VOGONS

First post, by letmelive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've spent the last 4 days trying to get Resident Evil to play on my PC - I even changed my laptop!! I have Voodoo 2.54 installed and I just have a black screen with the text showing [New Game - Load Game] it seems the backgrounds are not getting rendered properly.

I have onboard graphics intel iris 630 and a GTX 1050 card.

I love the REsident Evil Series, and I really want to play it on the PC like I did back in 1998

biggest headache, but I can't give up, I know it must be able to be done, Other people have managed it.

I am on windows 10 64bit
onboard graphics intel iris 630 and a GTX 1050 card.

I hope you can help!

Amy

Reply 1 of 15, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't find my CD for RE1 at the moment, but have you tried to set the Videocard setting to "ATI Radeon 8500" preset on the dgVoodoo control panel?

Dege usually puts game specific recommendations, patches on the web page linked below. ATI 8500 preset was mentioned there.
http://dege.freeweb.hu/Gallery/DXGamesGallery.html

Reply 2 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's impossible to play the game like you did back in 1998 unless you play it on the computer from 1998.

You can play the updated ver if you can't get the original working on your computer:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/304240/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 15, by letmelive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoolGamer wrote:

I can't find my CD for RE1 at the moment, but have you tried to set the Videocard setting to "ATI Radeon 8500" preset on the dgVoodoo control panel?

Dege usually puts game specific recommendations, patches on the web page linked below. ATI 8500 preset was mentioned there.
http://dege.freeweb.hu/Gallery/DXGamesGallery.html

Yeah, I have tried DGVoodoo and I keep getting and blank screen or blank backgrounds

JPEG_20171119_020251.jpg
Filename
JPEG_20171119_020251.jpg
File size
97.97 KiB
Views
File comment
with Voodoo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and this one is with standard setup with compat win 95.

JPEG_20171119_020407.jpg
Filename
JPEG_20171119_020407.jpg
File size
166.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm tearing my hair out, and I have played the remake but I have mods I want to do, I wanted the PC version as it is open - I have ideas for a Wesker and Ada RE 0.5 storyline.

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it

Reply 4 of 15, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just tried RE1 with dgVoodoo 2.54, and as CoolGamer said, it works for me with video card set to 'ATI Radeon 8500'. Any other videocard type gives black background and other rendering glitches.
Also, cutscene movies unfortunately works only in windowed mode (tiny appearance in the middle of the window though), in fullscreen they results in blank screen (sound only).

So, what I did:
- Run dgVoodooCPL and select/add the folder of RE1 into its list
- On DirectX tab, select 'ATI Radeon 8500' from the videocard dropdown list
- Press 'OK'

Run NEWEUR.EXE in Win95 compatibility mode and aside from the blank screen for cutscenes the game should run properly. Ok, well, aside from some background rendering glitches (horizontal and vertical garbage lines).

You also have additional ways to go:

- Select a higher resolution on DirectX tab, and maybe MSAA to get improved appearance
- Disable 'Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state' and 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' options on DirectX tab, and select 'Windowed' mode on General tab to run the game in windowed mode. In this way you'll see the cutscenes and also be able to switch between fullscreen/windowed mode by Alt-Enter

Reply 5 of 15, by letmelive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
I've just tried RE1 with dgVoodoo 2.54, and as CoolGamer said, it works for me with video card set to 'ATI Radeon 8500'. Any oth […]
Show full quote

I've just tried RE1 with dgVoodoo 2.54, and as CoolGamer said, it works for me with video card set to 'ATI Radeon 8500'. Any other videocard type gives black background and other rendering glitches.
Also, cutscene movies unfortunately works only in windowed mode (tiny appearance in the middle of the window though), in fullscreen they results in blank screen (sound only).

So, what I did:
- Run dgVoodooCPL and select/add the folder of RE1 into its list
- On DirectX tab, select 'ATI Radeon 8500' from the videocard dropdown list
- Press 'OK'

Run NEWEUR.EXE in Win95 compatibility mode and aside from the blank screen for cutscenes the game should run properly. Ok, well, aside from some background rendering glitches (horizontal and vertical garbage lines).

