VOGONS

dgVoodoo Splinter Cell Games

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Emulation of GF4 is of course not chip-level. dgVoodoo exposes device caps, texture formats, device ID, etc. specific to GF4 and […]
Show full quote
daniel_u wrote:
Dege wrote:
Questions: How much DgVooDoo wrapper emulate a real GF4? I'm thinking that the game might look at some other things. Example : […]
Show full quote

Questions:
How much DgVooDoo wrapper emulate a real GF4? I'm thinking that the game might look at some other things. Example : Device Id , Device name, device properties & capabilities etc.
Another way is to debug the game in a real enviroment. Windows Xp+GF4 Ti +driver.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you debug? Is it a live debug or an (assembler) dump. Shaders or other stuff?

I might run it for you on my old machine. Who knows what might pop up.

Emulation of GF4 is of course not chip-level. dgVoodoo exposes device caps, texture formats, device ID, etc. specific to GF4 and also simulates some chip-specific behavior like sampling depth-textures.
As for debugging, it's live. I can visually debug Draw-calls step by step for frames and see the current corresponding internal state of D3D.
Unfortunately it cannot be done with native DX because visual debugging needs dgVoodoo itself.

Shiny floor is because the game sets up the pixel pipeline with a config producing shiny floor. Old GF4 (driver or chip?) misinterpreted the config so the bug didn't get revealed back then.

Thank you for the answer. That explains it.
In theory what a dev must/might do to fix this ? I'm asking this for future devs that might pick this up. 😁

Reply 81 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think one should figure out how (in what bad way) the contemporary GF driver interpreted the pipeline set for shiny floor. And if it's done then modify the game code to the correct general one, if possible at all.

Reply 82 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Off topic.

Good news SC fans it seems xbox emulation has been revived once again.
https://www.patreon.com/LukeUsher/posts
https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/Cxbx-Reloaded

Most of the Splinter cell games(as issues for now) here:
https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/game-compati … lity/issues/593
https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/game-compati … lity/issues/448
https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/game-compati … lity/issues/716

https://www.youtube.com/user/esppiral/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPBmoQF6_fYo0FgMt6pZLMQ

Now if look on the github project repository it seems they use a D3D8to9. Hmm , yes you guessed it !!!. Do you think of what i think ? Maybe they should use something more modern. 😉

Due to poor driver support for Direct3D8 on modern cards, some users may see better results when using a wrapper, such as D3D8to9

Anyway maybe i will start a new thread (not in dgvoodoo category) in the apropriate section.

Fun times.

PS: Microsft just aquired github. It will be wise if they move the sources somewhere else. Who knows what M$ will do. 😀

Reply 83 of 232, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:
I can confirm the issue. I've tried with the latest WIP and you with 2.54. So yes this is an issue. Do you have any more areas w […]
Show full quote

I can confirm the issue. I've tried with the latest WIP and you with 2.54. So yes this is an issue.
Do you have any more areas with issues? 😀 Here how it looks on my GF4 Ti.
93mAajO.png

mannyca05 wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

What's your card and driver? What ouput do you have selected? Direct X 11 or 10?
What dgVoodoo version do you use?

Will have a go at this but i dont remember an issue there.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, Drivers: 387.92
dgVoodoo v2.54

Ok, I "fixed" this. Using the quotation mark because it's not a bug in D3D8 implementation but another GF4 driver problem again. I did a slight modification in the GF4 profile to simulate that.
Now it looks the same as your screenshot from your GF4. Strange however that the xBox version looks different compared to the PC one (where there are no shadows on the doors).

daniel_u wrote:

Due to poor driver support for Direct3D8 on modern cards, some users may see better results when using a wrapper, such as D3D8to9

Anyway maybe i will start a new thread (not in dgvoodoo category) in the apropriate section.

Not only D3D8 itself is the problem for Splinter Cell (e.g. there is an incompatibility between D3D8 and 9 because of the normalized/unnormalized distances for depth-comparison sampling) but the contemporary GF4 driver the game was "coded for".

Reply 84 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great effort. Thank you.

The PC ports of SC games is mediocre at best. There are missing shadows all over the place. Sloppy work or cut down versions, for performance reasons. The game was a killer for the hardware of that time.
I did test all drivers and I am surprised that nvidia kept the code until 90.xx drivers, when they stopped support for the GF4.
But to code a game for the GF4 series is a shitty move on UBI.

The only way to play the games at their best is on the original xbox but there are several drawbacks. Low res, no AA , no AF.

