VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Some revise:

I haven't try HBAO myself, but, according to browsing on the net, shouldn't it work for DX9 too (enabling it on nVidia cpl)?

With DX8 too man! (tested with Win7, 'cause you know Win10=DX8 only through Dege's masterpiece 😁 DX9 game of course *can* be HBAO+ compatible)

Reply 45 of 1111, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

About 3DMark2001 SE performance, you've already overshadowed MS 😁

yeah, performance of dgvoodoo² (default settings) is far better than default graphic card dll, this is particularly evident when using a directdraw game in win8 or later. When using graphic enhancements like antialiasing or higher output resolution, I noticed some performance drop though (partly due to potato core2 duo cpu and dx10.0 card imho)

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 46 of 1111, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dege
Feature request: when dgVoodooCpl.exe detect local dgVoodoo.conf (ie. is in same directory with dgVoodoo.conf) it uses it by default ie. something like portable mode - it will extend possibility to create easy to use patches for games with local config app.

Reply 47 of 1111, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I experienced some glitches on Morrowind GOTY GOG version with dgVoodoo WIP30 default settings. In the beginning of the game, when I was on the boat, there was flickering on character textures and house textures. Also, forcing 16:9 resolutions stretch the game (characters look fat, HUD stretches, etc).

I am also getting very low FPS (20-40).

Flickering is the most important issue. There are third party programs that supposedly fix the widescreen issues in Morrowind but it would be nice if dgVoodoo could fix it without additional tools.

Reply 49 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a new WIP. I wanted more things in this version but I ran into some time-consuming debugging and other problems, so they are deferred.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP31.zip

WIP31:

- Windows input issues caused by the wrapper are (hopefully) fixed
- Rendering transition between Glide/DDraw is fixed
- Contrast as a new color adjustment option is added
- A new DX videocard type, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra is added
* Now GeForce 4 should render light beams in Splinter Cell 1 correctly (unblurred lights with occlusion)
* But I kept the old one because I prefer that 😁 😁
* GF 5700 Ultra as an option will hopefully be feasible to provide place for new features later
- Some (regression and other) bugs in the DX D3D11 renderer are fixed
- And... something I couldn't recall now - next time I'll expand the changelog as soon as something is done or fixed 😁

I didn't fixed the Requiem-mouse problem, I'm planning to do that within the confines of fixing other primary-surface related issues.
Also, I was thinking on Gamma as a new color adjustment option but I didn't know how to design it, to avoid conflicting with application defined gamma curves. Maybe an option for DX (similar to Glide) would do that.

CoolGamer wrote:

I experienced some glitches on Morrowind GOTY GOG version with dgVoodoo WIP30 default settings. In the beginning of the game, when I was on the boat, there was flickering on character textures and house textures. Also, forcing 16:9 resolutions stretch the game (characters look fat, HUD stretches, etc).

I am also getting very low FPS (20-40).

Flickering is the most important issue. There are third party programs that supposedly fix the widescreen issues in Morrowind but it would be nice if dgVoodoo could fix it without additional tools.

I'm aware of the flickering issue, just didn't yet find the cause. 😀
AFAIR I had no speed issues though, but will check it later.
And yes, wide screen issues unfortunately can't be solved through dgVoodoo. Patching a game to widescreen requires reverse engineering the game, finding codes that are responsible for camera FOV and others, and changing them. 😖

Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
Feature request: when dgVoodooCpl.exe detect local dgVoodoo.conf (ie. is in same directory with dgVoodoo.conf) it uses it by default ie. something like portable mode - it will extend possibility to create easy to use patches for games with local config app.

The CPL has this feature. If it finds a config file in its folder then adds the folder into the list along with selecting it, by default. 😀
It was requested by VEG for his NFS3 patch.

lowenz wrote:

Unreal Gold keeps on crashing setting the VRAM over 128 MB :p (as expected)

Well, yes. It may sounds weird but I know the reason but it seems to be very hard to safely fix it. 😀

lowenz wrote:

About 3DMark2001 SE performance, you've already overshadowed MS 😁

It's great. 😎
But it may be owing to nVidia/ATI driver optimizations. I'm not sure if they put code for building GPU command list in a separate worker thread as they did for DX11. Or it's just up to MS mapping DX8 to DX10 DDI...

