WIP versions

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

Re: WIP versions

Postby Dege » 2018-2-14 @ 10:48

ZellSF wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:Tried WIP with Shadows of the Empire (for higher resolution support) and i can see only sky in first level :dead:

Works fine in WIP39. Broken in WIP40+

Actually, the game is buggy.
I added a flag in WIP41 indicating that hardware D3D devices supports 32 bit z-buffer. So, the game now chooses a 32 bit one but fills that with wrong value later, in game (the same issue like with Micro Machines 3).
Not sure what to do with it:
- Patch the game
- Or disable 32 bit z-buffers for D3D3

Very old games simply don't seem to handle 32 bit z-buffers properly. :S

Update: OK, I chose to disable 32 bit z-buffers for DirectX3/5.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: WIP versions

Postby Dege » 2018-2-15 @ 11:30

ZellSF wrote:End of Twilight
Hogs of War
Nelson Piquet's Grand Prix Evolution
S.W.I.N.E
The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games
---
All still have issues.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident's DX8 render still crashes when going to the menu. One of the game that needs DisableDefaultResolutions on some setups.

Paradise Cracked was fixed in WIP42 (broken in WIP41).
KainXVIII wrote:Tried WIP with Shadows of the Empire (for higher resolution support) and i can see only sky in first level :dead:

Works fine in WIP39. Broken in WIP40+

Well, currently:

- Hogs of War: yet have no idea what the problem is - still need to figure it out
- SWINE: I fixed a D3D8 bug, now it works, except the cutscene videos (the old problem that really should be addressed somehow in the next version)
- End of Twilight: it's a DllMain type game... :S
- The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games: I cannot run it at all. It seems to have a compressed executable which doesn't work on modern Windows (like Tonic Trouble)

Anyway, I added DllMain detection into the debug layer.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: WIP versions

Postby palladin9479 » 2018-2-15 @ 13:33

Dege your a hero man..
palladin9479
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 2016-11-28 @ 02:38

Re: WIP versions

Postby ZellSF » 2018-2-15 @ 16:26

ZellSF wrote:S.W.I.N.E looks nice if you're on 1.9 and skip FMVs. FMVs crash and so does gameplay in the latest unofficial patch. Too bad since the game does benefit from dgVoodoo2's resolution forcing (it's another game with bad UI scaling):
swine_2017_07_06_02_34_19_167.jpg
Game was released for free and is available here: http://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=10307. Fan patch available here: http://digi.atw.hu/2.3.php.

Gladiators: The Galactic Circus Games works natively, but will crash with dgVoodoo2 saying "Exception EOverflow dans le module The Gladiators Demo.exe à 00002DA6. Débordement en virgule flottante." meaning "Floating point overflow". The game works natively as long as you have the Railroad Tycoon 3 blurry texture fix (D3D8 intercept DLL that fixes VRAM detection): http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm and d3drm.dll in the game's directory (it will not tell you if this is missing). Has demo if you want to look: https://archive.org/details/TheGladiato ... sGamesDemo

Quoting myself. When you said S.W.I.N.E is fixed now did you mean 2.3.9? Swine 1.9 always worked when you skipped FMVs.

The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games should work on Windows 10, just not with dgVoodoo2.
ZellSF
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: 2006-1-01 @ 18:19

Re: WIP versions

Postby lowenz » 2018-2-15 @ 18:22

palladin9479 wrote:Dege your a hero man..

A PC Retrogame Prometheus! :D
lowenz
Oldbie
 
Posts: 952
Joined: 2014-12-20 @ 01:30

Re: WIP versions

Postby Dege » 2018-2-15 @ 20:05

ZellSF wrote:Quoting myself. When you said S.W.I.N.E is fixed now did you mean 2.3.9? Swine 1.9 always worked when you skipped FMVs.

The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games should work on Windows 10, just not with dgVoodoo2.


