VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 961 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

Raider III now works for me with WIP59 (I checked only the first level). I don't know why.
But there is difference between the code generated by the compiler and the internal code generator, subject to debugging...

Are you saying it works as in runs, or works as in renders correctly?

If you're saying works as in renders correctly, can you send me the WIP59 config file it works with?

Reply 962 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I get it. It's the GOG build that's broken. Somehow. Everything about it seems identical to the original Asian versions of the game down to having the same compatibility problems, but apparently it's a huge difference for dgVoodoo compatibility. With an Asian copy of the game it runs great with resolution forcing and MSAA (don't force texture filtering though):

Raiden3 2019-05-03 17-37-48-16.jpg
Filename
File size
739.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Needs GeForce Ti 4800 set as virtual GPU or will have lots of graphic glitches (of a different kind than the GOG build. Also the GOG build will just crash if GeForce Ti 4800 isn't set). I'll definitely test the entire game soon.

Curious if the Type X2 version of Raiden IV (and Raiden III) will work, though that's a pain to get running at all (Type X2 is a Windows based arcade machine).

Edit: tested the first four levels and found a bit of a problem that becomes painfully apparent at level 4. When an enemy is seriously hurt it's supposed to blink orange, but with dgVoodoo it blinks black. You can test it by hurting these ships (the big ones) at the start of the first level:

Raiden3 2019-05-03 18-29-59-83.jpg
Filename
File size
69.28 KiB
Views
File license
RoyBatty wrote:

I have thousands of old games, I am going to test Lunicus, could never get that game to run. I think it's DirectX 6

Lunicus is from 1994 and predates DirectX by a year. It won't work with dgVoodoo.

Reply 963 of 1111, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I was mistaken about Lunicus, it is win32 though and it could be made to work pretty easily I think. I just don't know what the issue is, even if I had a windows 3.11/95 system running I have no idea what debugger would actually run under it that I still have to check.

Reply 964 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slightly more on Raiden 3, firing a blue laser makes the issue easier to see, and screenshotable. dgVoodoo:

dgvoodoo.jpg
Filename
dgvoodoo.jpg
File size
570.81 KiB
Views
File license

Native:

native.jpg
Filename
native.jpg
File size
64.95 KiB
Views
File license

Not orange because it's a different kind of effect, that's also wrong with dgVoodoo.

Reply 965 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disciples III: Renaissance demo still has major lightning issues (figured I would check if it was fixed since WIP54, which was last I tested it).

Half-Life 2 is starting to look extremely good. Menu is problematic (cursor issue), but being able to play the game at high resolution with readable subtitles/UI is very nice:

hl2.jpg
Filename
hl2.jpg
File size
976.8 KiB
Views
File license

Sin Episodes: Emergence fails to display mouse cursor in menus (supposed to be the standard Windows one). Resolution forcing doesn't work since the game seems to override the screen resolution anyway. AF and MSAA seems fine. Source engine.

SinEpisodes 2019-05-05 01-43-52-65.jpg
Filename
SinEpisodes 2019-05-05 01-43-52-65.jpg
File size
373.34 KiB
Views
File license

Space Giraffe works, resolution forcing is weird. Setting a lower resolution in-game is required to get a sharper picture. Improvement over native. Not a good game, just figured I test it since it was apparently in the hidden section of my Steam account.

SpaceGiraffePC 2019-05-05 16-33-44-70.jpg
Filename
SpaceGiraffePC 2019-05-05 16-33-44-70.jpg
File size
297.89 KiB
Views
File license

Typing of the Dead: Overkill black screens if anti-aliasing is turned on in-game, otherwise works. Resolution forcing might work? I mean this does not look like native 4K to me:

HOTD_NG 2019-05-05 00-30-57-30.jpg
Filename
HOTD_NG 2019-05-05 00-30-57-30.jpg
File size
707.44 KiB
Views
File license

But it also looks much sharper than if resolution is forced to 1440p (and I'm testing on a 1440p monitor).

I would say maybe it's increasing the rendering resolution before compressing it down to the size it's supposed to render at, which is 720p, but the image looks much sharper than that too. Maybe it's just the heavy post-processing and low resolutions assets that are confusing my eyes. At any rate, it looks a hell lot better than running the game natively, where anti-aliasing didn't even appear to be working when enabled.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown has some obvious issues:

XComGame 2019-05-04 00-10-53-25.jpg
Filename
XComGame 2019-05-04 00-10-53-25.jpg
File size
161.26 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by ZellSF on 2019-05-04, 23:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 966 of 1111, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
willow wrote:
So Blonde directx 9c game Firts video with anaconda logo: black screen and sound works. Second video with wizard box logo: works […]
Show full quote

So Blonde directx 9c game
Firts video with anaconda logo: black screen and sound works.
Second video with wizard box logo: works

If I try to force resolution or use scaling method: centered or stretched with keep aspect ratio, I have this error

8328b521f7c5595f927430a878bd80f8.jpg

Force aa 8x and af 16x seems works very well.