Related to emulation, I can only hope the emulation scene uses your d3d8 to d3d111 implementation.(credit and approval first 😀 ) It will make a Huge difference. It will be a great progress and this is an understatement.
Right now on the xbox scene people edit the xbe file (xbox exeutable) and are changing the resolution of the game. Curios if the game will have the same problems as the PC port.

IMHO SC + dgvoodoo is the BEST you can play at the moment.

Edit: Tested latest WIP and it shows as it should. I also adjusted the first post by removing the issue from the list. Thank you.

Reply 85 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ooopps... I wrote this on another Vogon DgVoodoo thread ... but seeing how this is a Splinter Cell specific one .. here I go :

Can someone help me? I'm completely new to this forum and I know this thread isn't about one game specifically but I really need help ...

My copy of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow will not work with the widescreen patch. I did everything I possibly could, I reinstalled the game countless times, installed the widescreen fix countless times, I even manually installed Voodoo separately and put it into the folder and even got the game to run cracked because I heard it was the fault of the DRM.

I'm by no means a technical person so that might have all sounded like gibberish. If so, I am sorry. Let me just get to the point to be more clear ...

Here is the error I get every time :
History: UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (NULL None) <- UObject::StaticConstructObject <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

It probably sounds like this is unrelated, but this only happens when I use Voodoo/the D38D.ll file (I forget the name, that might be the wrong name but hopefully you get the point)

I desperately need help. If anyone can offer some thanks.

Reply 86 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AngryLittleAlchemist wrote:
Ooopps... I wrote this on another Vogon DgVoodoo thread ... but seeing how this is a Splinter Cell specific one .. here I go : […]
Show full quote

Ooopps... I wrote this on another Vogon DgVoodoo thread ... but seeing how this is a Splinter Cell specific one .. here I go :

Can someone help me? I'm completely new to this forum and I know this thread isn't about one game specifically but I really need help ...

My copy of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow will not work with the widescreen patch. I did everything I possibly could, I reinstalled the game countless times, installed the widescreen fix countless times, I even manually installed Voodoo separately and put it into the folder and even got the game to run cracked because I heard it was the fault of the DRM.

I'm by no means a technical person so that might have all sounded like gibberish. If so, I am sorry. Let me just get to the point to be more clear ...

History: UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (NULL None) <- UObject::StaticConstructObject <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

It probably sounds like this is unrelated, but this only happens when I use Voodoo/the D38D.ll file (I forget the name, that might be the wrong name but hopefully you get the point)

There can be multiple issues but lets get some things clear first. Try the following:
1.Run the game with a no cd.
2.Paste just d3d8.dll , dgvoodoo exe and config.
3.Open the exe and set the render(d3d) to GF4 Ti. No other setting for now.
4.Test the game. Dont mess with the ingame settings for now.
5.If all ok, aka the game runs and you can play, then next paste the files for the widescreen patch.
6.Now i'm not sure what wide screen files are you using.If it is ThirteenAG's widescreen patch, then just set the resolution (ResX,Y) and you're done.

Reply 87 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
There can be multiple issues but lets get some things clear first. Try the following: 1.Run the game with a no cd. 2.Paste just […]
Show full quote
Ooopps... I wrote this on another Vogon DgVoodoo thread ... but seeing how this is a Splinter Cell specific one .. here I go : […]
Show full quote

There can be multiple issues but lets get some things clear first. Try the following:
1.Run the game with a no cd.
2.Paste just d3d8.dll , dgvoodoo exe and config.
3.Open the exe and set the render(d3d) to GF4 Ti. No other setting for now.
4.Test the game. Dont mess with the ingame settings for now.
5.If all ok, aka the game runs and you can play, then next paste the files for the widescreen patch.
6.Now i'm not sure what wide screen files are you using.If it is ThirteenAG's widescreen patch, then just set the resolution (ResX,Y) and you're done.

First of all, I just really want to say ... I really appreciate you helping! I feel like a crazy man, I'm new to Splinter Cell and I've never had to deal with DgVoodoo so this board is very helpful.

So there were a few things I did. I followed your advice and at first, I thought I finally cracked the issue completely. For the first time ever, when I tried to install dgVoodoo into the Splinter cell directory, Windows was not only warning me about a possible virus (which I ignored the last few times), but actively stopping me from putting it in the folder. I had to spend like 20 minutes figuring out 4 different exceptions I had to make just to move it into the damn folder. Even though this wouldn't end up fixing my widescreen issue, I've literally never seen the Dgvoodoo logo before, so it probably was blocking elements of the software before.