Sorry, I must have missed that post...
The bug I fixed affects the FMV crash in Swine. But without FMVs even WIP42 works for me with 2.3.9. So, I think I must play a little to make it crash and it's not enough to just start a new game.

Finally I got Gladiators demo working natively.
This game has a so hard anti-debug protection that it even closes DebugView when I launch the game.
So I whipped up a file logging to see into the internals but all I can see is the game init the D3D8 library, does some display mode queries and such and then unload it before the crash.
Simply doesn't like it. :DDD

lowenz wrote:
palladin9479 wrote:Dege your a hero man..

A PC Retrogame Prometheus! :D

It's exaggeration a little bit... :)

Update: OK, I found it, facepalm. Now Gladiators run with dgVoodoo. There is a slight problem however, it crashes when I want to go back to full screen mode from windowed, but all goes fine with 'Disable Alt-Enter...' disabled.
I guess it's the same device reset thing that I struggled with in other games.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: WIP versions

Postby vedmysh » 2018-2-16 @ 07:28

Dege, any chance we can see working D3D translation in Jane's titles (especially in Jane's F-18)?
Thanks.
vedmysh
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2017-11-10 @ 09:30

Re: WIP versions

Postby Dege » 2018-2-17 @ 14:06

A new WIP (would be fine to be the last before the next version):

=========================
WIP43:
=========================

- Glide clipping issues fixed (Gunmetal)
- Lighting issue in DX is fixed (flashing lights in Tomb Raider 4 and hopefully King Of The Roads)
- Wrong interpretation of MSAA options coming from INI config files, fixed
- D3D device type 'Software MMX' is removed from Direct3D7 for better compatibility (3D Blitz)
- Some minor fixes for changing to fullscreen mode and managing free virtual videomemory
- Disabling 32 bit z-buffers for Direct3D3/5 (Shadows of The Empire)
- D3D8 device reset fix (S.W.I.N.E.)
- DllMain detection for DirectX along with warning messages through the debug layer (though I may remove it later)
- Some D3D8 thing is fixed (The Gladiators Demo)
- CPL folder/location list handling code is rewritten (fixes some long standing issues, I hope)
- CPL appearance is now PerMonitorAwareV2 for DPI scaling
- Minor D3D8 window handling modification (RavenShield crash when Alt-Entering)


http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP43.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP43_dbg.zip

vedmysh wrote:Dege, any chance we can see working D3D translation in Jane's titles (especially in Jane's F-18)?
Thanks.

Well, of course it's on my list.
However those game series have one problems that seem to be unresolvabe to me for the time being: additional windows on top of the rendering window.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: WIP versions

Postby Sardoc » 2018-2-17 @ 15:14

Dege wrote:A new WIP (would be fine to be the last before the next version):

=========================
WIP43:
=========================

- Glide clipping issues fixed (Gunmetal)
- Lighting issue in DX is fixed (flashing lights in Tomb Raider 4 and hopefully King Of The Roads)
- Wrong interpretation of MSAA options coming from INI config files, fixed
- D3D device type 'Software MMX' is removed from Direct3D7 for better compatibility (3D Blitz)
- Some minor fixes for changing to fullscreen mode and managing free virtual videomemory
- Disabling 32 bit z-buffers for Direct3D3/5 (Shadows of The Empire)
- D3D8 device reset fix (S.W.I.N.E.)
- DllMain detection for DirectX along with warning messages through the debug layer (though I may remove it later)
- Some D3D8 thing is fixed (The Gladiators Demo)
- CPL folder/location list handling code is rewritten (fixes some long standing issues, I hope)
- CPL appearance is now PerMonitorAwareV2 for DPI scaling
- Minor D3D8 window handling modification (RavenShield crash when Alt-Entering)


http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP43.zip
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP43_dbg.zip

vedmysh wrote:Dege, any chance we can see working D3D translation in Jane's titles (especially in Jane's F-18)?
Thanks.