So blonde
With wip59
x86 d3d9.dll works with the game
x64 d3d9.dll doesn't work with the game (dgvoodoo2 is not detected) but maybe its because the game is not a 64bit game.

When I force resolution game launch now but there is a problem with image. It's like a zoom
mini_190505055319573573.jpg

Reply 968 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:

Old unreal with directx 9 rendering
Works well except scrolling very jaggy with dgvoodoo 2.
Forced resolution is great because UI/subtitles stay readable.

I'm testing it with an internal build of the next patch (227j).

99% perfect (and happy 21 birthday 😁 ) and good performance.

Reply 969 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Testing Sniper Ghost Warrior (Chrome Engine) -> black screen :p

This game has its flaws but it would be nice to play it with *SIMPLE* postprocessing and forced MSAA....if only dgVoodoo2 can run it :p
Probably the same behaviour for other Chrome Engine DX9 games.....

Reply 970 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You already know Mirror's Edge works but I thought I'd note how resolution forcing / MSAA works if anyone's curious: resolution forcing makes the text much prettier than the game's native 1440p/4K modes that do awful font scaling and also makes the crosshair more visible. Unfortunately, some effects glitch out slightly when resolution forced. Performance is also significantly worse than native, native I was running 4K/8xMSAA at the same framerate I was running dgVoodoo at 4K/SMAA. Still not you like need anything more than SMAA at 4K.

Probably better to run it natively than with dgVoodoo, even if dgVoodoo does run it very well.

Reply 974 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alpha Protocol seems to work perfectly. Don't force resolution, it does increase rendering resolution, but what I assume is a post-processing filter is scaling badly, the end image looks way oversharpened. Would have been nice since some UI elements do not scale properly.

Blur crashes when going to main menu, black screen instead of opening FMVs.

Divinity: Dragon Commander starting a campaign immediately reveals one rendering error:

dgvoodoo.jpg
Filename
dgvoodoo.jpg
File size
282.13 KiB
Views
File license

Supposed to look like this:

native.jpg
Filename
native.jpg
File size
257.75 KiB
Views
File license

Resolution forcing doesn't work (mouse issues), was hoping dgVoodoo could make this game work properly in 4K. Not that the game is that bad with resolutions anyway, it works fine at 3440x1920 and GeDoSaTo can be used for sharper scaling.

Split/Second doesn't render any 3D elements and crashes before going in-game, maybe because of this?

[5080] [dgVoodoo] ERROR: Direct3DTexture9 (36880370)::Init: Cannot create DDI texture.
[5080] [dgVoodoo] ERROR: Direct3DDevice9 (0F6102C8)::CreateTexture: Creating texture has failed.

Tropico 3 seems to work perfectly. Resolution forcing doesn't, which is too bad since this game has awful UI scaling.

Valkyria Chronicles crashes, I think the log said something about failing to create a 3.0 vertex shader.

Reply 975 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx for the new portion of feedback, Guys!!
I have a lot to test. 😀

ZellSF wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Awesome man!

Human Revolution too (DX9) maybe can benefit from resolution forcing for HUD and text!

Don't know if you saw, but I tested it and it doesn't work with the new shader code generator and with the old one, it's a slideshow.

I found the bug in the code generator, so the game now works the same way as with the compiler. The performance is really good.
However, the rendering is wrong. Misrendered shadows, blinking polygons in various shade of colors, right at the beginning scene from a 'new game'.
Not too obtrusive though so it can escape notice.
The problem seems to arise because of the nonstandard way(s) used for depth-only rendering in D3D9 that don't map well at all to D3D11, so dgVoodoo has to do some extra work. I hope I can fix it somehow.
Btw, this game seems to apply deferred-rendering with huge pixel shaders.

ZellSF wrote:

Half-Life 2 is starting to look extremely good. Menu is problematic (cursor issue), but being able to play the game at high resolution with readable subtitles/UI is very nice:

HL2 is working? How do you run it? I experimented with various -dxlevel options but more or less polygons are always missing. I don't really like that game.

