VOGONS

Little Big Adventure 2 - LBA2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to be a member of the MagicBall Network so I remember these projects quite well. LBAWin was the effort of a sole person as you said, it was a godsend back then, mostly because it got rid of the frickin' getting hit by the well "feature" of the game 🤣 . I played LBA1 many years after playing LBA2, so that always irritated me greatly.

As far as I remember, there never was an attempt to create a reverse engineered LBA2 engine, I believe most people were happy with how the Windows version ran under Windows XP (this was still 2005-2006 after all), if of course you had applied the FunFrog patch. For some reason, LBA 2 produced garbled graphics on anything newer than ~GeForce256 I believe and someone produced a patch for it (Windows version). This situation reminds me greatly of Cryo's Atlantis which produced very similar issues with anything newer than a Voodoo Banshee/V3. LBA1 was more urgent since it was a DOS game and DOSBox was still somewhat slow (still remember how badly it ran on my Pentium 4 😁) and usually scared people because it had... DOS commands (not my words 🤣 ). So, I think the idea was always that we needed to fix LBA 1 first and then LBA 2. But then no one bothered with LBA 2!

Other than a widescreen patch at some point (which I do not know if it's at all possible to pull off without hooking into some code), I don't see what's so great about the Windows version. The GoG (DOS) version works fine and I've never noticed the supposed better audio quality. If I ever feel like replaying LBA2, I'll probably install it under Win95 on my retro box, but I don't see what the issue with the GoG version is. Whatever works 🤣 .

Reply 21 of 25, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
UCyborg wrote:

True, majority DOS games aren't demanding at all, just the latest of that era when true 3D graphics was becoming the reality are hungrier. Probably that's why emulating it on non x86 architectures is feasible in the first place (eg. DosBOX on Android smartphones, where ARM is prevalent).

I can't get past 9 FPS in Quake 1 at 1280x1024, VirtualBox runs it at about 78 FPS. I did manage to get DOSEmu (Linux only) working in the past, this one relies less on emulation. Combining the best of DOSBox and DOSEmu, now that'd be a killer combo! 😁

No one played Quake 1 at 1280x1024. DOSBox isn't intended for craziness. Use the port luke.

At the relase of quake 1 it was true because there are not powefull compturer but some years (maybe 4 years) after, it was possible.

Quake 1 in 1280x1024 was very demading. Dosbox emulation with a game very demading in native dos will be very demading. It's normal.

Reply 22 of 25, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoolGamer wrote:

It seems like there is very strong interest in getting Little Big Adventure 2 to run natively in Windows via dgVoodoo, but most people either only have the GOG version or having difficulty with the original 16bit Windows 95 installer of the Retail CDs.

A very strong interst, defintively not because dosbox version works well and the differences between dos and windows version are poor.
A little interest, yes because it's interesting to have 2 different methods to play the game nowadays.

Reply 23 of 25, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dosbox and dgVoodoo are both great projects and they both have their own sub forums on Vogons. These two projects are not substitutes of each other. I use both of them for playing old games. Since this is the dgVoodoo subsection of the forum, I post bug reports and tutorials regarding DirectX and Glide versions of games and demos that can be run via dgVoodoo here.

If I encounter any bugs or graphical glitches in LBA2 Windows DirectX version via dgVoodoo, I will post them on this thread.

Reply 24 of 25, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoolGamer wrote:

Dosbox and dgVoodoo are both great projects and they both have their own sub forums on Vogons. These two projects are not substitutes of each other. I use both of them for playing old games. Since this is the dgVoodoo subsection of the forum, I post bug reports and tutorials regarding DirectX and Glide versions of games and demos that can be run via dgVoodoo here.

If I encounter any bugs or graphical glitches in LBA2 Windows DirectX version via dgVoodoo, I will post them on this thread.

You are right to post bugs and want to play with windows version.
I have answered only about "very strong interest"

Reply 25 of 25, by Kreeep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoolGamer wrote on 2017-04-07, 15:21:

It is possible to chain Peixoto's tool with dgVoodoo for this game but this is not required.

Thanks for the guide CoolGamer. Really appreciate it 😀 A couple of questions though. I've gotten the game working with DosBox, natively, with Peixoto's patches and with dgVoodoo. Although when using dgvoodoo, no graphical enhancements I choose have any effect in game. Also, when attempting to use Peixoto's patches in conjunction with dgVoodoo it just crashes back to desktop. Any ideas would be appreciated 😀