VOGONS

First post, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've installed Theme Park World recently, and I run it through dgVoodoo 2 so as to play it with the Steam overlay, but with dgVoodoo enabled or disabled, the textures always seem to be stuck on the low setting, even if I change them in the menus. I've also tried the 2.0 and 'fix' patch, but they both did not help.

I'm running Windows 10, my GPU is a GTX 970, 8GB DDR3 RAM, etc. Perhaps there's a dgVoodoo configuration I should use to fix this? Or..? I'm not too sure.

Funnily enough, I had this game as a child, and back then I'd never seen the game with high quality textures. I'd grown accustom to the low quality look, until I saw a screenshot portraying the game with high quality textures, and I was blown away. So, naturally I would love to enable them!

Reply 1 of 9, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed Sim Theme Park (2.0), but I cannot find a setting particularly for texture quality.
All I see is 'Graphics Quality' which can be set to high. I didn't checked if it affects texture quality though.

TP_2017_01_15_11_28_58_52.jpg

Reply 2 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set VRAM in dgVoodoo2 to 8 MB, it's not in the combo box, but you can just type it in. I got all sorts of weird behavior with 16 MB or higher values, including forced lower resolution textures.

There's also some graphic settings you can tweak by editing data\high.sam with notepad and you can set a higher resolution by renaming data\_Resolution.sam to data\Resolution.sam and editing that. dgVoodoo2's resolution forcing and antialiasing works, but you won't get higher resolution text if you force the resolution with dgkVoodoo2 only.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    Filename
    screenshot.jpg
    File size
    798.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested this on my Windows 7 computer too. I thought it would be the same, but texture quality for the procedural generated textures (the grass) was terrible. This I fixed by using the GlobalMemoryStatus2GB fix from Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit.

Since my Windows 7 computer runs a 2560x1440 display, which is a terrible fit for any of the game's available resolutions and there's basically no good resolutions for integer scaling with dgVoodoo2's resolution scaling either... I experimented a bit with a hex editor and what do you know, it can run any resolution, widescreen included:

2560.jpg
Filename
2560.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

Game view is extended horizontally, text is scaled properly, but UI elements are stretched. I'm running at 1280x720, with dgVoodoo2 forcing 3D rendering to 2560x1440. Looks fantastic. Here's a generic hex editing guide: http://www.wsgf.org/article/hex-editing-tutor … mcity-4-example. I searched tp.exe for the values for 1600 and 1200. I might create an UniWS patch later.

Reply 5 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

uniWS patch for people who hate hex editing. Tried making an uniWS patch for 640x480 so you don't have to mess with _Resolution.sam , but the game does something different with its fonts for selectable resolutions than extra resolutions in _Resolution.sam.

Edit: actually doesn't work so well, displaces mouse horizontally the further it is away from screen.

Attachments

• Filename
    themeparkws.zip
    File size
    297.41 KiB
    Downloads
    594 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 9, by geoff312

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

uniWS patch for people who hate hex editing. Tried making an uniWS patch for 640x480 so you don't have to mess with _Resolution.sam , but the game does something different with its fonts for selectable resolutions than extra resolutions in _Resolution.sam.

Edit: actually doesn't work so well, displaces mouse horizontally the further it is away from screen.

It works pretty well for me, thank you for this! With some Reshade post processing applied the graphics still hold up I think: https://postimg.org/image/dfqophubp/
Any chance you could make a similar widescreen patch for Theme Park Inc (SimCoaster)?

Reply 7 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really, the resolution is easy to change, but I'm not putting too much work figuring out this problem:

Game 2018-02-14 18-02-35-91.jpg
Filename
Game 2018-02-14 18-02-35-91.jpg
File size
289.11 KiB
Views
File license

If I can't fix the mouse position issue anyway 😒

Reply 8 of 9, by geoff312

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The black squares look strange, do they appear only when you zoom out really far? In that case it wouldn't be a big deal for me. I can play Theme Park world just fine with the widescreen hack it just ignores any input when the mouse is too far at the right/left edge of the screen.

Reply 9 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
geoff312 wrote:

The black squares look strange, do they appear only when you zoom out really far? In that case it wouldn't be a big deal for me. I can play Theme Park world just fine with the widescreen hack it just ignores any input when the mouse is too far at the right/left edge of the screen.

It's regardless of zoom setting, I'm guessing there's a separate field of view value somewhere but I couldn't find it easily (and again, not investing much time if I can't figure out the mouse issue).