VOGONS

DirectX 8.0a?

Topic actions

First post, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can I run DirectX 8.0a games like Moto Racer 3 with dgvoodoo? I tried and the game crashes to desktop saying DirectX 8.0a isn't
supported by the emulated gpu, does dgvoodoo only support DirectX 8.1 games and not DirectX 8.0 - DirectX 8.1?

Reply 1 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's actually the evaluation by dgVoodoo2's DirectDraw7 that's broken. You can disable it in the config app under "Display" or just remove ddraw.dll from Moto Racer 3's directory and rely on native ddraw for FMVs and that check and dgVoodoo2 for game rendering.

Game seems to have double cursor problem in menus in "emulated" modes.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried Moto Racer 3 Gold Edition with the current (unreleased) version and it successfully got launched (older versions indeed fails).
The introducing movies weren't rendered though, black screen only. Probably rendered through GDI because even the logo didn't show up (it another old issue, or rather a missing feature).

It's better not to copy DDraw.dll to the game folder, only D3D8. That way it works fine.

As for double cursor, yes, it's an issue that can come with forced resolutions and emulated aspect-ratio-correct appearance. 🙁
When I was debugging such issues formerly, I encountered some tricks done by the Windows compat layer (for the given game) that also fooled dgVoodoo because some parts of the Win32 API didn't work as expected.