VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 940 of 1111, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Expack3 wrote:
The only thing I can think of is running the game to run in a window, which if the game doesn't support that, you can force usin […]
Show full quote
Daninthemix wrote:

Quick question - G-Police crashes if you task switch (so if it loses focus, when you switch back to it it crashes). Can DgVoodoo prevent that at all? Could it hide the task switch from the game, and force the game to keep running as if it had focus?

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is running the game to run in a window, which if the game doesn't support that, you can force using the dgVoodoo2 configuration program:

1. Go to the "General" tab.
  2. Under appearance, select "Windowed".

Optionally, or if the game still does not run in a window:

1. Go to the "DirectX" tab.
  2. Under "Behavior", make sure "Application-controlled fullscreen/windowed state" is unchecked.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I am forcing Windowed mode using DgVoodoo already, but the game still crashes when you switch back to it (in-game that is. On the main menu screen it doesn't).

Reply 941 of 1111, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Super Bubsy (Bubsy in: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind enhanced port for Windows 95) throws a white screen. Its probably not related to graphics at all, since it exhibits the same problem without dgVoodoo.

DXWnd does not launch the game at all. Works fine through PCEM/DOSBOX + W95, of course.

Direct3D 3.0 game? I'm not sure.

Reply 945 of 1111, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So im facing a special opportunity since my PC is dead for the rest of the month, until my bday.

i've been trying to play WC3 and other DDRAW games in my old and busted Inspiron 1545, but games like wing commander II doesnt work on it, it CTD's right after it starts, while stuff like nglide works well with other games like Wing Commander Prophecy, red baron 3d and Tachyon the fringe.

also this laptop is using Win10, and the video card is a intel WDDM1.1.

Reply 947 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Life signs from me: sorry for been inactive for a while. Amongst other things I was busy working on the new WIP:

=========================
WIP59:

- Adding shader code (DXBC) generator for DirectX modules, for fast code generating, to avoid
stuttering/freezing arising from shader compiling on the rendering thread.

The external D3DCompiler is not needed anymore but can be useful because the compiler generates
slightly better optimized code than me. 😀
You can configure dgVoodoo to
- use only its internal code generator (default)
- use internal code generator and external compiler in cooperative mode
- rely only on the external compiler (like in previous versions)

BTW, I utilized the DXBC checksum algorythm: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Tools/common-src-S … ree/master/DX10

- A new experimental option is added for GDI hooking (game movies rendered through the old AVI player lib)
I tested it only with PanzerDragon (works) and Nocturne (doesn't work). This feature is still to be developed and it's in an
initial state so don't expect it to work generally now. I started working on it but shortly after I decided to work on
the DXBC generator instead.

- Regression bugs caused by the latest refactoring are fixed
(crash in LithTech engine games with dynamic lighting enabled, crash in NFS Most Wanted 2005 and Mirror's Edge)

- Some other minor bugs I encountered are fixed

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP59.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP59_dbg.zip

Do not expect any other bugs fixed other than listed. This version is about the DXBC generator.
Now I can switch to bugfixing mode. I had to read back a lot of reports. 😀

Reply 948 of 1111, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, since you are back on bug fixing, did you check my PM post about : Avp Classic GOG won't upscale
its a long time ago I did that post, so you probably missed that

And if someone wonder way bother? .. have anyone tryed to read the in-game text when playing on a 1440p monitor 🤣

its so tiny you might forget that subtitles exist

Reply 949 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Crysis
F.E.A.R 2
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Strania - The Stella Machina

Performance boost is massive, these four are probably perfectly playable now, well except Strania's text issues.

Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3 - Uprising
Was a slideshow in WIP58, runs at constant 30 FPS (which sadly, is the highest framerate the game supports) in WIP59. Shader quality medium is the maximum supported by dgVoodoo2 though (guessing high = SM4.0? I haven't checked logs yet).

Deus Ex - Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Gives a rather unspecific error if ShaderCodeGenerating=0, still works "fine" if ShaderCodeGenerating=2.

Outrun 2006 - Coast 2 Coast
No longer stutters when loading next level. Was perfectly playable before, but less annoying now.

