WinG

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

WinG

Postby IMeganElisabeth » 2018-4-12 @ 14:17

I’m wanting to implement DgVoodoo to a game with wing32.dll. Will this work or too different from DirectX/Glide?
IMeganElisabeth
Newbie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: 2018-2-10 @ 14:10

Re: WinG

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-4-13 @ 01:59

WinG is a completely different library so software that use WinG use completely different API calls than software that use DirectX/Glide. DgVoodoo has wrappers only for DirectX/Glide. So it simply will not work.
User avatar
Falcosoft
Oldbie
 
Posts: 556
Joined: 2016-5-21 @ 13:46
Location: Pécs, Hungary

Re: WinG

Postby IMeganElisabeth » 2018-4-13 @ 02:16

Falcosoft wrote:WinG is a completely different library so software that use WinG use completely different API calls than software that use DirectX/Glide. DgVoodoo has wrappers only for DirectX/Glide. So it simply will not work.


You simply have no idea how much I greatly appreciate your response. I was leaning towards thinking this. However, Instead you’ve saved me from wasting so much time trying to get something to work that has absolutely no potential to. Are there currently any wrappers that will wrap WinG to DirectX or does this not exist?
IMeganElisabeth
Newbie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: 2018-2-10 @ 14:10

Re: WinG

Postby Falcosoft » 2018-4-13 @ 09:41

Wing is originated from the late 16-bit Win3x era. The 32-bit version of WinG (Wing32.dll) is actually only a wrapper around native Win32 API calls since the (at the time) new Win32 API supports all the functionality that required special drivers on 16-bit Win3x. WinG is nothing more than a DIB support library. Since software using (even indirectly) only the Win32 API much less likely break on new Windows than titles using old Directx versions, there is/was not much need to wrap WinG. Also development of software using WinG practically stopped when DirectX was released so there cannot be many problematic titles anyway. Thus I do not think such a wrapper exists.
User avatar
Falcosoft
Oldbie
 
Posts: 556
Joined: 2016-5-21 @ 13:46
Location: Pécs, Hungary

Re: WinG

Postby IMeganElisabeth » 2018-4-14 @ 01:08

Falcosoft wrote:Wing is originated from the late 16-bit Win3x era. The 32-bit version of WinG (Wing32.dll) is actually only a wrapper around native Win32 API calls since the (at the time) new Win32 API supports all the functionality that required special drivers on 16-bit Win3x. WinG is nothing more than a DIB support library. Since software using (even indirectly) only the Win32 API much less likely break on new Windows than titles using old Directx versions, there is/was not much need to wrap WinG. Also development of software using WinG practically stopped when DirectX was released so there cannot be many problematic titles anyway. Thus I do not think such a wrapper exists.


Thank you so much for explaining the history of it. It sounds as if it worked pretty well for its purpose at the time albeit short lived. I doubt there are many titles at all that used it since DirectX took over so soon afterwards. I agree with you now that I know it’s purpose/lifespan. Thanks again.
IMeganElisabeth
Newbie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: 2018-2-10 @ 14:10

Re: WinG

Postby antrad » 2018-4-14 @ 23:45

IMeganElisabeth wrote:Thank you so much for explaining the history of it. It sounds as if it worked pretty well for its purpose at the time albeit short lived. I doubt there are many titles at all that used it since DirectX took over so soon afterwards. I agree with you now that I know it’s purpose/lifespan. Thanks again.


Wikipedai has a short list of titles using it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinG
User avatar
antrad
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2018-2-18 @ 22:36

Re: WinG

Postby IMeganElisabeth » 2018-4-15 @ 00:45

antrad wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:Thank you so much for explaining the history of it. It sounds as if it worked pretty well for its purpose at the time albeit short lived. I doubt there are many titles at all that used it since DirectX took over so soon afterwards. I agree with you now that I know it’s purpose/lifespan. Thanks again.


Wikipedai has a short list of titles using it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinG


Thanks so much!! Mine isn’t on there surprisngly but I’m sure there aren’t that many more that implement it.
IMeganElisabeth
Newbie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: 2018-2-10 @ 14:10


Return to dgVoodoo General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest