VOGONS

DgVoodoo 1 Discussion Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 102 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, could someone send me a savegame of a level in Carmageddon where the fog should be black, plz? (now that i come to think of it, can gameplays be saved at all in Carma? 😁 )

I've finished the first 3 levels or so, in the days of long-ago. 😀

EDIT:
Ok, I've had a look at Carma and dgV again. Carma seems not to set the fog color, but relies on its default value (which is 0, so that black). Setting the default was missed in dgv. I've fixed it, now first 2 levels have black fog, 3rd is fogless. Is it what it should be? And now my question is, which level should have white fog? 😁 😁

Reply 103 of 341, by Flint Eastwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege.

I'm so stupid. I solved my problem with GTA. There was a new driver for my ATI-Radeon9700Mobility and since I'm using it GTA works fine on 1.31 and 1.40b. In 1.40b I experienced sometimes flashing polygones over the whole screen while driving. Seems to be a clipping problem, but no problem since 1.31 is working.

With 1.40b in TR1 is Lara not visible. Is this the W-buffering problem? In 1.31 everything is fine.

Hmm. Archimedean Dynasty doesn't work on 1.31 and 1.40b with the new driver. I had to try it. Unfortunatelly there is no ability to install Win98 on my Laptop because there are no graphic-drivers. It seems that I have to wait.

Reply 104 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Flint,

I'm so stupid. I solved my problem with GTA. There was a new driver for my ATI-Radeon9700Mobility and since I'm using it GTA works fine on 1.31 and 1.40b. In 1.40b I experienced sometimes flashing polygones over the whole screen while driving. Seems to be a clipping problem, but no problem since 1.31 is working.

Ahh, so could it be a driver problem? 😀
I tested dgv with gta on 3 different PCs, each with different configs, with different dgv settings, and there was no any problems. But, it's still suspicious... (why does 1.31 work then?) 😐
(What clipping method do you use in dgV, its own one or D3D-clipping?)

BTW, what about the new GTA re-release that Zebius mentioned? I haven't tried that yet, but I'm going to. 😀

With 1.40b in TR1 is Lara not visible. Is this the W-buffering problem? In 1.31 everything is fine.

Yes, it's that.
It can be fixed by setting two bits in the dll header to make it use other w-buff capability detection than drawing test (sometimes a hexa editor can be a nostrum 😁 😁 ), but I'm going to release a beta r2 soon. 😀

Hmm. Archimedean Dynasty doesn't work on 1.31 and 1.40b with the new driver. I had to try it

And, I must say that AD won't work with final 1.40 too, it seems to be a relatively hard work to fix it. Win98 won't help there, it's not an XP-related issue. 🙁

Reply 105 of 341, by Flint Eastwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege.

In GTA I have to use D3D-Clipping, otherwise the game doesn't recognise a 3Dfx-Card and I get back to the menu. I'm using the old Original CD-Version of GTA.
Zebius is speaking about the freeware-release by Rockstar Games. It is a Windows-Version with support for D3D-Cards(only for D3D) and runs without any CD. There is no 3dfx-Support. The graphics are not better and not worse than the old 3dfx-Version.

Reply 106 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In GTA I have to use D3D-Clipping, otherwise the game doesn't recognise a 3Dfx-Card and I get back to

It's very strange thing, no idea. Try the logging version of next beta, and see what's in the logfile.

In 1.40b I experienced sometimes flashing polygones over the whole screen while driving. Seems to be a clipping problem, but no problem since 1.31 is working.

However, big thanks to you for pointing this out, indeed, there was a fatal bug in d3d-clipping. In fact, not in d3d-clipping, but in vertex converting routines themself. 😀
I hate code refactoring... I hate...

I've tried new GTA. I don't understand what the news is (apart from CD tracks), GTA already had directdraw support. 😕

Reply 110 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right, I get the same. Probably it's intended to be the error msg indicating that dgv isn't set to server mode. 😀 I messed up sg again.
But, it worked when I set it to server mode in the setup.

EDIT: All the strings were missing, fixed and re-released the beta. A logging version is also available.

Reply 111 of 341, by Flint Eastwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege.

Forget the Clipping-Problem in GTA with 1.40b. I can disable the D3D-Clipping but I have to restart the computer. Then all graphics in GTA(full-version) are fine.

I downloaded the 3dfxDemo of GTA and I played a bit with the settings of DGV 1.40b. There was a surprise: When "Enable texture tiles" is turned off the demo shows only HUD, the rest is black. The full-version of GTA is fine. When "Enable texture tiles" is turned on the demo only shows 3D-Graphics and the HUD is not drawn. But the full-version is still fine. With DGV 1.40bR2 I got the same results.

Hmm. I dont want to bring bad news but in TR1 there are not all textures with DGV 1.40bR2.
Here is a part of the Logfile:

Entering DosNTEntryPoint() in server
Server: waiting for a client to be servedgrSstWinopen:
required refresh rate: 60
grSstWinopen: InitDraw() OK
grSstWinopen: InitMovie() OK
grSstWinopen: lpD3D->CreateDevice() OK
Warning: startup: Paletted textures are not supported! Is it an nVidia card? If yes, why does not it support them??? Argh...
W-buffering: Relying on driver flags, true W-buffering CANNOT be used, using emulated W-buffering instead!

