VOGONS

Outlaws

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Ben Gunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
The thing is, I can't fix it. Last time I debugged it, it revealed that the (game) renderer releases (destroys) some of its text […]
Show full quote

The thing is, I can't fix it. Last time I debugged it, it revealed that the (game) renderer releases (destroys) some of its textures before they get rendered.
Isn't it a bug in DXGL instead? I mean, DXGL may not release the texture objects when they should be released and so it works only by chance?

BTW, unfortunately I don't have an AMD card at all by now. But I see that AMD texturing problem is a growing issue.
I'd need some little app (a scene demo maybe) that it can be reproduced with, and send it to the AMD bugreport system.

Hi Dege,

I tested your dgvoodoo2 wrappers to play Outlaws on my Windows 10 64-bit machine.
Version 2.54 works very good and Outlaw is playable without big problems (only the waterfall texture glitch).
Version 2.55.x of dgvoodoo2 however just sucks, because Outlaws just shows a white screen instead of the 3D world.

Why is 2.55.x so terrible when it comes to playing Outlaws?
What did you change compared to 2.54?
Is the source code of dgvoodoo2 available or for your eyes only?

Kind Regards,
Ben Gunn

Reply 21 of 27, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2.55 and WIP versions come with a lot of huge improvements.

If the 2.54 works, why not just use that ?

Also, dgVooodoo2 is closed-source, and remains that way :
Open-sourcing dgVoodoo?

Reply 22 of 27, by Ben Gunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote:
2.55 and WIP versions come with a lot of huge improvements. […]
Show full quote

2.55 and WIP versions come with a lot of huge improvements.

If the 2.54 works, why not just use that ?

Also, dgVooodoo2 is closed-source, and remains that way :
Open-sourcing dgVoodoo?

Hi xcomcmdr,

hm, and one of those huge improvements in 2.55.x is to drop support of Outlaws?
Don't get me wrong, i love dgvoodoo2, but working functionality should not get lost in newer versions.
In the moment version 2.54 is the only choice for people who want to play Outlaws via dgvoodoo2.
Too bad it's going to stay closed-source.

Regards,
Ben Gunn

Reply 24 of 27, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ben Gunn wrote:
Hi Dege, […]
Show full quote

Hi Dege,

I tested your dgvoodoo2 wrappers to play Outlaws on my Windows 10 64-bit machine.
Version 2.54 works very good and Outlaw is playable without big problems (only the waterfall texture glitch).
Version 2.55.x of dgvoodoo2 however just sucks, because Outlaws just shows a white screen instead of the 3D world.

Why is 2.55.x so terrible when it comes to playing Outlaws?
What did you change compared to 2.54?

Kind Regards,
Ben Gunn

Are you running it on an AMD card? Missing/corrupted textures is a known issue.
There are a lot of changes between 2.54 and 2.55.x, and to be honest, I don't have a clue what change caused the problem on AMD's.
Maybe different shader code, different order of rendering commands…
I'd report it to AMD if the issue could be reproduced with a simple app or scene demo (for submit), but I only have an old AMD7850 now, getting dust on the shelf.

Ben Gunn wrote:

Is the source code of dgvoodoo2 available or for your eyes only?

Yes, it's closed source.

Reply 25 of 27, by Ben Gunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Are you running it on an AMD card? Missing/corrupted textures is a known issue.

Yes, I'm running on an 'ASUS Radeon RX Vega56' in the moment.
So, nVidia runs error-free?

Dege wrote:

There are a lot of changes between 2.54 and 2.55.x, and to be honest, I don't have a clue what change caused the problem on AMD's.
Maybe different shader code, different order of rendering commands…
I'd report it to AMD if the issue could be reproduced with a simple app or scene demo (for submit), but I only have an old AMD7850 now, getting dust on the shelf.

I don't know much about graphics programming.
Would have to learn it.

Dege wrote:

Yes, it's closed source.

Maybe you'll change your mind in the future...

CU,
Ben Gunn

Reply 26 of 27, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished Outlaws in two sittings for the first time a couple of days ago on an RX 480 and dgVoodoo2 2.54 and it ran pretty well (I followed the steps from the PCGamingWiki), so I don't see what the issue here is. If the developer says that a lot of things changed from 2.54 to 2.55.x, then it is not unreasonable to think that perhaps along the way some things got broken. But since the older version is available easily, why fuss about it?

Reply 27 of 27, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if borderless fullscreen options get added to the UI so people can easily find and set it up, a future dgVoodoo version might offer a much better Outlaws experience.

On a unrelated note, Outlaws seems to have crashing issues on some modern setups:
https://www.gog.com/forum/outlaws_a_handful_o … _solutions_here
I hope someone can find the actual source, as I said in that topic I really doubt it's resolution related. I had this problem for a short while, but it seems to be gone now. My wild guesses are: something with GoG's winmm wrapper (I updated to a newer GoG build), Nvidia driver problem (I've keep updated on that because of FreeSync support) or dgVoodoo config problem (unlikely, but I have been using different configs).