VOGONS

First post, by KingKenny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I recently rediscovered dgVoodoo 2 and tried using it for the game Aliens vs Predator 2 (2001). I had tremendous results with it and felt I should share.

I made a tutorial video for other AvP2 players as a guide on how to install it. I'm sure it can customized more in the control panel, but it is a rough guide for the novice using it for the first time. Sometimes if configure the settings too high, the game will freeze at launch, so I try to keep it simple.

I can already tell this will have similar results on other Lithtech 2.0 - Talon games as I encounter almost the same graphical bugs on those games too when not running dgVoodoo 2.

I've included before and after gameplay in the video, so take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BauFpoxQpg

My fps jumps to around 47 or so with dgVoodoo 2. Without it, my fps was hovering around 17 and was sometimes unplayable. This is all at 1920x1080 resolution as in the video. The video has fps capped at 30 so it might not be as obvious.

One issue with the wrapper is that sometimes my cursor will briefly appear during gameplay. However, the video capture never picks this up. I'm not sure if there is a way to prevent this but it is not a deal breaker by any means.

If anyone cares to know my computer specs, it is the following:

Windows 8.1
CPU: Intel i7 2.2 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 750M and Intel HD 4600
Ram: 16 GB

Dege, if you read this. THANKS A LOT! I make a bunch of mods for the game to this day, so this helps me big time. If anyone cares to see them, they are here: http://kingskins.avpunknown.com/

If further testing is needed, I'm willing to help out.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi! Thanks, nice video!

However IIRC I had some issues (framerate drop) with AvP2 last time I tried it because dynamic lighting is implemented in an... 'interesting way' in LithTech engine (when running on DX7).

Reply 4 of 5, by FANTOMAS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Firtasik wrote:

Yes, it seems that dynamic lighting is very demanding in this game, especially at higher resolutions. The beauty of Lith. 😵

It is just a bug.....I should not have any frame drop on my config even at 3840x2180 (DSR 4X) dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Config : ASUS PRIME H270 PRO / CORE i7-7700/ 16 GB DDR2400 / MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1 @391.01/ Moniteur @1080p ...WINDOWS 10 64 bits V1803 @17134.191

Reply 5 of 5, by yetanothervogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed that with dgvoodoo 2.53 I get considerably better performance than with later versions.
If there are multiple dynamic light sources, like when you throw a couple of flares, fps don't fall below 30fps. Whereas with 2.63 they can go down to 10fps.

Besides there is a graphical glitch with the alien health bar sprite (see attached image, no msaa activated), that also doesn't happen with dgvoodoo 2.53.

Another problem with all dgvoodoo versions I've tried is that after alt-tabbing back into the game, the mouse doesn't work anymore in the menus.

ps: my system: ryzen 1600, gtx 1080, windows 7 x64

Attachments