VOGONS

WinG

Topic actions

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m wanting to implement DgVoodoo to a game with wing32.dll. Will this work or too different from DirectX/Glide?

Reply 1 of 6, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinG is a completely different library so software that use WinG use completely different API calls than software that use DirectX/Glide. DgVoodoo has wrappers only for DirectX/Glide. So it simply will not work.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

WinG is a completely different library so software that use WinG use completely different API calls than software that use DirectX/Glide. DgVoodoo has wrappers only for DirectX/Glide. So it simply will not work.

You simply have no idea how much I greatly appreciate your response. I was leaning towards thinking this. However, Instead you’ve saved me from wasting so much time trying to get something to work that has absolutely no potential to. Are there currently any wrappers that will wrap WinG to DirectX or does this not exist?

Reply 3 of 6, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wing is originated from the late 16-bit Win3x era. The 32-bit version of WinG (Wing32.dll) is actually only a wrapper around native Win32 API calls since the (at the time) new Win32 API supports all the functionality that required special drivers on 16-bit Win3x. WinG is nothing more than a DIB support library. Since software using (even indirectly) only the Win32 API much less likely break on new Windows than titles using old Directx versions, there is/was not much need to wrap WinG. Also development of software using WinG practically stopped when DirectX was released so there cannot be many problematic titles anyway. Thus I do not think such a wrapper exists.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Wing is originated from the late 16-bit Win3x era. The 32-bit version of WinG (Wing32.dll) is actually only a wrapper around native Win32 API calls since the (at the time) new Win32 API supports all the functionality that required special drivers on 16-bit Win3x. WinG is nothing more than a DIB support library. Since software using (even indirectly) only the Win32 API much less likely break on new Windows than titles using old Directx versions, there is/was not much need to wrap WinG. Also development of software using WinG practically stopped when DirectX was released so there cannot be many problematic titles anyway. Thus I do not think such a wrapper exists.

Thank you so much for explaining the history of it. It sounds as if it worked pretty well for its purpose at the time albeit short lived. I doubt there are many titles at all that used it since DirectX took over so soon afterwards. I agree with you now that I know it’s purpose/lifespan. Thanks again.

Reply 5 of 6, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

Thank you so much for explaining the history of it. It sounds as if it worked pretty well for its purpose at the time albeit short lived. I doubt there are many titles at all that used it since DirectX took over so soon afterwards. I agree with you now that I know it’s purpose/lifespan. Thanks again.

Wikipedai has a short list of titles using it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinG

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 6 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antrad wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

Wikipedai has a short list of titles using it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinG

Thanks so much!! Mine isn’t on there surprisngly but I’m sure there aren’t that many more that implement it.