VOGONS

DgVoodoo 1 Discussion Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 260 of 341, by TomB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After doing some research, hiding the taskbar seems to fix it, I just made a really simple C# app to test it.

hWnd = FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", "");
ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_HIDE);

Of course it needs to be shown again after playing 😜

Admittedly, this is more of a workaround than a fix but it does work 😀

Reply 261 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, but I've found another solution. If I create a maximized window without border and caption then Windows treats the application as a fullscreen app and automatically hides the taskbar when that window is the active one. 😀 I'm going to build it in dgv.

Reply 263 of 341, by TomB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Dege,
I've been using dgVoodoo to play Carmageddon 2 (windows 3dfx glide mode) but there are some minor, but odd problems which can be removed by switching from DX7 to DX9.

In DX7 there is one small problem. It all works great until you pick up the "Pedestrians Shown on Map" powerup the dots show fine on the minimap but on the full map they're just not there. This doesn't really affect most levels, but there are a couple of missions which use this feature and I can't complete them (it also makes winning levels by killing all the peds really difficult 😜)

In DX9 there's a strange problem with some 2d elements. The menu mainly, there is a strange effect where the background goes black and whenever you move the mouse cursor it stays there and flashes so you end up with hundreds of quickly flashing cursors on the screen.

This also happens with some in-game 2d elements such as the 2d tops of trees.

I've been playing on DX7 until I get to a mission that needs peds shown on maps but it'd be nice to have a nice 100% working method.

I think the DX7 problem is something to do with the way it resizes. If I set the resolution to "Set by the application", the peds shown on map works.

Reply 264 of 341, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recently downloaded dgVoodoo and I have two questions;

1. Need for Speed 2 Special Edition works great with version 1.40+, however I've noticed one minor, but annoying glitch; Parts of the sky flicker from time to time. It doesn't affect the game, but it's distracting and kind of breaks the illusion. Is there any setting I can change to fix this?

2. I've skimmed through this thread and a couple others that were linked, for information about dgVesa. I see people talking about setting options on the "Vesa tab". I assume they're talking about in dgVoodooSetup.exe, however I have no Vesa tab under Windows 98SE. I only have two tabs, Global and Glide. Is there something else I need to do to make the Vesa tab appear?

Reply 265 of 341, by darklocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>1. Need for Speed 2 Special Edition works great with version 1.40+, >however I've noticed one minor, but annoying glitch; Parts of the sky >flicker from time to time. It doesn't affect the game, but it's distracting >and kind of breaks the illusion. Is there any setting I can change to fix >this?

same here, I also get the sky flicker, but I am using version 1.31

maybe I can get lucky by playing with the options

Reply 266 of 341, by darklocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

addition to my last post, which regretfully is out of place.

Need for speed 3 hot pursuit loads using dgvoodoo and I can hear the music and menus changing, there is no video being displayed.

Any ideas, I messed around with the dgvoodoo options, but nothing helped.

nvidia 7800gs agp running dgvoodoo 1.31

P.S. dgvoodoo 1.4 and 1.5 fail to load nfs3

Reply 267 of 341, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Need for speed 3 hot pursuit loads using dgvoodoo and I can hear the music and menus changing, there is no video being displayed […]
Show full quote

Need for speed 3 hot pursuit loads using dgvoodoo and I can hear the music and menus changing, there is no video being displayed.

Any ideas, I messed around with the dgvoodoo options, but nothing helped.

nvidia 7800gs agp running dgvoodoo 1.31

P.S. dgvoodoo 1.4 and 1.5 fail to load nfs3

I have that issue too (although my video card is an nVidia 6200 Go).

I was wondering: since the game runs "fine" in Direct3D mode, except that you cannot use a higher resolution than 800*600 and the options screen is always displayed at 640*480... would it be possible to make a program to override the selected game resolution, and display the game at the resolution YOU decide from the program?
That way, you could run games like NFS3, Daytona USA Deluxe, Virtua Cop 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Incoming... at any resolution you want!

