VOGONS

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've encountered some strange behavior with a RPG Maker XP game called The Reconstruction using dgVoodoo2 WIP. While some of it's explained in the debug errors, like dgVoodoo2 not supporting NULL windows, other bits don't, like how it seems DirectDraw is disengaged:

[dgVoodoo] INFO: DirectDraw (0894C300) is released.

Does this thing use DirectX 7 and DirectX 9? Or am I misreading the debug message?

Also, what I'm finding strange is despite dgVoodoo2 clearly doing something, I can't hook anything into the resulting DX11 output (e.g. reshade). Any reason for that?

Attachments

• Filename
    dgv_debug_03202018.txt
    File size
    6.06 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DirectX7 + a newer DX (DX8/9) together is legit. For example, a DX8 game can utilize DirectShow as a video playback engine which relies on DirectDraw.
Altough this particular game is strange, looks like it merely wants to change the display mode through DirectDraw (that's why no window is feeded into DDraw) and then presumably continue rendering on DX9.

Isn't it something that ported from OpenGL? Pre-setting display mode for fullscreen OpenGL is an established custom.

Reply 2 of 2, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

DirectX7 + a newer DX (DX8/9) together is legit. For example, a DX8 game can utilize DirectShow as a video playback engine which relies on DirectDraw.
Altough this particular game is strange, looks like it merely wants to change the display mode through DirectDraw (that's why no window is feeded into DDraw) and then presumably continue rendering on DX9.

Isn't it something that ported from OpenGL? Pre-setting display mode for fullscreen OpenGL is an established custom.

You may be thinking of either EasyRPG or MKXP, both projects which aim to implement open-source replacements for various versions of RPG Maker..and happen to use OpenGL as their primary renderer. To my knowledge, The Reconstruction utilizes a standard version of RPG Maker, which utilizes DirectX exclusively.