Well, of course it's on my list.
However those game series have one problems that seem to be unresolvabe to me for the time being: additional windows on top of the rendering window.


Thanks for that. I can't use it yet, because my AV (Norton) deletes it immediately, but I'll send it to them as a false positive to review.

It worked with 2.54, fingers crossed it'll work with this one, too.

EDIT: False positive report sent. Let's see what they do about it.
User avatar
Sardoc
Newbie
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 2012-9-21 @ 13:11

Re: WIP versions

Postby lowenz » 2018-2-17 @ 16:55

Still having problems in Raven Shield!

*Oil patches Z-Fighting + this:

Image

Image
lowenz
Oldbie
 
Posts: 952
Joined: 2014-12-20 @ 01:30

Re: WIP versions

Postby Dege » 2018-2-18 @ 12:49

What version of RavenShield do you have?
I installed Patch 1.6.412 to the game, and I still can't reproduce those problems. :S
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: WIP versions

Postby fimkold » 2018-2-18 @ 15:16

Hi Dege, thanks for the wip versions! I'm working on glide2x capture and replay tools and the debug version of your wrapper helps a lot (the release versions and a debugger don't get along well).
fimkold
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2015-6-20 @ 20:47

Re: WIP versions

Postby lowenz » 2018-2-18 @ 16:07

Dege wrote:What version of RavenShield do you have?
I installed Patch 1.6.412 to the game, and I still can't reproduce those problems. :S

It's a custom repack with all the expansions. I'll try another version!
lowenz
Oldbie
 
Posts: 952
Joined: 2014-12-20 @ 01:30

Re: WIP versions

Postby Dege » 2018-2-18 @ 19:00

fimkold wrote:Hi Dege, thanks for the wip versions! I'm working on glide2x capture and replay tools and the debug version of your wrapper helps a lot (the release versions and a debugger don't get along well).

Hi!

Thanks for making me aware of that! :cool: The same approach as GDI meta files in Windows (GDI drawing commands are recorded into a data storage to play them back later) for 'vector graphics'.
But how do you store texture or lfb data in the file?

Anyway, good to see dgVoodoo debug layer is useful for something. :)

lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:What version of RavenShield do you have?
I installed Patch 1.6.412 to the game, and I still can't reproduce those problems. :S

It's a custom repack with all the expansions. I'll try another version!

Ah, then I should try that version! It must be the reason of the difference, there is no other explanation.
Dege
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2003-9-04 @ 11:06

Re: WIP versions

Postby lowenz » 2018-2-18 @ 19:01

UPlay Gold version is working fine.

The repack was from an old backup of a RUSSIAN installer way before Raven Shield Gold was available in UPlay store.
It's a repack with "2.0" modded version included.
lowenz
Oldbie
 
Posts: 952
Joined: 2014-12-20 @ 01:30

Re: WIP versions

Postby fimkold » 2018-2-18 @ 22:40

Dege wrote:Thanks for making me aware of that! :cool: The same approach as GDI meta files in Windows (GDI drawing commands are recorded into a data storage to play them back later) for 'vector graphics'.
But how do you store texture or lfb data in the file?

Anyway, good to see dgVoodoo debug layer is useful for something. :)


Didn't know that GDI meta files work like that. I think I first stumbled upon that approach when I found ApiTrace, which records and replays Direct3D/OpenGL commands and lets you inspect them - very cool stuff :)
No special handling of textures really*, I just directly dump the data that gets to grTexDownload functions to disk. I will eventually add some sort of compression (deflate/gzip without checksums most likely), but I need to add compression for the GrVertex data first. There's no LFB tracking yet, because it's a bit tricky to quickly find the regions where the game is writing, but I'm on it (dirty page tracking for coarse search + some sse/mmx).
I actually looked even in the dgVoodoo 1.5x sources (and openglide), because there are some weird undocumented glide functions and I wanted to know what is actually implemented and used, so thanks for that too. And I wanted to know if somebody ever used grErrorSetCallback :D

