VOGONS

First post, by Veren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I wanted to get back to Morrowind, unfortunately my PC is laptop with optimus (intel & geforce 650m) - no way to run it with NVIDIA gfx no matter what i set. I dont want to use any MGE - want to get vanila look - MGE replaces the water 🙁.

I found the wrapper, everything seems to work fine except... the water. When I enable AA i get lines connected into squares all over the water. Is there any way to fix this? Or maybe someone knows how to force the shitty optimus to work with Morrowind?

Reply 1 of 5, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you don't care about battery life and run from the mains your better off disabling Optimus and the Intel GPU,
Optimus causes nothing but problems and alot of games don't detect it properly even when forced in the Nvidia control panal profiles or by right clicking the .EXE and "Run with graphics processor" option instead always defaulting to the Intel GPU unless you set your game settings .ini etc files to read-only.

You can disable Optimus and the Intel gpu in BIOS and set it to run in Discrete mode instead which will just use the Nvidia GPU, but be warned it might not work properly under Windows 10 I couldn't get my NVS4200M to work, but on Windows 7 it ran fine, you'll also have to re-adjust your brightness and colour settings, running soley on the Nvidia GPU also unlocks extra scaling options in the Nvidia control panel and the shared system ram that was used by the Intel GPU VRAM is freed up for more on the Nvidia GPU 😀 .

Here's the 33MB difference it makes on mine.

n.jpg
Filename
n.jpg
File size
86.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
gpu.png
Filename
gpu.png
File size
27.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Veren wrote:

Hello all,

I wanted to get back to Morrowind, unfortunately my PC is laptop with optimus (intel & geforce 650m) - no way to run it with NVIDIA gfx no matter what i set. I dont want to use any MGE - want to get vanila look - MGE replaces the water 🙁.

I found the wrapper, everything seems to work fine except... the water. When I enable AA i get lines connected into squares all over the water. Is there any way to fix this? Or maybe someone knows how to force the shitty optimus to work with Morrowind?

As Dege said, the water issue cant be fixed. You need disable AA and/or resolution forcing. This happens also in Splinter Cell 1.
Try forcing AA through Nvidia CP or game it self.

Reply 3 of 5, by Veren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again

I dont think it is possible to disable the integrated gpu -my laptop is samsung np550p5c. What could be the name of this option in bios?

About forcing AA via driver - if i use the wrapper and set AA via the CP it does not work - why?

Reply 4 of 5, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hardware/disab … ll/td-p/4363279

For me it's under Config, Display

it should be grouped alongside the options to set the output as VGA, DisplayPort / HDMI or LCD.

If you can't disable it via a BIOS option you can still disable the Intel GPU with Device Manager under Display Adapters.

Reply 5 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Veren wrote:

About forcing AA via driver - if i use the wrapper and set AA via the CP it does not work - why?

Because water consists of 3D rendered averaged textures. If you force resolution or AA thorugh the CPL then dgVoodoo also scales the size (and changes the AA) of 3D-rendered textures.
The water rendering algorhytm is very sensitive to that so glitches appears. 🙁