I completed ALL your steps and they all worked ... until the widescreen patch. At first I thought it was because I replaced the Dgvoodoo files I just put in the directory with the ones that came with the patch(the patch is supposed to work by coming with DgVoodoo but I had heard on reddit that if Windows is giving you security issues it's better to just install your own copy of DgVoodoo's files and put it in the directory). But even when I deleted those update ones and re-added the separate dgVoodoo files, it wouldn't work.

Whenever I delete mscam32.dll, the game works (well, on startup at least). The only time I get the error is with that installed. I have the scripts folder of the widescreen patch in my folder, I could probably even replace my current Voodoo config with the one that comes with the widescreen patch(which, if you end up replying to this, I would be curious if you'd recommend doing that, or keeping my config that came with the separate dgVoodoo download). But the moment I add mscam32.dll, it fucks up. I'm guessing it's one of the most important files of the patch, because it's the biggest size and it's listed as an "application extension"

I really don't know what to do ... don't suppose you have any expertise in the thirteenag widescreen patch?

Reply 88 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really don't know what to do ... don't suppose you have any expertise in the thirteenag widescreen patch?

All you need from the widescreen files is: msacm32.dll and the scripts folder.
You can try an older versions and see if that works. I remember that some new versions may crash from various resons.

Now that you know the problem set these settings in dgvoodoo direct x tab:
Check App controled fullscreen
Check Fast video mem access
and set /input more memory in ram textbox example 3999 MB. 😀

Reply 89 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
All you need from the widescreen files is: msacm32.dll and the scripts folder. You can try an older versions and see if that wor […]
Show full quote

You can try an older versions and see if that works. I remember that some new versions may crash from various resons.

When you say to input more memory in the ram textbox, do you mean the VRAM textbox? Because that's the only RAM option I see.
In case you did mean that, it didn't work : (

Reply 90 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
All you need from the widescreen files is: msacm32.dll and the scripts folder. You can try an older versions and see if that wor […]
Show full quote

When you say to input more memory in the ram textbox, do you mean the VRAM textbox? Because that's the only RAM option I see.
In case you did mean that, it didn't work : (

Use these files(widescreen files that are working for me). If still doesnt work i cant help anymore. You may need to talk with authors of the widescreen patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/85ilb2

Reply 91 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks for your help. that didn't work, but thanks for helping!

Edit: By the way, the OG game doesn't need DgVoodoo to have good lighting effects, right? The widescreen patch is enough?

Reply 92 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit: By the way, the OG game doesn't need DgVoodoo to have good lighting effects, right? The widescreen patch is enough?

Never tried it without dgvoodoo. 😀
I dont think the widescreen patch can restore shadows back. Dgvoodoo is the best there is imho.

Reply 93 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:

I dont think the widescreen patch can restore shadows back. Dgvoodoo is the best there is imho.

🤣 ... for some reason I thought that only Pandora Tomorrow needed Dgvoodoo. Is Dgvoodoo recommended for chaos theory too? I thought that one was perfectly compatible with modern PCs with the base lighting being intact

Reply 94 of 232, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:

🤣 ... for some reason I thought that only Pandora Tomorrow needed Dgvoodoo. Is Dgvoodoo recommended for chaos theory too? I thought that one was perfectly compatible with modern PCs with the base lighting being intact

SC and SCPT from what i know.

Reply 95 of 232, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first two Ubi SC games were port overs for the PC from the Xbox. The Xbox had NV2x features which aren't available in newer GPUs. A compatibility layer like dgVoodoo allows those features to be used in modern hardware therefore not sacrificing visual quality. So, it's not necessary so much as very, very nice.

The SCCT engine has a render pathway using shader model 3.0 (think DIrect3d 9). This does everything the older style pathway can (plus more features) with more performance and slightly better quality. I don't think dgVoodoo will improve on the native renderer for this as compatibility for the newer API is much better.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 96 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I just tried doing the same thing with Splinter Cell 1. Didn't work. Oh well, I guess the widescreen fix ONLY WHEN combined with the dgVoodoo program doesn't work. Odd and sad.

Reply 99 of 232, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion Dege. I've been very sick the past few days, so I'll report back when I can on that.

I forgot to mention something and I think it might just be the thing that if fixed will make everything run. When the game wouldn't run, Windows would give me an error that said something like "D38D.ll doesn't seem to be made to run on Windows ... or" etc etc etc, something along those lines. I feel like this just might be the primary issue!