VOGONS

First post, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, it's been pointed out before, but........ will the renders-the-game-unplayable input lag be fixed in these two titles for dgVoodoo soon?

I dropped in and out of dgVoodoo over the past year or so trying to see if it would improve certain games, and since then (the past few weeks to be precise) I've flitted from my PC's Intel HD Graphics 2000 to an nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, so I've been going over my previous DxWnd/dgV configs to see if they still work as intended under the new GPU setup.

GTA 1 (and by extension GTA L'69), alas, seems to have not really changed. It excels at giving me a decent, filtered display with correct aspect ratio, but the keyboard lag it chucks into it in the process singlehandedly kills the game. It's a darn shame. I've tried tinkering with every possible setting under the latest available version at the time of writing (v2.53) and it doesn't change one jot. What could be the problem here? It wouldn't be SciTech MGL related, would it? I already suspect that could be a factor in DxWnd not being able to handle the game atm.

(As for my setup, just in case it's important: ASUS PH877-V LE Motherboard, Intel Core i5-2310 @ 2.90GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2000 (former), nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (current), Realtek HD Audio, Windows 7 64-bit.)

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't this game run without dgVoodoo? I understood the nVidia drivers were already explicitly set up for it somehow (and that you can trigger the appropriate settings for London 1969 by renaming the executable).

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, to be sure, have you tried renaming the executable? (This is referenced at http://gtamp.com/gta1/ .) If it's already named "Grand Theft Auto.exe", maybe try changing it to something else? Perhaps nVidia's fix is conflicting with dgVoodoo, or something. It's easy enough to try, anyway.

Reply 4 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTA1 is the DOS game.
Dgvoodoo2 have it's own glide2x.ovl?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

GTA1 is the DOS game.

It has both DOS and Windows versions, if I'm not mistaken. (The DOS version would never run under Windows 7x64 without DOSBox.)

Reply 6 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As for GTA1, I think the best way is to play this game in DosBox through Glide. I've tried it and it works perfectly for me (Win10, WIP30) and it provides the nicest appearance.
On the other hand, controls for the DDraw version don't (or only partially, poorly) work, the game is unplayable. I don't know though if it's a dgVoodoo issue or Windows. If dgVoodoo then it indeed should be fixed (it all is suspicious because of Outlaws).