VOGONS

First post, by Nicklaus18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New dgVoodoo2 user here. Thanks a bunch for making this! I play Links 2003 which will not detect my discrete Nvidia graphics card and is unplayable with only Intel graphics. I'm still testing, but overall the game seems to work great through dgVoodoo2. My question is: if I configure custom 3D settings for my game's EXE through the Nvidia control panel, will these settings be used when I play the game using the dgVoodoo2 wrapper? If not, is it possible to configure an Nvidia profile for the dgVoodoo2 wrapper itself? Thank you!

Last edited by Nicklaus18 on 2018-04-06, 16:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dgVoodoo renders a game as a DX11 one, so you can create a DX11 profile for that game, the nVidia driver will handle it (I'm not an expert of nVidia CPL profiles though).

There is a forum about how to create profiles for 3D Vision:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/8288 … comment=5250244

nVidia driver won't see (won't know) about dgVoodoo because it can only sense the game executable, so I'm afraid there is no way to create a general profile for dgVoodoo.

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicklaus18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, Dege! I've done some more testing, and I want to reiterate my thanks to you. Your wrapper is really going to extend the life of Links 2003. The game is now working great on my laptop with Intel and Nvidia graphics. Links 2003 usually has trouble utilizing the Nvidia cards in these systems, but the dgVoodoo2 wrapper is allowing the game to take full advantage of the Nvidia card.

I played several rounds last night, and the only graphical issue I've noticed is that the translucent golfer shadow disappears. If I choose the opaque shadow option, it does display correctly, but the translucent shadow seems to appear briefly before disappearing beneath the golfer. I tried experimenting with the dgVoodoo2 settings, but nothing affected the golfer shadow. This issue is very minor compared to when the game tries to run on Intel-only graphics and won't prevent me from enjoying the game. If you have the time to look into it, there is a Links 2003 playable demo here: https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-trial-version. I'm not entirely sure how well that works on Windows 7/8/10 as it doesn't have the patches that the full game has.

For any Links 2003 googlers that stumble across this, I wanted to explain a few things about my original Nvidia control panel question. As you probably know, Links 2003 looks best when anisotropic filtering is turned on, preferably up to 16x. Turning this on for Links 2003 is normally done by creating an Nvidia/ATI/AMD control panel profile for LinksMMIII.exe and setting anisotropic filtering to 16x. I was concerned that the dgVoodoo2 wrapper wouldn't honor my profile for LinksMMIII.exe, but I was able to confirm that it absolutely does honor my Nvidia control panel profile, and the visual difference between no AF and 16x AF was very apparent. Presumably, this should work for ATI/AMD as well.

Reply 3 of 3, by redmist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2018-04-05, 18:05:
dgVoodoo renders a game as a DX11 one, so you can create a DX11 profile for that game, the nVidia driver will handle it (I'm not […]
Show full quote

dgVoodoo renders a game as a DX11 one, so you can create a DX11 profile for that game, the nVidia driver will handle it (I'm not an expert of nVidia CPL profiles though).

There is a forum about how to create profiles for 3D Vision:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/8288 … comment=5250244

nVidia driver won't see (won't know) about dgVoodoo because it can only sense the game executable, so I'm afraid there is no way to create a general profile for dgVoodoo.

I've been enjoying Links 2003 with dgVoodoo for quite a while now but unfortunately it no longer works after upgrading to an Intel 12th gen (Core i7 12700F Alder Lake) CPU. I'm still using the nVidia RTX 2060 Super that I was using with my previous Ryzen system. I've tried disabling E-Cores, disabling virtualization and a slew of other BIOS settings. I'm using a fresh install of Windows 11 with DirectPlay and DirectX installed but I even tried installing Windows 10 but no luck. It's not just a dgVoodoo issue - Links 2003 only works about every fifth time that I run it and only if I manually set the game resolution to 1080p via the registry. With dgVoodoo installed, it never runs. It just tries to open a window and either freezes or crashes. My Ryzen 3000 and old i7 6700K systems work just fine with Links 2003 and dgVoodoo with the RTX 2060 Super - even in Windows 11.
I tried Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 with dgVoodoo and it's fine. For some reason, Links 2003 really doesn't like my Core i7 12700f CPU.