forum or any site dealing with the problem (symptoms)?

It's very simple 😁 Look at this video and you'll know 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McT32pH_2Iw

There's a discussion here on Vogons too: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (see you there if you'll join 😁)

Reply 599 of 3949, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lego Island doesn't render any 3d elements and hotspot positions appear to be slightly higher than they're supposed to. Results using d3drm.dll from DirectX 6 (same result with the one from XP), game crashes using the d3drm.dll the game comes with (directx 5).

Attachments

• lego island 2d only.png
    Filename
    lego island 2d only.png
    File size
    133.48 KiB
    Views
    File license