Need for Speed 5: Porsche 2000/Unleashed

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

Re: Need for Speed 5: Porsche 2000/Unleashed

Postby XJDHDR » 2018-8-14 @ 07:29

One thing I kept forgetting to ask is if anyone is using any unofficial patches for this game. I personally am using the NFS5 Essentials patch and the NFSPU Widescreen Graphics hack.

BMickey wrote:Yes, I forgot vertex option in the report. But it's just not looking the same, projected is superior.

It sounds like it is but I haven't really compared the two so I can't say for sure.

Btw, how did you manage to make the main menu run at a different resolution and in 32-bit colour?
XJDHDR

Postby BMickey » 2018-8-15 @ 19:59

Yes, I use exactly the same minus WS hack. I set "Windows 7 compatibility" to get full LOD car models and textures (CPU speed check) w/o UAC confirmation - additional dialog which I don't like and always try to avoid; it is said to set "Win XP compat" but it shows UAC confirmation. Unfortunately something has to be set, without it - only low quality textures/models. I also use small 'gimme.dll' (5120 bytes) to avoid 'pic16.fsh' crash, which I got very occasionally when I started using DG+NFS5 recently (after 2.55.3 fixes).

I force resolution in DG CPL for main menu, and set the same resolution in options for gameplay mode, no conflicts. I attached my 'dgVoodoo.conf' used (DX mode).
dgVoodoo.conf
(11.12 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

I also use 4x MSAA (set in DG CPL) together with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (set in nVidia Profile Inspector), for highest quality possible.
Last edited by BMickey on 2018-8-19 @ 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
BMickey

Postby XJDHDR » 2018-8-17 @ 20:12

I did some more research and apparently, the Glide lighting issue I reported in my previous post is not a bug in dgVoodoo. I found this thread on the nGlide forum where someone reported the white textures/lighting problem and nGlide's developer replied that this problem is present in the original 3DFX hardware as well. The flickering still seems to be a problem with dgVoodoo.
No 32-bit colour, limited resolution options and now this lighting bug. I'm starting to wonder why anyone would use the Glide API with this game at all. Also, the game seems to use the Glide 3 API rather than Glide 2 as I previously claimed.

BMickey wrote:I set "Windows 7 compatibility" to get full LOD car models and textures (CPU speed check) w/o UAC confirmation - additional dialog which I don't like and always try to avoid; it is said to set "Win XP compat" but it shows UAC confirmation. Unfortunately something has to be set, without it - only low quality textures/models.

Didn't know about this quirk. If I try this for myself, what should I look for to make sure I'm experiencing this bug because the only low quality bug I'm aware of is fixed by the NFS5 Essentials patch.

BMickey wrote:I also use small 'gimme.dll' (5120 bytes) to avoid 'pic16.fsh' crash, which I got very occasionally when I started using DG+NFS5 recently (after 2.55.3 fixes).

I was wondering where you got this DLL from but after looking around, I'm assuming that you are using this unofficial patch hosted on the nGlide website rather than NFS5 Essentials. It also explains how you got the main menu in 32-bit colour.

BMickey wrote:I force resolution in DG CPL for main menu, and set the same resolution in options for gameplay mode, no conflicts. I attached my 'dgVoodoo.conf' used (DX mode).
dgVoodoo.conf

I also use 4x MSAA (set in DG CPL) together with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (set in nVidia Profile Inspector), for highest possible quality.

That is pretty much what I thought you were doing to get higher resolutions. I was mainly interested in the 32-bit colour menu.
XJDHDR

Postby BMickey » 2018-8-19 @ 23:25

XJDHDR wrote:I did some more research and apparently, the Glide lighting issue I reported in my previous post is not a bug in dgVoodoo. I found this thread on the nGlide forum where someone reported the white textures/lighting problem and nGlide's developer replied that this problem is present in the original 3DFX hardware as well. The flickering still seems to be a problem with dgVoodoo.
No 32-bit colour, limited resolution options and now this lighting bug. I'm starting to wonder why anyone would use the Glide API with this game at all. Also, the game seems to use the Glide 3 API rather than Glide 2 as I previously claimed.