You also have additional ways to go:

- Select a higher resolution on DirectX tab, and maybe MSAA to get improved appearance
- Disable 'Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state' and 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' options on DirectX tab, and select 'Windowed' mode on General tab to run the game in windowed mode. In this way you'll see the cutscenes and also be able to switch between fullscreen/windowed mode by Alt-Enter

Unfortunately, I still had the same issues, the backgrounds in the game wouldn't render, the stair case rails did though, and the character was fine.

Is the one with the box around the menu normal glitch or possible graphics card glitch? I took my laptop I just bought back, waiting for replacement, I got nervous it was a graphics card error.

thank you for getting back to me 😁!

Reply 8 of 15, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
letmelive wrote:

Unfortunately, I still had the same issues, the backgrounds in the game wouldn't render, the stair case rails did though, and the character was fine.

I found my RE1 CD and replicated the above error and the main menu error that you experienced. These glitches happened either when I did not set the Videocard to "ATI Radeon 8500" or when I forgot to set the config folder to the game folder. Most probably you forgot to set the config folder to the game folder.

Config folder is shown under the dgVoodoo logo of the control panel. You need to press ".\" button to set the config folder to game folder. Do this first and then set your videocard to "ATI Radeon 8500". dgVoodoo.conf file should be created next to the game executable when you save everything.

When I followed Dege's instructions (and correctly set the game folder and ATI Radeon 8500 Videocard per his instructions), the game worked fine. I also want to mention that I ran the game with "NEWEUR.EXE /blaster" or "NEWEUR.EXE /mystique" switches to enable to hardware acceleration. I did not see vertical garbage lines, but I only tested the first room.

Dege,

Is there a temporary solution that can make the videos play in fullscreen? The videos are encoded by Cinepak codec (fourcc: CVID) and Windows 7 uses "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.dll" codec file to play them.

I was able to force the game to play the videos through ffdshow by following the steps below:
1) installed "ffdshow tryouts" package
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryo … ad?source=files
2) I ran ffdshow VFW configuration through start menu. I clicked Decoder tab >> Codecs item on left >> find Cinepak on right >> changed Cinepak decoder from "disabled" to "libavcodec"
3) renamed "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.dll" to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.backup"
4) Created a duplicate copy of "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ff_vfw.dll" and named it to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.dll". In other words ff_vfw.dll and iccvid.dll in the SysWOW64 folder are the same ff_vfw.dll file installed by ffdshow tryouts.

Sadly, the videos did not display in fullscreen mode in Resident Evil 1, even when I played them through ffdshow. 🙁 They played fine in windowed mode through ffdshow. I still wanted to share the ffdshow method here, in case it can help you to come up with a solution to this problem.

Game looks great via dgVoodoo2. It is unfortunate that videos don't play in fullscreen mode.

Reply 9 of 15, by letmelive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoolGamer wrote:
I found my RE1 CD and replicated the above error and the main menu error that you experienced. These glitches happened either w […]
Show full quote
letmelive wrote:

I found my RE1 CD and replicated the above error and the main menu error that you experienced. These glitches happened either when I did not set the Videocard to "ATI Radeon 8500" or when I forgot to set the config folder to the game folder. Most probably you forgot to set the config folder to the game folder.

Config folder is shown under the dgVoodoo logo of the control panel. You need to press ".\" button to set the config folder to game folder. Do this first and then set your videocard to "ATI Radeon 8500". dgVoodoo.conf file should be created next to the game executable when you save everything.

When I followed Dege's instructions (and correctly set the game folder and ATI Radeon 8500 Videocard per his instructions), the game worked fine. I also want to mention that I ran the game with "NEWEUR.EXE /blaster" or "NEWEUR.EXE /mystique" switches to enable to hardware acceleration. I did not see vertical garbage lines, but I only tested the first room.

Dege,

Is there a temporary solution that can make the videos play in fullscreen? The videos are encoded by Cinepak codec (fourcc: CVID) and Windows 7 uses "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.dll" codec file to play them.