Supreme Commander

Menu in Sonic & All-Stars racing are badly corrupted if ShaderCodeGenerating=2. ACU warp-in Supreme Commander (start UEF mission 1) is also badly corrupted if ShaderCodeGenerating=2.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
No idea why this wasn't working for me earlier with WIP58, it does now. Massive performance difference between WIP58 and WIP59.

Reply 950 of 1111, by djc5166

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Crysis F.E.A.R 2 Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Strania - The Stella Machina Performance boost is massive, these four are probabl […]
Show full quote

Crysis
F.E.A.R 2

Performance boost is massive, these four are probably perfectly playable now, well except Strania's text issues.

Should we start keeping a db somewhere for these things? 😁

Reply 951 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batterymandark wrote:
Cool, since you are back on bug fixing, did you check my PM post about : Avp Classic GOG won't upscale its a long time ago I did […]
Show full quote

Cool, since you are back on bug fixing, did you check my PM post about : Avp Classic GOG won't upscale
its a long time ago I did that post, so you probably missed that

And if someone wonder way bother? .. have anyone tryed to read the in-game text when playing on a 1440p monitor 🤣

its so tiny you might forget that subtitles exist

I got some pm's meanwhile, but didn't yet answer them. Sorry to everbody about that, I'm going to check out the problems reported.

ZellSF wrote:

Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3 - UprisingWas a slideshow in WIP58, runs at constant 30 FPS (which sadly, is the highest framerate the game supports) in WIP59. Shader quality medium is the maximum supported by dgVoodoo2 though (guessing high = SM4.0? I haven't checked logs yet).

No, SM4.x is DX10+.
DX9 has SM3 as maximum which is completely supported by dgVoodoo, so it's weird. Must be some missing cap bit (expected by the game) not exposed from dgv DX9 or sg like that.

ZellSF wrote:
Crysis F.E.A.R 2 Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Strania - The Stella Machina […]
Show full quote

Crysis
F.E.A.R 2

Yes, that's what expected because the new DXBC generator is ultra fast compared to the compiler. I have my (previously stuttering) games running butter smooth now.
Its drawback is that it can't produce as optimized shader code as the compiler. I coded it to do optimizations on per-instruction or block basis but it cannot do whole-program optimization like a real compiler backend, except for some things. The overall difference doesn't seem to be too big though. I measured 5-8% performance loss in Far Cry and roughly nothing with some other games on my hw. But it may be worse for other gpu's.

What I'm curious about is, is this thing working on AMD's? I tested the generator on nVidia, my ancient AMD card, Intel and DXVK. There was one thing that worked nicely on all platforms except AMD: texture sampling instructions. I ran into the well-known reported problem about corrupted textures on AMD but I managed to fix it "on my AMD card".

Just for tidbit, if there is a texture sampling instruction in ps shader code like

sample r0, v1.xyzw, t0, s0

meaning 'sample texture resource t0 with sampler s0 at texture coordinates v1 and place it into r0', and if t0 texture is a 2d one then theoretically only v1.xy as texture coordinates are really needed from the v1 input vector. However, if v1.zw is undefined (because it's not declared in the shader preamble as interpolated input) then the texture sampling doesn't work correctly on AMD. I got corrupted textures because of wrong texture coordinates used for sampling.
If the texture coordinate vector is swizzled to contain only defined components like this

sample r0, v1.xyxx, t0, s0

then it works properly. At least, on my AMD card…
I'm not sure if it all is not the same problem reported multiple times so far, and the texture sampling is wrong even with fully defined address vector under certain circumstances.

One thing I forgot: the code generator is unfortunately not compatible with VorPX because vs shader input signatures are (at least, can be) different when generated by the code generator and the compiler. The compiler re-indexes vs input registers, having a continuous range starting from 0. The code generator however keeps the indices coming from the original shader. This is mostly problem for old SM1.x vertex shaders that were probably compiled from vs assembly so the author was free to choose arbitrary input register indices to use.

