dgVoodoo Splinter Cell Games

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 232, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Bad?

Yup (Mission "DEFENSE MINISTRY" Part 2 - Find and access Nikoladze's computer)
BTW I forgot to mention that in this place shadows are flickering

Here https://i.imgur.com/32cllHZ.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/VmuEFTd.jpg (found a video with the same shadow "bug" https://youtu.be/x0T3lCoL6lQ?t=13m15s)
For comparison https://youtu.be/JriSe12tzd8?t=1h10m48s

Reply 61 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure what the problem is. Forget about the wiki. Leave everything default for starters. Change settings in dgvoodoo only. (set 4800 preset and more than 256 ram. high resolutions need more ram)
If shadows are not there use ForceShadowMode in the game's config.

Flickering happens especially on low resolutions. This is known.

The only difference i see is that one is using 5700 preset(soft light) + projector shadows and the other is using 4800 /xbox preset + default shadows.
There is a big difference is modes. Some shadows that are in one may not be in another. Different rendering paths.

Reply 62 of 232, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
Not sure what the problem is. Forget about the wiki. Leave everything default for starters. Change settings in dgvoodoo only. (s […]
Show full quote

Not sure what the problem is. Forget about the wiki. Leave everything default for starters. Change settings in dgvoodoo only. (set 4800 preset and more than 256 ram. high resolutions need more ram)

The only difference i see is that one is using 5700 preset(soft light) + projector shadows and the other is using 4800 /xbox preset + default shadows.
There is a big difference is modes. Some shadows that are in one may not be in another. Different rendering paths.

I tried all resolutions (from 640x480 to 1280x1024) + ;ForceShadowMode=1 in SplinterCell.ini, no difference, same buggy shadows on the same area in DEFENSE MINISTRY (No probs with tutorial mission, just showing you that I tried 4800 and 5700 videocards in dgvoodoo2)

EbO1Ldf.png pClKv6H.png

OpnLNhl.png d7EDcQY.png

Reply 63 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's your card and driver? What ouput do you have selected? Direct X 11 or 10?
What dgVoodoo version do you use?

Will have a go at this but i dont remember an issue there.

mannyca05 wrote:
I tried all resolutions (from 640x480 to 1280x1024) + ;ForceShadowMode=1 in SplinterCell.ini, no difference, same buggy shadows […]
Show full quote
daniel_u wrote:
Not sure what the problem is. Forget about the wiki. Leave everything default for starters. Change settings in dgvoodoo only. (s […]
Show full quote

I tried all resolutions (from 640x480 to 1280x1024) + ;ForceShadowMode=1 in SplinterCell.ini, no difference, same buggy shadows on the same area in DEFENSE MINISTRY (No probs with tutorial mission, just showing you that I tried 4800 and 5700 videocards in dgvoodoo2)

EbO1Ldf.png pClKv6H.png

OpnLNhl.png d7EDcQY.png

Reply 64 of 232, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:

What's your card and driver? What ouput do you have selected? Direct X 11 or 10?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, Drivers: 387.92
dgVoodoo v2.54

uRpNjvf.png

Reply 65 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm the issue. I've tried with the latest WIP and you with 2.54. So yes this is an issue.
Do you have any more areas with issues? 😀 Here how it looks on my GF4 Ti.
93mAajO.png

mannyca05 wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, Drivers: 387.92
dgVoodoo v2.54

Reply 66 of 232, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:

I can confirm the issue. I've tried with the latest WIP and you with 2.54. So yes this is an issue.
Do you have any more areas with issues? 😀 Here how it looks on my GF4 Ti.

Right now I'm on a mission "CIA HQ" - Part 3 - Tap Dougherty's computer, so far so good. Haven't seen any bugs\glitches with the shadows (except DEFENSE MINISTRY 😀 ) There's a problem with the floor inside CIA HQ, but I guess that's Ubi's fault 😀 https://youtu.be/nB9BTbtNyDw?t=9m8s

Reply 69 of 232, by gameragodzilla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moved my post here from the general dgVoodoo2 thread.

I've decided to use dgVoodoo2 for Pandora Tomorrow again after using Komat's fix for so long, and I noticed this weird visual bug here. In LAX, the lighting in dgVoodoo2 are perfectly circular, whereas the Xbox version, PS3 version, and PC version with Komat's fix are blurrier, as it's supposed to be due to being lighting. I attached a comparison picture for what I'm talking about.

I also ran into the Splinter Cell 1 minimizing itself with dgVoodoo2 v2.54 and the Fall Creator's Update that people were talking about, but the latest WIP build seems to have fixed it.

Attachments

• 20171204114238_1.jpg
    Filename
    20171204114238_1.jpg
    File size
    740.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20171204114147_1.jpg
    Filename
    20171204114147_1.jpg
    File size
    721.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 71 of 232, by gameragodzilla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

LAX?