But I also have some good news. You said Archimedean Dynasty will not run with DGV in Win98 or WinXP. Here is a shot made on my GeForce3 PC with Win98 and DGV1.31 (newer versions reach not ingame but I don't know why). There are some depth-problems and something with the fog isn't right but it is playable. While loading the mission I had to change fast to the console and after start of the mission I had to change back to the server. Otherwise the game crashed. I will write down the DGV-settings soon for you.

Attachments

• TR1-1_40bR2.jpg
    Filename
    TR1-1_40bR2.jpg
    File size
    8.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    shot on the 1.PC(The Radeon Laptop)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • FIGHT3001.jpg
    Filename
    FIGHT3001.jpg
    File size
    71.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    shot on the 2. PC(The GeForce PC)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

i7 870 + Zotac 470GTX AMP! + 12GB RAM + Win7 64Bit

Reply 112 of 341, by chrisis123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Flint - For Archimedean Dynasty: Did you try just one level or all? For me AD does work with a few missions, but other just crash on start (those are always the same, btw!).

I'm using WinXP, wit nolfb and vdmsound with an ATI Radeon 7500, newest catalyst (at least, blue screen has disappeared with this version!). The problem is the same with dgvoodoo 1.31 and 1.40 beta.

Something else I have recognized: The desktop in dgvoodoo setup must be on 32 Bit depth, on 16 Bit everything looks normal, as long, as you don't lock an object. Then, suddenly, everything becomes blue...

So, as long, as the crashes at starting some missions consist, AD sadly isn't really playable. I hope, these problems get sorted out sometime in the future!

Reply 113 of 341, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was going to try this 3dfx demo of X-Car with dgVoodoo (before trying Moody's batch file on the Voodoo 3) when I noticed the glide.ovl file mentioned in the readme isn't in the 1.31/1.40beta archives.

Dege, I was just wondering if this file was left out intentionally or if not could you maybe attach it in a post or PM? I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one out there trying to mess with this in DOS Glide 2.11 heh.

Just ignore me if I'm being a pain in the arse 🤣. You'll still have all the kudos in the world here. 😀

Reply 114 of 341, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back again 😁 ,

Forget the Clipping-Problem in GTA with 1.40b. I can disable the D3D-Clipping but I have to restart the computer. Then all graphics in GTA(full-version) are fine.

It sounds very strange to me! Why do you have to restart the computer? 😕

I downloaded the 3dfxDemo of GTA and I played a bit with the settings of DGV 1.40b. There was a surprise: When "Enable texture tiles" is turned off the demo shows only HUD, the rest is black. The full-version of GTA is fine. When "Enable texture tiles" is turned on the demo only shows 3D-Graphics and the HUD is not drawn. But the full-version is still fine.

Yes, it's true. I haven't tried the demo so far. But, now all those bugs are fixed.

Hmm. I dont want to bring bad news but in TR1 there are not all textures with DGV 1.40bR2.

Hmm, does only 1.40Br2 do it, or r1 too?

But I also have some good news. You said Archimedean Dynasty will not run with DGV in Win98 or WinXP.

Well, sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't. 😀 I tried to make the demo work, and one of the missions seemed to work. But, it's going to be hard to fix, so, 1.40 won't support it... 🙁

Something else I have recognized: The desktop in dgvoodoo setup must be on 32 Bit depth, on 16 Bit everything looks normal, as long, as you don't lock an object. Then, suddenly, everything becomes blue...

I've made several fixes in routines managing the LFB, hopefully it will solve this problem too...

@Flashback: Yes, glide.ovl is removed from dgVoodoo intentionally. When I added Glide2.11 support in dgV, I wrote the glide.dll and glide.ovl as well.
But, some time later I realized that glide.ovl has no use 😀 , since the Glide2.11 library for Dos was linked statically to the executables (I downloaded the SDK). This means that they won't search for glide.ovl, as the driver is included in the executable itself.
(That's why I removed DOS Glide2.11 in dgv1.40, so that, the version selecting dialog won't pop up when starting the server).

Reply 115 of 341, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah that explains it. Thanks for clearing that up. 😎

By the way, I finally found a preowned copy of Mechwarrior 2 Enhanced for the Diamond Monster 3D at my local game shop for $3 heh. I'm happy to report that it works extremely well with dgV 1.31 glide.dll. 😀

Really appreciate the reply.

Cheers 😀

Reply 118 of 341, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 98SE. I didn't even bother trying it on XP since it's a Windows version and none of the others ever work. Still haven't got around to downloading the latest ACT as suggested by HunterZ in the other thread. Guess I'm just content with it working in '98 heh.

Reply 119 of 341, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ACT 4.0 contains fixes for "Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat" and "Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Trilogy". I don't know if either applies to your version.

ACT 4.0 detects the first entry by the presence of the following files:
_INS0432._MP
_MINST.EXE
MECH2.EX_
MECH2\MW2.PRJ

The latter is identified by these files:
Mech.ico (with size of 766 bytes and checksum of 0xD0C3D068)
MW2WIN.EXE
WAIL32.DLL