Reply 268 of 341, by combomember

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,,
I really got mad when i ran Need For Speed II : Special Edition when it worked with Dgvoodoo Glide Wrapper and i couldn't believe this high detail graphics.

and here is feedback for the bugs i saw.

sss1zr8.jpg

the Black Color should be Transperent.

here is the full picture:

ssssc8.jpg

and other bug that the game Lags in 2 places:
the first when the camera rotates at the starting of the race.
and second when the special effects (eg. Smoke) are more than 2 cars it also make the game lags.

and For Need for speed 3:Hot pursuit :
when i use the beta version it send me close mesage after the Black screen appear.
and when i use the older version the screen is black and i only hear the sound.

So it didn't work at all.

i am using:

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 512mb DDR2
512MB RAM DDR2
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.00GHz -2MB Cache Memory-
Windows XP Professional Sp2
Hard Drive: 200 GB Sata

Thanksss!!

Reply 273 of 341, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. Was trying to figure out why all of these people were posting about an updated version, thought they were commenting on the older version.

Well just visited the site today: http://dege.freeweb.hu/
Noticed that v1.50 Beta 2 was released on 6-3-2007

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 274 of 341, by mistileme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I am french, sorry of my language if not good....

I tried to play to a not very known game whitch does not appear on the dgvoodoo compatibilitys list!

The game is : "Uprising 2 (Lead and destroy)"
I can see the menu and begin a game but i only see the sky !!

My computer works on winXP with a 6600gt and the option "Force W-buffering" is always on, because if not, it does not match!

Thanks for your help.

Reply 276 of 341, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I found dgVoodoo to be great VESA emulator under WinXP, thanks alot for this I wanted to write similar think. But I have a problem with dgVoodooSetup.exe. I can change all settings but I cannot press OK/Cancel/About buttons (also it seems to be at wrong place). This happen in v1.40, v1.50b1, v1.50b2. under WinXP-SP2 CZ and Win98SE CZ, maybe local language problem? So then when I use dgVoodooSetup.exe from v1.31 it works fine also with new dgVoodoo files. But to be correct I'd like to use also new dgVoodooSetup.exe. Any idea what can co wrong?

Here's a screenshot of both dgVoodooSetup.exe:
OK
dgv131.gif

Wrong
dgv150.gif

Reply 277 of 341, by pol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested version 1.50b2 and as for SWIV3D Assalut it was successful, mid quality of textures subjectively, however objects were staying on theirs places not lifting in air from some angles like in 1.31 😉

And Archimedean Dynasty is still dead for me, didn't laborated with settings too much but at least it's ended with stack overflow and didn't take with yourself whole computer.

Edit: As for 1.50b2 and Swiv3D, here's only one problem and that is, when I quit the game - it's report stack overflow and effectively kill rest of system, slowly. The 1.40+ has no problems so far.

I also compared it to Open Glide (0.09rc9 - dosbox bundled) and quality of open glide textures seems to be slightly better. However order of objects in line of view is not good. Well, these are results for my config.
---
Win98SE
DELL Ati Rage Ultra Turbo 32MB

Reply 278 of 341, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, I tested it on other computer with same WinXP SP2 CZ (installed from same CD but maybe diff updates) and dgVoodooSetup was displayed correctly there. So it maybe something wrong with my windows but I don't have any idea what DLL or so could cause it/how to repair it. Anyway I use older version of dgVoodooSetup and no problem.

Reply 279 of 341, by Chug a Bug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege I'm not sure if you're still reading this thread but I simply can not get 1.50b to work with Vista at all (or any earlier version for that matter.) I've copied glide2x.dll and vddloader.dll to \system32 but it's still a no go. I've tried TR1 that you said you got working but absolutely nothing, I can get dosdrv to start up I get a message saying "Loading VDDloader.dll" and I get the DOS/4GW etc messages appear.... and thats it. The VDMS Launchpad window just hangs at that point. I get umpteen messages popup about "this system does not support fullscreen mode" etc, I click "Ignore" but nothing further happens.

Any ideas?