Los Angeles Airport. It's the last level in the game where you have to stop the bad guys from releasing a smallpox bomb.

The problem might be elsewhere as well, I was just on the LAX level of my current playthrough when I installed dgVoodoo2.

Reply 74 of 232, by Arko86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Copied from WIP DgVoodoo thread:

"Hello Dege,

What's going on here? This happened with previous versions of the wrapper as well. I'm guessing it's a game engine problem (depending on the FOV), right?

Any Splinter Cell enthusiast to shine a light on this?

https://streamable.com/pd8e8

Also does anyone know if this game (and the trilogy) support vibration for Wired/Wireless X360 controllers? I tried dinput driver from a Japanese developer but I couldn't get any force feedback. I'm playing the game on Xbox 360 with BC (modded the resolution via HEX editor) even though the DoF and other screen effects are good, the 20 fps gameplay kills my eyes."

"Hey thanks, I know about that thread but somehow I am not sure if it's a FoV issue. The shadow disappears when I get closer, same thing doesn't ahppen on the OG Xbox.

I'll carry my messages there anyway."

Reply 75 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. It's a game engine problem. Shadows comes and goes away with mouse move on PC. Tested with GF 4 TI 4600. Same issue.
There are more instances of this problem through the game but you need to really look for them. Same for SCPT but ,there are more obvious.
I guess that these problems are fixable but we dont have modder/developer just for this game. A true fan and dev. 😀 We might never have. We're lucky Dege restored the game as we remebered as kids.

Xbox is the best implementation of the game.You'll want that for full effects and shadows. Stick with PC for hi res.

Vibrations for OG xbox and Xbox 360 are there. For PC i dont know.

Reply 76 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's an engine thing. The engine (or the game itself by using the engine) tries to figure out if the shadow is visible or not. It sometimes fails.
I saw the same when debugged the shiny floor bug. Depending on the shadow visibility, the game takes different renderpaths and that's why the shiny floor depends on the view angle.

Reply 77 of 232, by Arko86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you both for your answers.

I was having a similar problem with Skyrim (+more shadows mod) whenever I turned my head the shadows were disappearing in front of my eyes, 🤣. However, since this game has so many shadow problems on PC (and the same place is working fine on OG XB) I thought it could be due to DgVoodo implementation.

Happy to hear that it's not 😀

@Daniel, I'm on the X360 hacked BC, I hex edited the exe to have 16:9 and other than the frame rate, I'm fine with it. However, the PC game, regardless of what I have tried, doesn't have force feedback for Xbox One S ( Bluetooth) and 360 (both wired and wireless) controllers. I also have a DS4 (Dinput) but the game refuses to rumble.

Perhaps someone with a PS2 (to USB) controller can shine a light on this.

Last edited by Arko86 on 2018-05-10, 20:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 78 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Yes, it's an engine thing. The engine (or the game itself by using the engine) tries to figure out if the shadow is visible or not. It sometimes fails.
I saw the same when debugged the shiny floor bug. Depending on the shadow visibility, the game takes different renderpaths and that's why the shiny floor depends on the view angle.

Somehow shiny bug doesnt happen on GF4,Geforce FX 5200(i think) only. So i'm thinking that this is maybe of two things:
Drivers. I tried drivers from 20.xx to 90.xx latest. It doenst happen.
The card itself .

So either emulation is missing something , likely a hack or the card has a special feature used by the game.

Questions:
How much DgVooDoo wrapper emulate a real GF4? I'm thinking that the game might look at some other things. Example : Device Id , Device name, device properties & capabilities etc.
Another way is to debug the game in a real enviroment. Windows Xp+GF4 Ti +driver.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you debug? Is it a live debug or an (assembler) dump. Shaders or other stuff?

I might run it for you on my old machine. Who knows what might pop up.

Reply 79 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:
Dege wrote:
Questions: How much DgVooDoo wrapper emulate a real GF4? I'm thinking that the game might look at some other things. Example : […]
Show full quote

Questions:
How much DgVooDoo wrapper emulate a real GF4? I'm thinking that the game might look at some other things. Example : Device Id , Device name, device properties & capabilities etc.
Another way is to debug the game in a real enviroment. Windows Xp+GF4 Ti +driver.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you debug? Is it a live debug or an (assembler) dump. Shaders or other stuff?

I might run it for you on my old machine. Who knows what might pop up.

Emulation of GF4 is of course not chip-level. dgVoodoo exposes device caps, texture formats, device ID, etc. specific to GF4 and also simulates some chip-specific behavior like sampling depth-textures.
As for debugging, it's live. I can visually debug Draw-calls step by step for frames and see the current corresponding internal state of D3D.
Unfortunately it cannot be done with native DX because visual debugging needs dgVoodoo itself.

Shiny floor is because the game sets up the pixel pipeline with a config producing shiny floor. Old GF4 (driver or chip?) misinterpreted the config so the bug didn't get revealed back then.