I was able to force the game to play the videos through ffdshow by following the steps below:
1) installed "ffdshow tryouts" package
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryo … ad?source=files
2) I ran ffdshow VFW configuration through start menu. I clicked Decoder tab >> Codecs item on left >> find Cinepak on right >> changed Cinepak decoder from "disabled" to "libavcodec"
3) renamed "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.dll" to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.backup"
4) Created a duplicate copy of "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ff_vfw.dll" and named it to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iccvid.dll". In other words ff_vfw.dll and iccvid.dll in the SysWOW64 folder are the same ff_vfw.dll file installed by ffdshow tryouts.

Sadly, the videos did not display in fullscreen mode in Resident Evil 1, even when I played them through ffdshow. 🙁 They played fine in windowed mode through ffdshow. I still wanted to share the ffdshow method here, in case it can help you to come up with a solution to this problem.

Game looks great via dgVoodoo2. It is unfortunate that videos don't play in fullscreen mode.

Oh wow, I need my laptop back so I can try this! and FFDSHOW, never heard of it, I will get that. Thanks guys, I will let you know son

Reply 10 of 15, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoolGamer wrote:
letmelive wrote:

Dege,

Unfortunately not... I think it's the good old GDI-problem.
Either I finish the development for supporting that or it'll never work. 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
CoolGamer wrote:
letmelive wrote:

Dege,

OK then, I look forward to GDI support. 😀

By the way, I discovered a bug in RE1 that only happens when the game's internal graphics card option is set to "Diamond Monster 3D" or "Orchid Righteous 3D". You can see the list of commands for all graphics cards if you run the game with "NEWEUR.exe /?" command.

There is an issue in video playback both in windowed and fullscreen modes via dgVoodoo WIP38 when I run the game by using the following commands "NEWEUR.exe /Monster" or "NEWEUR.exe /Righteous". I am using the official patch named "Resident Evil 1.0c (US ENG)". Once you use a graphics card mode command, it gets saved in game's registry settings and you don't have to specify it again unless you want to change the card mode.

In fullscreen mode, sometimes videos play in fullscreen but aspect ratio is lost (videos stretch to cover the whole screen) and dgVoodoo logo is not shown. Moreover, the game drops to desktop and pauses for a couple of seconds before switching back to fullscreen video playback. Sometimes the game just skips the videos.

In windowed mode, the game sometimes skips the videos. Most of the time videos play but they are cropped in half (they are not stretched to fullscreen, they are just cut off in half). I noticed that the title of the window changes from "Resident Evil" to "biovfw" during video playback.

It seems like the game uses a file named BIOVFWUS.BIN to play the videos in Monster and Righteous videocard modes. BIOVFWUS.BIN is actually an EXE file with BIN extension. It even runs natively in command prompt when you change the extension to EXE and gives pop up error messages (about missing mapping files). Of course I could not get it to play videos since I don't know the input arguments it takes.

Please take a look at this bug when you have time. Maybe if you can get dgVoodoo to play smoothly with Monster and Righteous modes of the game, it might be a temporary solution to get videos to play in fullscreen.

Reply 12 of 15, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
CoolGamer wrote:
letmelive wrote:

Dege,

That would be very good news, especially for RE2 on ATI hardware.

As for RE 1, I used Windows 95 compatibility mode and "DWM8And16BitMitigation" and it works fine on Windows 7/8/10. As long as the Rendition mode is used, at least (Display Driver = 6 in the game's registry settings).

On ATI hardware, I had to use ddrawCompat 0.2.1 (experimental release) on top for it to run, which contais this commit :
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/commit … eb97b5bb39f80d1

Alternatively, I tried it a little with the PCem emulator, which contains 3DFX vooodoo emulation. It works IIRC, but it is of course way more power-hungry than native.

Still, it would be very cool for it to work with dgVoodoo2. It would fix Alt-Tab support, for example.

Dgvoodoo is love, dgvoodoo is life ! 😁

Reply 13 of 15, by letmelive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, sorry for the delay, just got my laptop back.

the DGVOODOO will not allow me to save the file in the RESIDENT EVIL Folder - the Apply settings don't go grey to confirm the settings have be saved. Any ideas?

Reply 15 of 15, by letmelive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Try running the CPL in administrator mode.

If your game folder is somewhere under c:\program files\... then it may not able to write the config file there.

Thank you so much, this resolved my issues 😁 - now I can start modding 😁