Reply 953 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I tested Sine Mora again, a game which only game me a black screen earlier and it suddenly was working. Confused I checked if resolution forcing and MSAA worked (resolution forcing doesn't, no idea about MSAA), it didn't and gave me the same black screen problem. Then I reset the settings to what I thought were safe defaults, no resolution forcing and no MSAA and tried again, suddenly black screen again.

Yeah apparently I thought "MSAA: Off" was a safe option, but apparently some games don't like that and needs it set to "MSAA: App driven" Among them, SkyDrift, which I thought wasn't working, but it is, sort of:

SkyDrift 2019-05-01 00-43-07-11.jpg
Filename
SkyDrift 2019-05-01 00-43-07-11.jpg
File size
510.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yeah... the trees seem to have a problem with their texture transparency.

Dragon Age: Origins works perfectly now, very high graphic detail and frame-buffer effects. It looks so good with resolution forced to 3840x2160, but sadly mouse issues make it a pretty bad experience.

Pac-Man Musem: Pac-Man Championship Edition works in WIP59 (is broken in WIP58):

PACMuseum 2019-05-01 01-05-35-80.jpg
Filename
PACMuseum 2019-05-01 01-05-35-80.jpg
File size
139.45 KiB
Views
File license

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Carrier Command: Gaea Mission
Legend of Grimrock
Raiden III
R.U.S.E
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X

Unsurprisingly still have issues.

djc5166 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Crysis F.E.A.R 2 Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Strania - The Stella Machina Performance boost is massive, these four are probabl […]
Show full quote

Crysis
F.E.A.R 2

Should we start keeping a db somewhere for these things? 😁

Compatibility databases aren't that simple to create or maintain. I know I'm too lazy to do it.

Reply 955 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Subtle bug in lightning in Dragon Age Origins. In the start of the area walk around while looking at the shields hanging on the wall and they'll occasionally get shadows they shouldn't have:

Dragon Age  Origins Screenshot 2019.05.01 - 14.45.34.59.jpg
Filename
Dragon Age Origins Screenshot 2019.05.01 - 14.45.34.59.jpg
File size
539.47 KiB
Views
File license

Native for comparison:

Dragon Age  Origins Screenshot 2019.05.01 - 14.46.07.48.jpg
Filename
Dragon Age Origins Screenshot 2019.05.01 - 14.46.07.48.jpg
File size
539.15 KiB
Views
File license

Legend of Grimrock II crashes at start, without any indication as to why in the debug log.

Reply 956 of 1111, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crashes on windows 7 x64 with Fallout New Vegas, address B57AA9 with an access violation, the code here is related to a NiRefObject (nif models).

Machine is an i4790k with a 1080ti reference card and 16GB of ram.

Perhaps it doesn't like 4GB aware patched exe's?

Also an option for 4GB of VRAM support would be great.

I have thousands of old games, I am going to test Lunicus, could never get that game to run. I think it's DirectX 6

Reply 958 of 1111, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahh thanks, I didn't know that, the documentation is pretty sparse in the readme.

Also I tested Lunicus, still CTDs. I checked in x32dbg and it seems to have an issue in lunires.dll returning a null pointer for some import.

EDIT

can finally break 100k in 3dmark01SE with my rig with it, yay.

Reply 959 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a little quickfix for WIP59:

WIP59_1:

Some quick fixes for problems I just encountered in some scene demos:

- Wrong code generated by the DXBC generator for writing depth output register in pixel shaders, fixed
(http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54565)

- Adding support for INTZ/NULL surface formats (D3D9)
- Error code returned for block-type texture/surface formats when creating them in SCRATCH pool, fixed
(http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54588)
(http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54433)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP59_1.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP59_1_dbg.zip

ZellSF wrote:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Legend of Grimrock Raiden III R.U.S.E Tom Clancy's H.A. […]
Show full quote

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Carrier Command: Gaea Mission
Legend of Grimrock
Raiden III
R.U.S.E
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X

Unsurprisingly still have issues.

Raider III now works for me with WIP59 (I checked only the first level). I don't know why.
But there is difference between the code generated by the compiler and the internal code generator, subject to debugging...