VOGONS

First post, by Selfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I've tried to run Sea Dogs on win 10 64 bit with gtx 1080ti, using Dg voodoo 2.55 to run it. The game doesn't work, process says it's running but nothing happens, just a black screen. I've also tried many different versions of dg voodoo, some other utilities, compatibility mode. However it's still the same. I've just seen a lot of black screens and error messages. Without Dg voodoo and other changes game is playable, but there are some annoying graphic lags. Maybe someone knows what is the problem...Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game suffers from the problem of 'DirectDraw loaded through OLE'. Both native and dgVoodoo DDraw gets loaded by the game and they conflicts.

You can resolve the problem by (technical)
Re: Tech demos - general discussion

I did that and now it runs fine apart from intro videos not showing up, and Main menu having bad frame rate because Windows detects the game as a windowed DDraw-one and puts its own compatibility-layer on top of dgVoodoo's DDraw.
If that one could somehow be made disabled (apphelp.dll) for this game then it'd run just fine.

Reply 2 of 2, by Selfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
This game suffers from the problem of 'DirectDraw loaded through OLE'. Both native and dgVoodoo DDraw gets loaded by the game an […]
Show full quote

This game suffers from the problem of 'DirectDraw loaded through OLE'. Both native and dgVoodoo DDraw gets loaded by the game and they conflicts.

You can resolve the problem by (technical)
Re: Tech demos - general discussion

I did that and now it runs fine apart from intro videos not showing up, and Main menu having bad frame rate because Windows detects the game as a windowed DDraw-one and puts its own compatibility-layer on top of dgVoodoo's DDraw.
If that one could somehow be made disabled (apphelp.dll) for this game then it'd run just fine.

Thank you very much! It really works. I deleted all references to engine.exe that seemed strange to me and
restricted access to some registry keys in Windows Registry and main menu is also working fine now.