Reply 52 of 1111, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

I have a new WIP. I wanted more things in this version but I ran into some time-consuming debugging and other problems, so they are deferred.

You added the contrast option! Works flawless. A super thank you!

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-02-26, 22:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 54 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WIP 11 benchmarks in UT 2004 (using old UMark ONS demo)
3 runs for each configuration
i3 6300 + GeForce 1050 Ti (overclocked)

MS (Win10 64 build 1607)+Nvidia:
168.803669 fps rand[26904]
168.345491 fps rand[32041]
168.365808 fps rand[32041]

dgVoodoo2 D3D11+NVidia:
179.312558 fps rand[1909]
179.577918 fps rand[1909]
179.520171 fps rand[1909]
09][/i]

Crosire D3D9 wrapper+Nvidia (this wrapper has some Z fighting issues for the shadowmaps)
196.646226 fps rand[8620]
196.410977 fps rand[8620]
196.882057 fps rand[26904]

AND putting ReShade (LumaSharpen+FXAA) on top of dgVoodoo2:

175.039191 fps rand[1909]
174.819912 fps rand[1909]
174.721429 fps rand[1909]

Last edited by lowenz on 2017-02-26, 23:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 55 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a question.
ReShade needs the access to the Depth Buffer for MXAO and other depth-based shaders like that.
Some games do not provide the access and if they are multiplayer games is a good thing (to avoid cheats/tricks), but:
1) nowdays nobody plays old (pre)DX8 online titles at large
2) single player games too have this issue (Thief DS, Deus EX IW, etc.)

So Dege, can you do the magic (provide the access where the game originally don't) through dgVoodoo2 or not?

Reply 56 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I have a new WIP. I wanted more things in this version but I ran into some time-consuming debugging and other problems, so they […]
Show full quote

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP31.zip

WIP31:

- Windows input issues caused by the wrapper are (hopefully) fixed
- Rendering transition between Glide/DDraw is fixed
- Contrast as a new color adjustment option is added
- A new DX videocard type, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra is added
* Now GeForce 4 should render light beams in Splinter Cell 1 correctly (unblurred lights with occlusion)
* But I kept the old one because I prefer that 😁 😁
* GF 5700 Ultra as an option will hopefully be feasible to provide place for new features later
- Some (regression and other) bugs in the DX D3D11 renderer are fixed
- And... something I couldn't recall now - next time I'll expand the changelog as soon as something is done or fixed 😁

Cool. Many thanks. Intro scene in Sc1 now, looks almost the same. A die hard fan might argue here and there but i consider this fixed. Congrats. I'm very impresed by your skill.

Now i did some quick tests:
GF5700 crashes with SC1. By the way why 5700 Ultra? Why not 5950 ultra or ATI counterpart? Do we have DX 9.0c? Might want to try me some GTA 4. 😁
Is it me or the Shiny texture bug in the CIA HQ behaves a litlle different? Now, it might be me, but i see it appears first in some area of the floor and then after more movement it covers the whole floor? Usualy it was all in one go.

Smoked tested SC2 with FX5700 and 4800 preset. No issues , for now. The latest issue in the SC thread still happens. With mouse move extra detail(smoke and clouds) appears in the sky. Tested the color issue, maybe might magicaly vanish but one can only hope. 😀

Waiting for the next WIP. Thanks.

Reply 58 of 1111, by VicRattlehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somewhere between 2.53 and the latest WIP, an issue I've been having with Blade of Darkness (d3d renderer) with the framerate taking a severe hit when looking at light sources has been slightly alleviated. In 2.53, if I face the sun in the tutorial level, the game becomes literally unplayable and runs at about 1-5 frames per second. In the latest WIP, the framerate drops to 20 (it would probably be higher but vsync is enabled and I can't seem to disable it). It seems like the issue is directly related to lens flares because I tried using a different d3d renderer variant in the game's setup where lens flares would be absent and I get no such framerate hit.

EDIT: Derp, looks like the "fast video memory access" was the reason for the framerate improvement. I left it enabled some time ago and forgot all about it. No difference in framerate between 2.53 and the WIP after all. Though I did find out that using that option causes most of the textures to appear black in SWAT 3.