ZellSF wrote:
Oh I get it. It's the GOG build that's broken. Somehow. Everything about it seems identical to the original Asian versions of th […]
Show full quote

Oh I get it. It's the GOG build that's broken. Somehow. Everything about it seems identical to the original Asian versions of the game down to having the same compatibility problems, but apparently it's a huge difference for dgVoodoo compatibility. With an Asian copy of the game it runs great with resolution forcing and MSAA (don't force texture filtering though):

Needs GeForce Ti 4800 set as virtual GPU or will have lots of graphic glitches (of a different kind than the GOG build. Also the GOG build will just crash if GeForce Ti 4800 isn't set). I'll definitely test the entire game soon.

Curious if the Type X2 version of Raiden IV (and Raiden III) will work, though that's a pain to get running at all (Type X2 is a Windows based arcade machine).

Edit: tested the first four levels and found a bit of a problem that becomes painfully apparent at level 4. When an enemy is seriously hurt it's supposed to blink orange, but with dgVoodoo it blinks black. You can test it by hurting these ships (the big ones) at the start of the first level:

RoyBatty wrote:

I have thousands of old games, I am going to test Lunicus, could never get that game to run. I think it's DirectX 6

Lunicus is from 1994 and predates DirectX by a year. It won't work with dgVoodoo.

Ah, I didn't know that a GOG version exists. All I experienced was imperfect rendering up to WIP58 and it suddenly worked correctly with WIP59.
Anyway, it's going to be hard to debug such special cases.

Reply 976 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

HL2 is working? How do you run it? I experimented with various -dxlevel options but more or less polygons are always missing. I don't really like that game.

Just the latest Steam version and AdapterIDType = nvidia (otherwise shadows max out at medium and Wallace Breen monitors are wrong). Of course, I didn't test extensively at all. That screenshot is how far I played. Saw nothing wrong though.

Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Raiden III

Ah, I didn't know that a GOG version exists. All I experienced was imperfect rendering up to WIP58 and it suddenly worked correctly with WIP59.
Anyway, it's going to be hard to debug such special cases.

I couldn't care less if the GOG version works, but can you look into the Asian version, the one you obviously just tried, that's almost working perfectly?

Reply 977 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

I couldn't care less if the GOG version works, but can you look into the Asian version, the one you obviously just tried, that's almost working perfectly?

One thing I don't understand: just tried the GOG version and got no rendering errors (aside from blinking colors of shot enemies, I can't yet decide if it's as expected).

ZellSF wrote:

Valkyria Chronicles crashes, I think the log said something about failing to create a 3.0 vertex shader.

Ok, fixed. The flowcontrol validator for vs_3_0 was unfinished 😊 , I'm glad this game revealed this fact.

Wastelander121 wrote:

Arkham Asylum has drawing issues when in game. Batman's cape and cowl appears to invert/flicker and the objects on the floor flicker too. Performance is really good though.

Fixed. It seems to be a cool game btw. This game is one of ones driving D3D9 API in a way that doesn't map well to D3D11.

Reply 979 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shadowgrounds has some sort of weird distracting flickering going on.

Trine works, so does Trine: Enhanced Edition, which uses the same engine as Trine 2 so guessing Trine 2 works too. Resolution forcing makes the bloom effect show up as a grid like pattern (same problem as Mirror's Edge) in Trine and it breaks everything in Trine 2.

Zeno Clash (Source engine) seems to work great. Resolution Forcing didn't work, because the game seemed to overwrite the resolution set, but I changed ChangeDisplaySettingsA to ChangeDisplaySettingsW in engine.dll and it was fine. Should probably find out the right way to cancel out that function later, but for now it works:

zenoclash 2019-05-09 16-58-35-31.jpg
Filename
zenoclash 2019-05-09 16-58-35-31.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

Same with Portal:

hl2 2019-05-09 17-24-24-57.jpg
Filename
hl2 2019-05-09 17-24-24-57.jpg
File size
623.5 KiB
Views
File license

Sadly not so easy with Sin Episodes: Emergence 🙁

Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

One thing I don't understand: just tried the GOG version and got no rendering errors (aside from blinking colors of shot enemies, I can't yet decide if it's as expected).

As expected how? You can look up videos on Youtube of all versions of Raiden III, including the PC version and in none of them is that effect supposed to be darkened.

lowenz wrote:

Also important news (for users, not as eventual reference material for Dege) is that DXVK released a stable version of 1.1: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

Haven't tested it with dgVoodoo yet.