I don't know why they use Glide for this game. I always use DX7 here and it is better, didn't have many problems with DX7, let alone running on 4 GB VRAM (solved then by DxWnd). But I also didn't have projected headlights issue with DxWnd or native.
There was similar issue with MDK D3D,
Mdk_dx_white_tex.jpg
but it was solved by running software/3dfx version or, eventually, with dgVoodoo (initially only original low resolution, although I waited for long for dgVoodoo supporting forcing resolutions in DirectX mode just for this game - using Glide clearly missed 512x512 texture option in the menu).
So I think DG could fix this at some point (for DX7 mode) I guess.

XJDHDR wrote:Didn't know about this quirk. If I try this for myself, what should I look for to make sure I'm experiencing this bug because the only low quality bug I'm aware of is fixed by the NFS5 Essentials patch.

Even patched, it still needs some compatibility to be set (in Win7 x64 I use); difference as requested:
LOW
Porsche_low_lod_.jpg
vs. HIGH
Porsche_high_lod_.jpg

XJDHDR wrote:I was wondering where you got this DLL from but after looking around, I'm assuming that you are using this unofficial patch hosted on the nGlide website rather than NFS5 Essentials. It also explains how you got the main menu in 32-bit colour.

This package is repacked one (minus Porsche.sdb) found here http://www.iplounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2370.
But I don't use every fix. I don't use exe file because it cannot display movies for me and also disables steering after crossing finish line, where latter is a deal breaker for me. I've also tried additional hex fixes included (described), but I don't know what is "B button fix" for, I have some choppiness with "Lens flare fix" (even though it really fixes lens flare) and, as far as I checked (screenshot comparison), 32-bit hex changes are not needed - dgVoodoo is changing everything to 32-bit, which is great.
BMickey

Postby Dege » 2018-8-28 @ 10:28

I can only reproduce the projected light problem if I set 'DepthBuffersBitDepth' to forcemin24bit (DX output).
This is exactly the same problem I encountered in NFS3 (Glide), that's why I introduced option '16 bit depth buffer' for Glide back then.

This is z-fighting which is suppressed by a real 16 bit z-buffer.
Dege
Oldbie

Postby BMickey » 2018-8-28 @ 20:21

I've just tested all options: "appdriven", "forcemin24bit", "force32bit" in DX output and projected lights are N/G.
Next I changed graphics mode from 32-bit to 16-bit - no projected lights issue; but as you said - setting "forcemin24bit" or "force32bit" gives the problem back.
So when the game is running native (projected lights never had issues for me and I always used 32-bit mode) it is using 16-bit Z-buffer? So why "appdriven" in 32-bit mode doesn't give 16-bit Z-buffer too?
Is providing "force 16-bit Z-buffer" setting in DX an option here?
BMickey

Postby Dege » 2018-9-02 @ 14:47

How can you set a 32 bit mode? I can only see 16 bit ones in the list.
Dege
Oldbie

Postby BMickey » 2018-9-03 @ 22:20

What version do you use? I use NFS5 Essentials patch.
It is known issue with all plenty of modes not fitting the list in vanilla.
BMickey

Postby Dege » 2018-9-04 @ 09:49

Thanks!
I can only make 32bit resolutions appear in the graphics options list if I enable only 32 bit ones to be enumerated (through dgVoodoo).
Indeed, z-fighting comes with default Z-buffer bit depth.
I still cannot run the game natively though (Win10 1803).

If there are rendering quality differences between 16/32 color modes then I consider adding 'force16bit' as a new value for the Z-buffer bit depth option.
Dege
Oldbie

Postby Googolplex » 2018-9-16 @ 20:16

Hi,
I'm the creator of the "Complete Patch" found on iplounge forum. This patch works fine and I gave it to the nGlide developer who just changed the .sdb file. I don't like the control after finish "feature" from the original Enhanced patch, so I removed it. But the exe fixes everything what's actually possible, even the light bug, lens flare, driver stuttering and low res textures. Play the game with nGlide instead of dgVoodoo. Nothing against Dege, but nGlide works very fine for NFS PU. I use dgVoodoo for games that does not support Glide mode.

If you have questions about the game and the patch, ask me. I could also give you the hex changes to add control after finish.
Googolplex

Previous

Return to dgVoodoo General