VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get fresh screenshots of the text showing the text corrupt on the main screen, and all subsequent screens but now it wont even start in 4K. The dgVoodoo 2 causes the game to make the screen go black as if it tries to initialize fullscreen multiple times before it finally displays one frame of the PSOBB main screen then it goes black.

The start time is really extended due to it not quickly setting fullscreen.

Going to switch to window mode and take some fresh screen shots of the text on AMD.

Reply 21 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
psobb_text_corrupt2.jpg
Filename
psobb_text_corrupt2.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
psobb_text_corrupt.jpg
Filename
psobb_text_corrupt.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

had to switch to window mode. fullscreen don't work at all on my AMD rig - 4K starts sometimes, locks othertimes, independent of the DPI popup.

text rendering properly example:

psobb-amd-reshade-propertext.jpg
Filename
psobb-amd-reshade-propertext.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by todd on 2018-08-30, 02:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright I replicated the startup issue on nVidia too.

So first launch or four it worked.

Then I returned to the system an hour later and it locked to a black screen the same as the AMD rig.

I am running it at 720p instead of 1080p. Next setting res back to 1080p to see if I can replicate.

Reply 23 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this the kind of issue DllMain games have?

Oh by the way the ReShade DirectX8 to DirectX9 wrapper is also twice or more as fast. The game lags badly at 4K for me with dg Voodoo 2 if you get it running. No lag at all with ReShade one.

Reply 25 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just trying to help you work on your broken wrapper.

Always nice to have alternatives and competitors.

Also it is possible dg Voodoo 2 has some different things worth using but not sure. Looking at rendering differences.

You intend to grow your product so why not work on DG Voodoo 2 and make it faster and more functional?

I was amazed to find the ReShade myself after first using the ENB DirectX8 to DirectX9 one. ENB also suffers from extreme performance issues so I was used to it for about a year. Then I found ReShade - all the performance kinks fixed.

Anyway dg Voodoo 2 stills looks interesting for other games too should it ever be needed.

Reply 26 of 33, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:
That was the popup I was talking about earlier. It's about the DPI setting, not the resolution setting, which again might correl […]
Show full quote
todd wrote:
pso131786219660998651.jpg

here's some screen shots of the windows 10 popup

That was the popup I was talking about earlier. It's about the DPI setting, not the resolution setting, which again might correlate with a resolution change, but that's not what the popup is telling you about. It's also possible in the notification to tell it to not appear again, so why don't you try that if you believe that's the problem? I don't think it is, I think this is the problem:

WARNING: Direct3DCreate8: Attempt to access Direct3D8 from DllMain. Application may need to be modified or patched to use with dgVoodoo.

Fairly sure Dege's position is that he doesn't support games that use DllMain. Maybe post about it here:
DllMain Thread
It's weird that it occasionally works though.

Actually, DllMain works for cases with DX11 been already initialized when DllMain gets called. dgVoodoo doesn't touch DX11 backend in such cases and so it works. That's why it's only a WARNING and not an ERROR.

This game btw works fine for me with dgVoodoo since I fixed the mipmapping incompatibility long ago.

Reply 28 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

with dg voodoo 2- yeah it's very random, intermittent. it might work fine entirely during one session, then not allow PSOBB to start the next session, or third, and then not work at all. reboot and stop trying for awhile and it works again.

odd to hear reshade not working. you using the latest DLL?

I use the 1.9.1 version from : github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases

Reply 29 of 33, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
todd wrote:

with dg voodoo 2- yeah it's very random, intermittent. it might work fine entirely during one session, then not allow PSOBB to start the next session, or third, and then not work at all. reboot and stop trying for awhile and it works again.

odd to hear reshade not working. you using the latest DLL?

I use the 1.9.1 version from : github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases

Yes using the latest version. I don't particularly care I just installed the game to see if I had the text issue, which you already figured out is AMD specific.

Reply 31 of 33, by todd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MS WARP does not start fullscreen. But text seems fine. See attached graphic with game settings at 4K fullscreen:

psobb-ms-warp-renderer.png
Filename
psobb-ms-warp-renderer.png
File size
792.43 KiB
Views
File license

was able to set switchable graphics to Intel chip (power save) and text is fine.

set it back to maximum performance (AMD) and text is gone.

Reply 32 of 33, by GenericHero8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to report that an old version of dgvoodoo the text works for me -- specifically 2.54. but lighting is messed up in the lobby. 2.55 does not have the lighting issue, but also does have the block text.

As described previously in this topic, on the newest version currently (2.55.4.1) it does not work on my AMD gpu -- but my laptop with hybrid graphics (intel and nvidia), it does work. Something screwy is afoot

Reply 33 of 33, by GenericHero8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like this is solved by WIP58 -- I didn't try it before because it looked like it might have been the same version as the release due to the same release date -- this was not the case. Thanks Dege!