VOGONS

First post, by DCX6723

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game runs very well with dgVoodoo (latest stable, mouse cursor seems better in WIP version) however, this is completely not possible to :
- Edit sound/controller options, the new windows popups can't be launched in Escape menu
- At startup, an alt+enter switch is required, may also be required when going in-game according to the game res (not sure at 100% for this one)
- Mouse is slow in menu (although movement clarity is enhanced in latest WIP)

Reply 1 of 8, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which Windows version are you using? The game works flawless for me without the need for dgVoodoo in Windows 7 64. I did have to use the replacement installer found on this website:

http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/05/23/future-cop-lapd/

I also used the Windows 98 compatibility mode for the exe. All option screens, startup, mouse, etc. works perfect.

lapdset.jpg
Filename
lapdset.jpg
File size
96.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by DCX6723

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Which Windows version are you using? The game works flawless for me without the need for dgVoodoo in Windows 7 64. I did have to […]
Show full quote

Which Windows version are you using? The game works flawless for me without the need for dgVoodoo in Windows 7 64. I did have to use the replacement installer found on this website:

http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/05/23/future-cop-lapd/

I also used the Windows 98 compatibility mode for the exe. All option screens, startup, mouse, etc. works perfect.

lapdset.jpg

Thanks for the replie 😉

Well Windows 7 is the latest OS to support "natively" the game with W98 option, I don't remember being able to play it on Windows 8 also.
But huge thanks for the tip, mixing W98 mode + dgvoodoo2 fix a lot of issues on Windows 10 including the window popup and the music is properly played, also graphics are native !

Thanks again 😉
However the game only run in English edition, my french CD isn't compatible at all, the game crashs after intro no matter what but I patched the US release with french audio easily.

Reply 3 of 8, by Alex Shults

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my Win10 64bit system Future Cop ran in software mode only. dgVoodoo in Direct3D mode - white models, textures are off.

Zeus (nGlide's author) said:
"You won't believe what I found. This game doesn't use [Thrash Driver] field and trash driver files for Glide and Software modes! Glide and Software renderers are implemented internally in the executable. :shock:
This means voodooa.dll, voodoo2a.dll and softtria.dll are only dummy files."

Very weird game....

Reply 4 of 8, by DCX6723

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alex Shults wrote:
On my Win10 64bit system Future Cop ran in software mode only. dgVoodoo in Direct3D mode - white models, textures are off. […]
Show full quote

On my Win10 64bit system Future Cop ran in software mode only. dgVoodoo in Direct3D mode - white models, textures are off.

Zeus (nGlide's author) said:
"You won't believe what I found. This game doesn't use [Thrash Driver] field and trash driver files for Glide and Software modes! Glide and Software renderers are implemented internally in the executable. :shock:
This means voodooa.dll, voodoo2a.dll and softtria.dll are only dummy files."

Very weird game....

Crazy!

I recommend the psx port on retroarch (Beetle PSX HW) for HD rendering/360 controller support or the mac os 9 version (but this one crashs randomly on my machine), i have some input key issues on
the windows port (if you maintain space and another shoot key, the cop will get stuck to one direction only).

Reply 5 of 8, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works fine on QEMU 3Dfx in Windows 10 x64 with Win98SE guest. Just do not run the 3D card detection and modify the registry directly to select "voodoo". The version support high resolution rendering at 1024x768. Never had a PSX myself but I don't think PSX version would support that. I always prefer PC port of 3Dfx games, especially those with native 3Dfx Glide support.

fcops.png
Filename
fcops.png
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File comment
Future Corps QEMU 3Dfx Glide
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by Alex Shults

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DCX6723 wrote:

Crazy!

I recommend the psx port on retroarch (Beetle PSX HW) for HD rendering/360 controller support or the mac os 9 version (but this one crashs randomly on my machine), i have some input key issues on
the windows port (if you maintain space and another shoot key, the cop will get stuck to one direction only).

I have a Sony PS3 and I have already installed FutureKop, but the quality of the graphics on PSone ...very poor ((
Future cop was released for the PS3, I wonder how good the graphics are there...
I spent a week of time and adapted 95 out of 100 of my favorite old games. It is a pity that FutureCop was not included in this list 😢

Reply 7 of 8, by Alex Shults

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote:

I always prefer PC port of 3Dfx games, especially those with native 3Dfx Glide support.

fcops.png

Me too, buddy )
Thanks for the hint, i've never heard before about QEMU 3Dfx. Just nGlide and DgVoodoo.
By the way, the graphic part of FutureCop is similar to NFS3. I was even able to speed up the software renderer by copying the files from NFS3.

UPD:I tried to start the game with QEMU 3Dfx. Alas, the game starts, but crashes in 10-15 secs, displaying the video with credits (

Last edited by Alex Shults on 2019-02-11, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.