First post, by Dege
I'd like to have this thread for WIP (Work In Progress) version announcements and discussons.
To start right at once with a new one, I share a new one:
Don't expect too much, it's mainly for running 3DMark 2001 😁, but I also cite the readme:
dgVoodoo WIP only version
This version is really just a WIP, it's not even close to a release version.
Compared to 2.53, under the hood there are already tons of changes but there are
also some things/features I didn't even compile into this build because they are simply
not ready, half-baked and so unusable.
At user-level it's basically a 2.53 with some changes:
- I ditched the concept of dgVoodoo 'Setup' and renamed it to Control Panel.
After all, it's a control panel - like nVidia Control Panel or DirectX Cpl
in the DX SDK.
- Fixed some bugs I encountered - really just some, you may not even be aware of them.
- Added support for Q8W8V8U8 texture format
(3DMark 2001 SE, Nature, Pixel shader and Advanced Pixel shader test)
If I know it right, Geforce4 Ti 4800 doesn't support this format, nor
pixel shader version 1.4, so those tests won't run with that card type.
- Lower resource usage is partly included in this version
For the time being, only the usage of GPU accessible system memory.
- C64 output: well, if you are not a former C64 owner and fan, don't even try it,
I'm sure you won't like it at all. As dgVoodoo is my main hobby programming playground
these times I tried some algorhytms as part of it. It's not really a feature,
but the result of some former experimenting and can be funny for some scene demos.
- I may have broken things by changing code - testing is not easy because recently I changed
to a new machine so I have to reinstall most of my games.
I'd like to answer Daniel's question here:
Hi Dege, Nice to find out you are still commited to this project. […]
Nice to find out you are still commited to this project.
Will this refactoring bring smething new in terms of features or will help development in others areas?
Can this refactoring provide a more easy developement of features/bug fix for SC 1 & 2 games? 😀
Looking forward to the new WIP/version.
Well, yes... I think, I reached the point where I can say that I've worked more on dgVoodoo2 than dgVoodo1.
It's a strange feeling... to think about that. 😀
No, it's not about Splinter Cells. Earlier I realized that some games and things can only be fixed if some things
I thought wouldn't be needed is done after all, meaning that the implementation of DX dlls must be more compatible
with the MS ones, better co-operating between the dlls, and so on. I also want to decrease resource usage and open the
way to other new technologies that I will presumably need in real life work, so dgVoodoo is basically a good experimenting
ground for me. 😁
I think I'm going to try to fix some bugs and problems reported in the gigathread because refactoring is taking too long and somewhat boring.