VOGONS

First post, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, okay, here's a relatively more minor issue compared to the last one.

dgVoodoo2 can almost pull off a wonderful upscaled display of MDK through its 3DFX build. I say 'almost', because it would appear that if you make the game run beyond its original 640x480 resolution, some ghosting effects are introduced which appear in certain parts of the display - mainly the skies, Kurt during the start of his freefall, and the ammo storage part of the sniper screen (from what testing I did).

Which is a shame, because while I could get away with having dgV run the game through a 'borderless window' setup with no upscaled resolution, manually setting the Glide resolution to 1280x960 (double the original res) means everything tends to look a lot nicer on my 1920x1080 monitor..... apart from the ghosting of course.

Tested with v2.53 and also the last couple of WIP builds.

Reply 2 of 3, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That I'm aware of. 😀 Watched that Digital Foundry video a couple of days ago.

There's just one thing that Mr DF (Yeah, I don't know his actual name. Sue me. 😜) deigned to acknowledge in his piece however... the D3D build is known to introduce a fair amount of its own, prominent visual glitches. And all without the aid of any 3rd-party wrapper.

Just within the first minute or two of gameplay for instance, one can notice three things that occur only in D3D:

1) Kurt doesn't fade to white along with the rest of the screen at the start of his freefall.
2) During said skydiving section, the top and bottom ends of the screen have some kind of HoM effect which leaves stuck, stuttering effects of previous animations to have occurred there. It becomes noticable quickly just by having Kurt hug the bottom ends of the screen, and if not that, then certainly when the radar beam paints said ends a fluctuating shade of black and green.
3) At the start of the platforming segment, you immediately notice that the top and left ends of the screen now appear to show a slither of the background at all times, and it's something I can't just easily ignore or black out with any existing tools at hand.

Also also, one thing I noticed since upgrading to a GeForce GPU just recently is that the D3D build won't even do some visuals correctly when run naturally. What immediately sticks out is that the radar beam and missile trails are now all black instead of green and yellow respectively, and the sky during platforming segments just glitches out at random. I don't recall these happening back when I was running it with integrated Intel graphics.

Just trying out the D3D build after hearing DF wax lyrical about it only served to remind me once more why I ditched it all those years ago in the first place. At this stage I feel I'd rather cope with the Glide build's inferior texture quality than attempt a complete playthrough of the game with all these fugly glitches popping up left, right and centre.

If it were possible somehow to reverse-engineer the existing executable and work out a way to clean up all the visual troubles in the D3D port then maybe I might just consider using it more often. Alas, I do not carry the skills or expertise necessary to perform such a magic trick myself.