VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 260 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Not WIP related but I tried Lands of Lore II in PCem and got the same glitches. So Lands of Lore II's Direct3D renderer is just […]
Show full quote

Not WIP related but I tried Lands of Lore II in PCem and got the same glitches. So Lands of Lore II's Direct3D renderer is just sort of bad.

Your options are dealing with the Windows version (seams in 3D rendering edges, random bugs introduced by modern CPUs), the DOS version (have to deal with messy DOSBox/Glide wrapper integration, wonky performance) or some other emulator that can emulate a Voodoo card (but then you'll be limited to 640x400 and 16-bit color).

If you select ATI Radeon as graphic card you also get some other new glitches, but they're similar to DXGL. I'm starting to think this is just another result of a flawed Direct3D renderer:

The attachment LOLG95 2017-12-03 22-07-10-34.jpg is no longer available

While setting dgVoodoo2 to GeForce gets rid of that glitch, it's not so nice with other things. GeForce:

The attachment LOLG95 2017-12-03 22-14-01-09.jpg is no longer available

Radeon:

The attachment LOLG95 2017-12-03 22-06-19-14.jpg is no longer available

As for the appearance, the only difference between GF4 and ATI8500 should be the colorkeying. GF4 cuts more from the texture than ATI8500.

I know. The DOS version seems to do something in the middle of those two though:

dosbox 2017-12-08 18-00-18-05.jpg
Filename
dosbox 2017-12-08 18-00-18-05.jpg
File size
643.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is it somehow possible to force that with dgVoodoo2?

Comparing the screenshot with the Windows version now I also realize two other things. The window version has a higher field of view and a different aspect ratio for the FMV actors. The only way to get the same aspect ratio as the DOS version is to... display 640x400 with a 1:1 PAR.

So I was wrong about the aspect ratio. It's AR corrected for a 1:1 PAR when running 640x400 in a 640x480 window. Weirdly enough only in the Direct3D render. Not the DirectDraw render. I guess it's starting to make some sort of sense to me now. The increased FOV of the Direct3D render leads to some problems with FMVs:

LOLG95 2017-12-08 18-58-25-25.jpg
Filename
LOLG95 2017-12-08 18-58-25-25.jpg
File size
752.68 KiB
Views
File license

This and Jazz Jackrabbit... can my retro games stop being widescreen? It's confusing as hell.

4:3 or 16:10 this game still has letterboxing and custom bilinear scale factors (including non-integer scales) could be useful. That could also be useful for games like Advent Rising (still doesn't have shadows btw) and MDK. Granted both of those (and Lands of Lore II) can be fixed with resolution forcing, but that's not always ideal.

Dege wrote:

But I'll re-test this game on Win10 FCU as it seems to have some other problems as well, as WaltC said too.

I haven't seen any issues in either the DOS Glide render or the Windows Direct3D render. With the DOS Glide render there was slowdown when mouse movement + vsync was used.

Of course with running dgVoodoo2 windowed and doing borderless fullscreen you get perfect results even with the DOS render. Have you thought about some way to provide that option in a more convenient way?

Also if you want to test the Windows version you should probably know this, to install it you need to copy CDDrive:\INSTALL and CDDRIVE:\SETUP\INSTALL to the same folder. Then patch the game with this (the actual patcher won't run on 64-bit Windows) finally run "LOLSETUP.exe" in the install directory and set up graphic options (they're irrelevant for the Direct3D render though).

Reply 261 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

O.D.T Escape or Die Trying works fine, the Launcher.exe will crash when enumerating resolutions without DisableDefaultResolutions.

I said earlier Wartorn had problems rendering the menu. I can't reproduce that now, but it crashes initializing the 3D render. Log attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    wartorn.LOG
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license

Reply 262 of 1111, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WIP39 - Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon has glitched shadows (or something)

With dgvoodoo2

20171212163106_1.jpg
Filename
20171212163106_1.jpg
File size
307.48 KiB
Views
File license

Without

20171212162609_1.jpg
Filename
20171212162609_1.jpg
File size
122.49 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 263 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A little improvement that I wanted to do a long time ago:

=========================
WIP40:

- Improved shader handling:
* Resource cache for reuse of D3D8 compiled shaders
* Dynamic shader compiling is moved to a background thread to avoid/minimize lags caused by this
Glide: for all compiled shaders
DirectX: for all compiled shaders that can be backed by precompiled ones
also, unneeded shader variants could be unnecessary compiled, fixed
- Slightly changed behavior of DX/DX8 window activating to avoid unwanted situations and improve compatibility in that respect
(e.g. DX8 device reset from window activating and such, like in Splinter Cell PT, Hitman 2/3, etc.)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP40.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP40_dbg.zip

I release this because I changed some deep fundamental parts of the wrapper and I think it's better to release it for testing sooner than later. 😀

Reply 265 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

Can anyone test TOCA 2?

Nevermind, it was an exe problem 😁
Solution:

Patched 4.1 version (patch here http://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=toca2p41.zip):
1. Open TC2.exe with hex editor
2. Scroll down to offset 0x7426D (row 00074260, column 0D) and change 7E to EB
3. Save TC2.exe and play!

Reply 266 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

O.D.T Escape or Die Trying works fine, the Launcher.exe will crash when enumerating resolutions without DisableDefaultResolutions.

I said earlier Wartorn had problems rendering the menu. I can't reproduce that now, but it crashes initializing the 3D render. Log attached.

Indeed. But I've just fixed it.

Reply 267 of 1111, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dege,

Since you implemented shader cache to WIP40, is it possible to implement shader dumping and replacement to dgVoodoo in the future? Maybe when the API is ready.

If I remember correctly, shader dumping and replacement was requested from reshade author but he couldn't do it because of time constraints and the way reshade software was structured/programmed.

Reply 269 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoolGamer wrote:

Dege,

Since you implemented shader cache to WIP40, is it possible to implement shader dumping and replacement to dgVoodoo in the future? Maybe when the API is ready.

If I remember correctly, shader dumping and replacement was requested from reshade author but he couldn't do it because of time constraints and the way reshade software was structured/programmed.

Uhh, I'm little bit confused here. Meaning the postprocess shaders? Or the ones used for 3D rendering?

Reply 271 of 1111, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not sure, but people wanted to dump and replace 3d rendering shaders, post-processing shaders, water shaders, reflection shader, ambient lighting etc. Can you dump and replace both 3d rendering shaders and post-processing shaders used in games?

I know that directx shader writing skill is required to understand the dumped shader and to be able to modify/enhance its code. So I won't be able to do it, but modders will be able to do it.

Reply 275 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some improvements again:

WIP41:

- DDraw incompatibilities are fixed (Wartorn, Message in a Haunted Mansion, Micro Machines v3)
- Migrating to INI format config files; now the CPL writes its own INI template instead of binary files
- Avoiding dumping unnecessary error messages (caused by internal working) in the debug layer
- Adding entries about DDraw resolution enumerating into the debug layer
- Fix for 'Best available one' output type when only WARP is available
- D3D crash fix (Honour & Freedom)
- D3D ProcessVertices incompatibility, fixed (RIM - Battle Planets)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP41.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP41_dbg.zip