VOGONS

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing through Syberia lately, and while it runs great with dgVoodoo2, I'd like to use SSAA to make the 3D models blend in better with the pre-rendered backgrounds (dgVoodoo2's AA is close, but not quite). As my current machine, a QHD laptop, has a bog-standard Intel HD Graphics 630, along with only USB 3.1 Gen1 (aka USB 3) ports, I can't actually do SSAA. As such, I was wondering how to achieve the following with the plain-text config files for dgVoodoo2:

1. Use the game's native resolution (or force it if need be)
  2. Have scaling accomplished by the driver.
  3. Use integer scaling to upscale the image, but scaling the result back down to the game's actual resolution. (e.g. SSAA)

If this is, in fact, possible, I'd like to see how to accomplish it.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SSAA is a brute force method of rendering everything at (say) 2x resolution along each axis and then downsampling the image by an averaging filter.

So, what could be done with dgVoodoo is the following chain:

game output at 2x/4x/ forced resolution ---> downsample image to game actual resolution by averaging (second part of SSAA) ---> upscale the result to desktop resolution if needed (for scaling modes done by the wrapper)

dgVoodoo is currently not able to do the 2nd step, the averaged downsampling, so unfortunately it's not possible with it alone. But I guess you can use ReShade for that (if, as you said, you don't want emulated scaling modes).

Reply 2 of 5, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also requested SSAA a while ago. I hope it gets implemented to dgVoodoo one day. 😀
Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

For now, how do we implemented SSAA by combining dgVoodoo and Reshade3? Is there an averaged downscaling method in reshade3? As far as I know there is no out of box SSAA effect in Reshade3 (only FXAA and SMAA).

Reply 3 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know for now...
Adding postprocess shaders to dgVoodoo wouldn't be that big deal since it are already have some.
But if I started to add special built-in ones then dgVoodoo would be moved into some kind of ReShade-functionality direction. 😀

BTW, Wouldn't SSAA also produce the same glitches as MSAA?
First step of SSAA is rendering the scene in higher resolution. This can already be done with dgVoodoo by resolution forcing but (can) causes glitches for 2d tiling, text and such. Averaging them into a lower resolution image wouldn't make them disappear completely.

Reply 4 of 5, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You read my mind about glitches. I was wondering if SSAA would get rid of garbage lines that appear in some games when MSAA is forced (such as Resident Evil series). It is sad, if SSAA is not a solution to those.

Is it possible to add an option to text based ini of dgVoodoo that allows driver control panel level antialiasing forcing? Something like "allowdriverAAoverride=true". This way we can use SSAA or other antialiasing modes (e.g. SGSSAA) that the driver allows in combination with dgVoodoo.

The problem is the following:
It is possible to force SSAA on games using Nvidia profile inspector when I choose the settings below. I tried this on Syberia Demo without dgVoodoo and it worked. I set in game antialiasing to off through game's internal menu.
Antialiasing Mode = Override any application setting
Antialiasing Setting = 4x4 [4x4 Supersampling (D3D only)]

But it does not work when dgVoodoo wrapper is active. I tried both "OFF" and "App driven" AA settings of dgVoodoo control panel. Nvidia Inspector just does not override it.

Reply 5 of 5, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoolGamer wrote:

For now, how do we implemented SSAA by combining dgVoodoo and Reshade3? Is there an averaged downscaling method in reshade3? As far as I know there is no out of box SSAA effect in Reshade3 (only FXAA and SMAA).

The closest thing I could find is this ReShade 3.x shader ported from RetroArch: https://github.com/Matsilagi/reshade-retroarc … solutionizer.fx

It allows specifying a custom resolution for downsampling...but even with the smoothing option, the result is similar to pixellating the image, rather than true SSAA.