* for textures allocated with guTexAllocateMemory the GrMipMapID needs to be stored and remapped during replay, because the IDs can differ between runs (if you use different wrapper for example)
fimkold
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2015-6-20 @ 20:47

Re: WIP versions

Postby Choum » 2018-2-21 @ 16:19

Hello all,

Here a bug report and a suggestion :
Theme hospital (Windows version) do not work with dgvoodoo. (Very laggy and construction menu not visible), this is not a big problem as the game work great out of the box, I was trying dgvoodoo to add an overlay in this old game :)

Will it be possible to add a frame rate limiter Inside dgvoodoo option for game that do not like to run at more than30- 60fps etc.., without having to tweak game profil (for nvidia) ?
Choum
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 2016-4-10 @ 10:18

Re: WIP versions

Postby batterymandark » 2018-2-22 @ 16:10

when i'm testing your latest WIP I notice some issues in Toca Racing Driver.
I have uploaded a video to show the issues , and its a directx 8.1 game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPA1Pd ... p9QWN78m26

I'v also added a comment to time mark when issues are present.
If my comment for some reason doesn't show up here is what I wrote

0:28 : Wireframe of building seems to ghosting trough tree's
1:15 : Model of a building is passing through tree's again , a grey shadow is seeing. but also continues too show grey ghost buildings trough hills and trees all the way to 1:35
2:04 : Ghost buildings appears yet again all the way to 2:08
Thise issues will of course repeat again since I driving around the lap many times

But I think I faintly remember this issue is present in other games when dealing with anti-alising or is it Z-buffer issues??

I can give more information if this video is too little to explain anything.
batterymandark
Newbie
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2013-9-14 @ 08:20

Re: WIP versions

Postby Silanda » 2018-2-23 @ 00:45

An issue I've noticed using WIP 43 (it's probably present in other builds but I haven't checked): Final Fantasy VII (original disc version) runs unpatched, or patched to 1.02 with the Nvidia fix turned off in its config, in hardware accelerated mode but the colours are corrupted in game. Also, with default settings in dgVoodoo, and the Nvidia fix turned on in FF7's config, after the logos the game only displays a black screen.

A workaround I've found is to set the videocard to ATI Radeon 8500 or Matrox Parhelia-512 in dgVoodoo and to use the Nvidia fix in TNT mode in FF7's config. The only side effect of that is that dgVoodoo's upscaling doesn't work properly (everything's a tiled mess), while if the colours were correct it looks like upscaling would look fine with the default videocard and the Nvidia fix turned off.

There are other options for playing FF7, but I thought I'd let you know.
Silanda
Member
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 2005-9-08 @ 01:24

Re: WIP versions

Postby batterymandark » 2018-2-25 @ 12:29

batterymandark wrote:when i'm testing your latest WIP I notice some issues in Toca Racing Driver.
I have uploaded a video to show the issues , and its a directx 8.1 game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPA1Pd ... p9QWN78m26

I'v also added a comment to time mark when issues are present.
If my comment for some reason doesn't show up here is what I wrote

0:28 : Wireframe of building seems to ghosting trough tree's
1:15 : Model of a building is passing through tree's again , a grey shadow is seeing. but also continues too show grey ghost buildings trough hills and trees all the way to 1:35
2:04 : Ghost buildings appears yet again all the way to 2:08
Thise issues will of course repeat again since I driving around the lap many times

But I think I faintly remember this issue is present in other games when dealing with anti-alising or is it Z-buffer issues??

I can give more information if this video is too little to explain anything.


I'v added a second video where you see it more obvious , when you driving around , a metal grid texture is floating and you can see it trough the asphalt, if you skip to 20 second into the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwHnmq ... p9QWN78m26
batterymandark
Newbie
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 2013-9-14 @ 08:20

PreviousNext

Return to dgVoodoo General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests