VOGONS

First post, by pepiczech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some issues when playing NFS II SE on my notebook.
The glide version (nfs2sea.exe) doesn't work with my Intel GPU (specs below) that is selected automatically when "Adapter(s) to use / enable" is set to "All of them". The game freezes after 3dfx logo and can be terminated only using task manager.
When I choose Nvidia, the game works but it's always only windowed, no matter what. When I choose fullscreen, then 3dfx logo and game is windowed, when I choose windowed, then the dfx logo is fullscreen and the game is windowed. The game works fine with nglide (The game is patched to support new versions of Windows).
The other version (NFS2SEN.EXE) can be played in fullscreen with no problems. But only with Intel, nvidia doesn't work at all. It just doesn't start at all, only shows black screen for a fracture of second and nothing happens.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ
GPU1: Intel HD 4600
GPU2: nvidia geforce GT 740M (latest drivers - 398.11)
RAM: 16 GB
dgvoodoo 2.55.2 with d3dcompiler_47.dll
Windows 8.1 64bit

Reply 1 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What happens when you explicitly select your nVidia in the 'Adapters to use/enable' combobox along with selecting its display output in 'Full Screen Ouput' (instead of 'default')?

I guess the game remains windowed because its window pops up on the primary display but Intel is (virtually?) attached to another output and because of that it can't go into fullscreen on your primary monitor.
At least, the situation is that for me. I've just quick tested NFSIISE on an Intel HD 4600 and it worked perfectly for me.
(That chip is a bit too old though, I remember having problems with it. My driver version for that is 20.19.15.4835.)

Reply 2 of 13, by ggms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege,
you changed something in 2.55+ versions in dgVoodoo and NFS2SE don't work anymore with glide2x.dll.
Results of my testing (nVidia GTX 1070, Win7 x64 + needed compatibility modes), clean dgVoodoo configuration (deleted dgVoodoo.conf before starting game):
version 2.54 - works perfectly, everytime
version 2.55 - works but crashes on exit
version 2.55.1 AND 2.55.2 - same thing like pepiczech, freezes before opening intro movie
It is definitely problem with 2.55.1 and 2.55.2 glide2x.dll versions. Don't know what is changed but NFS2SE do not like it and it works perfect with 2.54 version.
P.S. As I said, works on plain 2.55 version also but for some reason crashes on exit, 2.54 does not.

EDIT: tried on different PC, Win 10 x64, nVidia GTX 670, same black screen hang on startup. NFS2SE is definitely broken in dgVoodoo 2.55.x

Last edited by ggms on 2018-06-18, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by pepiczech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for reply.
There is only "default", no other option is avaiable.
I updated my drivers to 15.36.34.4889 and it's still the same.
I don't really care about the intel chip, but what should I do with the nvidia? One version of game work only with intel, the other one only with nvidia and windowed.

Also thanks for the info about older versions.

Attachments

• voodoo.png
    Filename
    voodoo.png
    File size
    38.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's really strange because I too tried it on my other machine with dual-GPU and everything worked just fine with 2.55.2.
(There were no changes in Glide in 2.55.1 and 2.55.2 compared to 2.55)

NFS2EA imports both Glide and DirectDraw. Don't you have a ddraw.dll in the game folder from a previous dgVoodoo version?
That could explain the blank screen after startup because dgVoodoo components with different versions don't work together (e.g. grSstWinOpen just returns with an error in such a case).

Anyway, could you plz set the tracing level to 2 manually in dgVoodoo.conf and attach an output log from the debug version of dgVoodoo?

Reply 5 of 13, by ggms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

NFS2EA imports both Glide and DirectDraw. Don't you have a ddraw.dll in the game folder from a previous dgVoodoo version?

No, but that's it! Problem is not in glide2x.dll of dgVoodoo 2.55.x but in ddraw.dll from 2.55.x. I always copied both glide2x.dll AND ddraw.dll to NFS2SE game dir...after reading your post I tried deleting dgVoodoo 2.55.2 ddraw.dll from game dir and leaving glide2x.dll only, started Glide game version and everything was working! 😎 (NOTE: after choosing to exit game I had to click again on black screen *sometimes* to exit to desktop)
In 2.54 this problem does not exist (you can put booth 2.54 glide2x.dll and ddraw.dll in game dir and the game will work, both versions..nfs2sea.exe and nfs2sen.exe).

Dege wrote:

Anyway, could you plz set the tracing level to 2 manually in dgVoodoo.conf and attach an output log from the debug version of dgVoodoo?

I downloaded and used dgVoodoo2_55_2_dbg.zip, set tracing level to 2, but got nothing in DebugView after running game..I never used debug version so I'm probably missing something here.. :\ ..but I think you can produce problem on your machine now, knowing that new ddraw.dll is creating problem for Glide version 😖

Thanks Dege,
regards

Last edited by ggms on 2018-06-19, 09:56. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by pepiczech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried both versions of game running in debug and I have the logs for both adapters.
Looks like you were right and the nvidia does't see any displays (in ddraw).
I have only the latest versions of ddraw.dll in the folder.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• Filename
    intel-glide.log
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Downloads
    70 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    nvidia-glide.LOG
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    nvidia-ddraw.log
    File size
    2.22 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    intel-ddraw.log
    File size
    857.92 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license

Reply 8 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately not. It just works for me with or without DDraw.
Yes, could you plz attach your log to compare that with pepiczech's? Maybe I could figure out something.

@Pepiczech: does the game work for you without DDraw.dll?

Reply 9 of 13, by ggms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally figured out why debug did not worked for me...in my compatibility .sdb I used IgnoreDebugOutput for both .exes 😵 Maybe you could mention this on your instructions for debug version Dege, could save some people pulling their hair out why debug is blank.. Anyway, here's my log files, two when starting nfs2sea.exe without dgVoodoo 2.55.2 ddraw.dll present and two with both ddraw and glide2x present. Two because I used filter in DebugView with *dgVoodoo* and other two without filtering. NOTE: I cut out middle (not important in this case) part of glide2x_nofilter.LOG (that's the one without ddraw, working glide2x) to make it smaller. Also in all instances I ended nfs2sea.exe task after EA intro was shown because from that point game is working, no need for debug logging (hoping no regression bug creeps in after that..). For case that game locks with black screen (glide2x+ddraw) this is the only option since game can only be ended with end task (and with keyboard only, mouse was not working for me in task manager in this case).

Hoping that this helps you out what went different in 2.55 from 2.54 for this game, thank you Dege
Regards

P.S. System is nVidia GTX 1070, x64, 16GB

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x+ddraw_nofilter.LOG
    File size
    7.89 KiB
    Downloads
    70 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    glide2x+ddraw.LOG
    File size
    2.22 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    glide2x_nofilter.LOG
    File size
    8.37 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    glide2x.LOG
    File size
    1.23 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license

Reply 11 of 13, by ggms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This "NFS2SE (Glide/3dfx version) locks with black screen before video" problem is partially fixed with 2.55.3 version 😎

Game now works with both dgVoodoo 2.55.3 glide2x.dll AND ddraw.dll in game dir BUT:
- on Glide tab in dgVoodoo config you have to select "Max" in Resolution otherwise nfs2sea.exe will crash before video 😕 (and leave process running)
- nfs2sea.exe will always crash on exit to system! (NOTE: if ddraw.dll is NOT present or "Disable and passthru to real DirectX" is selected crash will NOT occur)

P.S. you can always select "Disable and passthru to real DirectX" and 3dfx version will work perfectly but with that config regular nfs2se.exe will crash. Yes, you can play like that, flip that config everytime for different exe but that's not really the point in my opinion...

Reply 12 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I think the "partial fix" is due to the fixed regression bug related to adapter handling.
However NFSII never crashes for me before the videos, no matter what settings I try it with.

The only crash I was able to reproduce is DDraw+Glide combo at game exit. It indeed crashes, as it does with 2.54 too.
Unfortunately it's an internal problem that I cannot fix in 2.55 but only in a future (next) version. Maybe this thing causes the crash for you before entering the game menu, for some weird reason.

Reply 13 of 13, by pepiczech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested the new version and Intel works fine, even with ddraw.dll in the folder. Except for the crash when exitting game.
Nvidia is still same, no difference for me. Except now when I select windowed mode for glide version, the 3dfx logo is no longer fulscreen, it's windowed as it should. (it flashes briefly in fulscreen but gets back to windowed)
The crash while exitting game occurs only with Intel, nvidia exits just fine.